Electrolysis of water (1 Viewer)

ubermale

HSC
For chemistry, we have to answer this question:
Describe the process of electrolysis of water using electron dot diagrams to assist your description.

I know the set up for electrolysis, i.e. battery, wires, cathode, anode, electrolyte, etc. But for this question I can't seem to explain why oxygen is produced at the anode and hydrogen at the cathode. I know it has something to do with reduction and oxidation reactions but I don't fully understand the concept.

P.S. For this question, we are assuming that sulfuric acid (H2SO4) is the electrolyte used.

Any help would be very, very much appreciated.

HSC
ubermale said:
For chemistry, we have to answer this question:
Describe the process of electrolysis of water using electron dot diagrams to assist your description.

I know the set up for electrolysis, i.e. battery, wires, cathode, anode, electrolyte, etc. But for this question I can't seem to explain why oxygen is produced at the anode and hydrogen at the cathode. I know it has something to do with reduction and oxidation reactions but I don't fully understand the concept.

P.S. For this question, we are assuming that sulfuric acid (H2SO4) is the electrolyte used.

Any help would be very, very much appreciated.
Cathode= Negative
Anode= Positive

When water dissociates it creates, as im sure you know, hydrogen and oxygen. Hydrogen has an overall delta charge of + (positive) and oxygen - (negative).
Therefore when water is dissociated during electrolysis hydrogen will collect at the Cathode and oxygen will collect at the Anode.

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

PS. Sulfuric acid is used as a catalyst. It helps induce higher conductivity in the water. Just a little bit more info 4 u :).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)