electrolysis, electroplating (1 Viewer)

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
From what I undestand we don't need to know anything about electrolysis and electropplating for the Production of Materials Module. But for those people doing Shipwrecks they do need to know this stuff. Is this correct?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by marsenal
From what I undestand we don't need to know anything about electrolysis and electropplating for the Production of Materials Module. But for those people doing Shipwrecks they do need to know this stuff. Is this correct?
Looking at the version of the syllabus that tracks changes, it seems you're partially right. You only seem to need to know about electrolysis and electroplating in a theoretical sense without industrial examples, those points have been struck out. I'm sure that they are still required in shipwrecks though, that is the so-called redox elective :p.

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
Re: Re: electrolysis, electroplating

Originally posted by kini mini

You only seem to need to know about electrolysis and electroplating in a theoretical sense without industrial examples, those points have been struck out.
By that do you mean just knowing that electrolysis is the conversion of electrical energy into chemical and that it can be used to coat/protect metals, etc. Would you need to know the distinctions between an electrolytic cell and a galvanic cell, and do you think we'd need to be able to draw the electrolytic cell. I'm referring just to Module 1 here, not the redox elective.
Thanks for your help kini mini.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
electroplating and electrolysis is NOT AT ALL required for the first core module..

but i'm doing shipwrecks so i guess i should learn it

btw we did it in prelim too! if u remember

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
If I remembered, I wouldn't be asking this question. But I think we might be doing Shipwrecks or Idustrial Chemistry, not sure if my teacher has decided yet. So I might have to learn it either way, but for the time being I'll just ignore it.

kini mini

HSC
Re: Re: Re: electrolysis, electroplating

As you can see from the page I've extracted from the syllabus here, there is no explicit mention of electrolysis or electroplating. What I meant by theoretical sense is that you have to understand the redox reactions behind those proceses, but not the specific processes. The change in title of the subsection to "Oxidation-reduction reactions are increasingly important as a source of energy" seems to indicate a shift in focus towards batteries :).

However, I think that it's worth at least reading over the textbook descriptions of electrolysis and electroplating while the principle is fresh in your mind. They are quite easy to understand if you think about them clearly, and more worryingly if you find them difficult it could indicate that you don't understand redox very well.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Re: Re: Re: Re: electrolysis, electroplating

Originally posted by kini mini
The change in title of the subsection to "Oxidation-reduction reactions are increasingly important as a source of energy" seems to indicate a shift in focus towards batteries :).

i agree.. actually a lot of that section is devoted to batteries and the chemistry behind the various cells ie. leclanche, vanadium redox etc.

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
I understand redox reactions. But when it comes to the batteries, I am yet to memorise structure/uses, etc of a particular cell.
Thanks for your help guys.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by marsenal
I understand redox reactions. But when it comes to the batteries, I am yet to memorise structure/uses, etc of a particular cell.
Thanks for your help guys.
yeah memorising the structures and impact on society, environment is pretty boring.. according to me

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y

yeah memorising the structures and impact on society, environment is pretty boring.. according to me
If you pick something like the mercury or lead-acid cell than you can make up a whole lot of stuff about how bad it is for the environment, heavy metal poisoning etc pretty easily

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)