Elementary school shooting in Conneticut (1 Viewer)

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
bond university eh

bachelor of i bought my way into a degree majoring in not good enough for anywhere else

Dash8

HSC
bond university eh

bachelor of i bought my way into a degree majoring in not good enough for anywhere else
It's people like you that give Bond a bad name. How about you stick to the topic and stop insulting my personal choices?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
oh, your choice was personal was it

oh i see

i guess that makes it entirely above judgement

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Just because I hold an opposing viewpoint to you doesn't make me or annyone else dumb.

Also, you can't compare guns and knives in this situation (assuming you meant knives in the kitchen drawer). It's much easier to kill a lot more people with a semi-automatic gun than a knife. Also, knives are much more necessary than guns in society. Maybe you should learn to put a coherent thought process together before you derp all over the place....
Gosh.

you ban guns, guns will still be used.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Just because I hold an opposing viewpoint to you doesn't make me or annyone else dumb.

Also, you can't compare guns and knives in this situation (assuming you meant knives in the kitchen drawer). It's much easier to kill a lot more people with a semi-automatic gun than a knife. Also, knives are much more necessary than guns in society. Maybe you should learn to put a coherent thought process together before you derp all over the place....
so you concede that guns are at least necessary in some form

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
can you imagine if every muslim in australia was armed?

Dash8

HSC
oh, your choice was personal was it

oh i see

i guess that makes it entirely above judgement
In this thread, yes it does. My decision to go to Bond University has nothing to do with gun laws. Also, Alexis' comment was just rude and uncalled for....

Dash8

HSC
Gosh.

you ban guns, guns will still be used.
Yeah I'm not denying that there will still be a black market for guns, but in countries where strict gun laws have been enforced, such as here in Australia, Japan, UK etc, I honestly believe that there will be a lot less shootings, particularly mass shootings. Since Australia enforced its strict gun laws after 1996, there have been no mass shootings since the Port Arthur massacre.

For the people here that support the idea that the general public should have easy access to firearms in order to protect themselves, can you please explain to me why so many people have died in US shootings and massacres? And why the US has the highest death rate due to shootings among all the developed nations? Please tell me how relaxed gun laws are protecting the people of America, I'd love to here your opinions...

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah I'm not denying that there will still be a black market for guns, but in countries where strict gun laws have been enforced, such as here in Australia, Japan, UK etc, I honestly believe that there will be a lot less shootings, particularly mass shootings. Since Australia enforced its strict gun laws after 1996, there have been no mass shootings since the Port Arthur massacre.

For the people here that support the idea that the general public should have easy access to firearms in order to protect themselves, can you please explain to me why so many people have died in US shootings and massacres? And why the US has the highest death rate due to shootings among all the developed nations? Please tell me how relaxed gun laws are protecting the people of America, I'd love to here your opinions...
The gun laws are not relaxed in the US.
What is wrong with you?
Laws in the US are pretty much equal to ours in regards to buying and ownership. The only difference would be their storage (which ill concede needs to be fixed) and their reason to buy.
Majority of those mass shootings in the US occured due to mental instability in the shooters. ~Your~ evidence even stated it.

Dash8

HSC
The gun laws are not relaxed in the US.
What is wrong with you?
Laws in the US are pretty much equal to ours in regards to buying and ownership. The only difference would be their storage (which ill concede needs to be fixed) and their reason to buy.
Majority of those mass shootings in the US occured due to mental instability in the shooters. ~Your~ evidence even stated it.
As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with me.

Compared to other developed countries, US gun laws are very relaxed. I picked a random state in the US, Utah, and looked up their laws regarding guns. In Utah, you don't need a permit, your gun doesn't need to be registered and you are allowed to own assault weapons....Utah isn't the only state with such relaxed legislation. In Australia, assault weapons are restricted, meaning only collecters can have them and they must be inoperable and properly stored. There is also a long and exhaustive licensing process to get a gun permit. US laws are not "pretty much equal to ours".

"The New York Times has referred to Australia's gun laws as a "road map" for the US, saying that "in the 18 years before the law, Australia suffered 13 mass shootings - but not one in the 14 years after the law took full effect." ABC news

"Experts from the Harvard School of Public Health, using data from 26 developed countries, have shown that wherever there are more firearms, there are more homicides. In the case of the United States, exponentially more: the American murder rate is roughly 15 times that of other wealthy countries, which have much tougher laws controlling private ownership of guns." New York Times

And yes, my source did say that many of the shootings occured because of mentally instable people, who legally obtained guns. Stricter laws may have prevented them getting their hands on a gun.

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
In this thread, yes it does. My decision to go to Bond University has nothing to do with gun laws. Also, Alexis' comment was just rude and uncalled for....
i love when people refer to me as Alexis on here

google alexis texas she is just prolific

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with me.

Compared to other developed countries, US gun laws are very relaxed. I picked a random state in the US, Utah, and looked up their laws regarding guns. In Utah, you don't need a permit, your gun doesn't need to be registered and you are allowed to own assault weapons....Utah isn't the only state with such relaxed legislation. In Australia, assault weapons are restricted, meaning only collecters can have them and they must be inoperable and properly stored. There is also a long and exhaustive licensing process to get a gun permit. US laws are not "pretty much equal to ours".
Random my ass, you picked a state that has the most liberal gun laws in the US, but still has prohibitations in place to stop criminals and the mentaly unstable buying them legally

"The New York Times has referred to Australia's gun laws as a "road map" for the US, saying that "in the 18 years before the law, Australia suffered 13 mass shootings - but not one in the 14 years after the law took full effect." ABC news

"Experts from the Harvard School of Public Health, using data from 26 developed countries, have shown that wherever there are more firearms, there are more homicides. In the case of the United States, exponentially more: the American murder rate is roughly 15 times that of other wealthy countries, which have much tougher laws controlling private ownership of guns." New York Times
Legally acquired firearms or illegal firearms?

You can outright ban firearms, but people will still get one if they want one, look at the previous post by Sylvia, Pot is banned in Australia, but its one of the easiest drugs to get.

And yes, my source did say that many of the shootings occured because of mentally instable people, who legally obtained guns. Stricter laws may have prevented them getting their hands on a gun.
False, the statistics said the guns were legally bought. They didnt say by whom. In the recent shooting it was his mother who bought the firearms.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
bond university eh

Come on, with a wonderful ATAR like 88.75 he could've also gone to such fine establishments as UoC, ACU, ANU (no offense, but it's in Canberra), etc. lol

Dash8

HSC
Random my ass, you picked a state that has the most liberal gun laws in the US, but still has prohibitations in place to stop criminals and the mentaly unstable buying them legally

Legally acquired firearms or illegal firearms?

You can outright ban firearms, but people will still get one if they want one, look at the previous post by Sylvia, Pot is banned in Australia, but its one of the easiest drugs to get.

False, the statistics said the guns were legally bought. They didnt say by whom. In the recent shooting it was his mother who bought the firearms.
I can assure you I picked Utah randomly....Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Washington, Texas, Pennsylvania and Oklahoma also have a lack of legislation very similar to Utah. Hawaii is the only state that I have found so far that requires a permit to purchase a gun, for the gun to be registered and a ban on assault weapons.

Those quotes are talking about all firearms, legally or illegally acquired. Pot is not a gun or weapon...its totally different so not point in comparing guns to that. What I'm trying to say (and have already said in numerous posts) is that strict gun laws (by Australian or Japanese Standards, not American) reduce deaths from firearms. I know there will be the few people that get access to illegal guns, but if legal ones are banned then less guns are in circulation and, therefore, less guns will enter the illegal market.

Also, please read my links correctly. The statistics says that the vast majority of killers obtained weapons legally. Here is the link again:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...guns-and-mass-shootings-in-the-united-states/

Finally, this is another reason why there needs to be stricter gun controls in the US. Why was is necessary that the killer's mother needed guns? And why did she keep guns in a house where her mentally unstable child was living? Seems crazy to me.

Also, there has been another shooting, this time in Pennsylvania:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/22/us/gunman-kills-3-in-central-pennsylvania.html

It astounds me that people continue to believe that giving the general public access to guns is the right thing to do.....Come on guys use some common sense here :/

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
dash8's comments are just a smokescreen for the anti-muslim agenda in australia, for those who support draconian gun laws that, in truth, only keep guns out of muslims hands for fear of a righteous and timely uprising

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I can assure you I picked Utah randomly....Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Washington, Texas, Pennsylvania and Oklahoma also have a lack of legislation very similar to Utah. Hawaii is the only state that I have found so far that requires a permit to purchase a gun, for the gun to be registered and a ban on assault weapons.
Hawaii has had mass shootings before, and you said its more restricted state?

Hurrdurr.

Those quotes are talking about all firearms, legally or illegally acquired. Pot is not a gun or weapon...its totally different so not point in comparing guns to that. What I'm trying to say (and have already said in numerous posts) is that strict gun laws (by Australian or Japanese Standards, not American) reduce deaths from firearms. I know there will be the few people that get access to illegal guns, but if legal ones are banned then less guns are in circulation and, therefore, less guns will enter the illegal market.
Lol please the argument is still valid.
You ban something, people will still do it or use it. Just now you've got criminals who have it all and the people who hadnt broken a law being punished.

Also, please read my links correctly. The statistics says that the vast majority of killers obtained weapons legally. Here is the link again:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...guns-and-mass-shootings-in-the-united-states/
Interestingly enough "their" evidence links back to this http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map which only states they were legally obtained, it makes no mention from whom.
Finally, this is another reason why there needs to be stricter gun controls in the US. Why was is necessary that the killer's mother needed guns? And why did she keep guns in a house where her mentally unstable child was living? Seems crazy to me.
People like collecting guns, go figure. I've already conceded they need to revamp their storage regulations but she has every right to buy one, to the same extent im allowed to go out and buy a hunting compound bow.
Also, there has been another shooting, this time in Pennsylvania:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/22/us/gunman-kills-3-in-central-pennsylvania.html

It astounds me that people continue to believe that giving the general public access to guns is the right thing to do.....Come on guys use some common sense here :/

Common sense would dictate that people shouldnt beat a dead horse, but here we are again.
Common sense would dictate that people are perfectly capable of owning a firearm and using it for hunting or target shooting.
Common sense would dictate that shit happens in the world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)