Einsteins thought expiremints. (1 Viewer)

-X-

HSC
N/A
Do we have to know all of them? I remember our teacher saying that with the new syllabus, we only need to know one but which one?

Thanks

-X-

HSC
N/A
So no need for the trains and mirror ones? Twins paradox was taken out, yes.

Edit: No but the sylabus says "analyse and interpret some of Einsteins thought experiments involving mirrors and trains and discuss the relationship between thought and reality"

Last edited:

jims

HSC
i think the dot pt implied that you just chose any one and learnt it.
i would of thought the train and mirror ones (which are the simultaneous event ones) are the easiest to remember.

Shoey

"Trains and mirrors" could also be referring to the time dilation thought experiment - one light clock on the side of the tracks, one light clock on the train.

I think the word experiments sorta implies you need to know both the simultaneity and the time dilation one. But only generally, I don't think you'd have to know the formulas for the distance travelled by the light beams in the time dilation experiment.

"Discuss the relationship between thought and reality" - that's a great philosophy question. Maybe if they said "...in relation to scientific experiments", or something, they wouldn't appear as stupid. To our physics class, anyway.

-X-

HSC
N/A
What about the thought experiment showing showing the relativity of length? On page 91 of jacaranda.

Dangar

Originally posted by -X-
What about the thought experiment showing showing the relativity of length? On page 91 of jacaranda.
Would you be able to post an explanation of this one plz? i know all the other ones but i don't think I've ever heard this one and i can't get a jacaranda

Excalibur

Ohh i love these exp's everyone in my class goes off at me for it but they are great!!!!!

The one i choose is a train that gets robbed in a tunnel (length of train fits perfectly into tunnel) basically:

Thoughts of robber- "that train is so short it'll easy fit in the tunnel"

Thoughts of passenger in middle of train - "omg i'm gonna die that tunnel is so small we'll never fit"

Reality - the train fits exactly into the tunnel because despite all relativistic effects we know that when stationary with respect to each other (as they will be when the train is engulfed by the tunnel) the train fits perfectly into the tunnel!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)