Elec engineering (1 Viewer)

Simile

HSC
N/A
I got my ATAR, and I was wondering if UTS OR UNSW Better for Elec engineering. I only did adv maths, so I was just wondering if there is a class for that lets you catch up with the rest of students.

Thanks.

astroman

HSC
Re: uac courses

UNSW is better but UTS is good too, and bridging courses are available for learning what you did not learn in highschool, i think bridging courses for UNSW are starting from the 19th of January.

Simile

HSC
N/A
oh ok. Thanks. But i thought there are different types of Math classes in Engo, where they let them catch up to the others if they dont possess the necessary skills.

Silly Sausage

HSC
Both UTS and UNSW offer foundation math subjects that you can do before the normal math units. At UTS you can enrol in fundamental maths before MM1 (takes up elective space) and at UNSW you can enrol similarly before MATH1131 (may prolong degree but I'm not sure). You're probably better off doing bridging courses for ext 1 (free if you're enrolled at UTS).
As for universities both are are good for EE but what you need to worry about is the crazy maths/physics you'll encounter in your later year subjects so it is important you get them up to scratch.

I would not regard 2U as advanced maths rather just normal mathematics

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
In regards to which uni you want to pick, both are good for EE and have respectable industry ties. Pick the uni which you think is best for you and factor in other things such as travel, uni lifestyle, etc.

As for maths at UNSW, you can do MATH1131 with only 2U knowledge, but it would be a bit of a struggle if you don't self learn a little bit before starting uni. Whether it be bridging course or independently, I highly recommend you get up to scratch with at least MX1 as that is assumed knowledge.

Simile

HSC
N/A
I live in Ctown (campbelltown), so both are alright for travel etc. I am catching up on the ext 1 work and a bit of physics but i just wanted to make sure that i dont fall back on the course when I start, thus i was wondering about the foundation maths.

I dont think the bridging courses at UTS are free anymore. Im not absolutely sure. \

If i chose foundation maths, does it prolong my degree AD?

Silly Sausage

HSC

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I think they started charging for the book now, it used to be entirely free.

If you have to do foundation maths, Math Modelling 2 typically runs over summer - so you can catch up.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I live in Ctown (campbelltown), so both are alright for travel etc. I am catching up on the ext 1 work and a bit of physics but i just wanted to make sure that i dont fall back on the course when I start, thus i was wondering about the foundation maths.

I dont think the bridging courses at UTS are free anymore. Im not absolutely sure. \

If i chose foundation maths, does it prolong my degree AD?
Factor in everything you an think of which will affect you over the next few years then choose the uni you want to go to.

If you can complete MX1 before you start then you will be fine and shouldn't fall behind much. Many students start Engineering with MX1 level of knowledge and do fine. However don't fall behind and laze off because I've seen some barely scrape a pass, while some get DN and HD.

Hmm if you do MATH1011 at UNSW it will mean you have to do an extra course in total (an extra 6 units of credit which are not mandatory) for completion of your program.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2015/MATH1011.html

You can still finish on time, however it causes a few problems as MATH1131 is a corequisite for PHYS1121 so they will both get pushed back as well, etc. Pretty much in the end you'll have to do PHYS1231 and MATH1231 next summer to stay on time with your program.

Simile

HSC
N/A
ok. It will be between unsw or uts. Have you encountered any geometry/circle geometry in elec engo?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
ok. It will be between unsw or uts. Have you encountered any geometry/circle geometry in elec engo?
elec engo's at UNSW would have done MATH1131/1231 and they didn't have any of that in it

Simile

HSC
N/A

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Do you know when the readiness survey for UTS is?
Definitely after bridging courses finish. When I did it it was online, multiple choice and allowed multiple attempts - I think it was even still available shortly after uni started. I've heard it's now done in person, people probably cheated and struggled in mm1 i'm guessing.

https://my.feit.uts.edu.au/pages/course/undergraduate/new_students

It says sometime before the semester starts and you will be contacted.
I think that is outdated, apparently they axed O-Camp for this year.

such_such

HSC
Even though they assume you know MX1 they sort of teach it again (just quickly I guess). I'm sure that if you stay up to date with your work you should be fine. Also tbh high school physics doesn't really help imo.

Simile

HSC
N/A
i will focus more on the maths concepts then. Thanks everyone. When we choose our math and phy, do they explain it to us?

Simile

HSC
N/A
oh ok. Does any uni have any prerequisites as subjects for engo?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
oh ok. Does any uni have any prerequisites as subjects for engo?
For Engineering at UNSW, MX1 and Physics are assumed knowledge (not prerequisite though). However, you do get taught the basics of them as you go along, but it goes by very quickly so it may be a bit difficult to catch up if you haven't done some study before hand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)