Einstein 'n' Aether. (1 Viewer)

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
How exactly did Einstein disprove the existence of the aether in his thought experiment about the light-speed moving train?

Yes I know you can't detect your motion on a train, nor can the light be perceived to go twice the speed of light in any frame of reference.

That still doesn't explain how he cancelled out the existence of the aether.

Last edited:

Mathematician

He didnt disprove it, he just made its existence unnecessary if i recall correctly.
Someone explain more , im forgetting too.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
he proved that the speed of light is constant for all observers in all non inertia frames of reference so there is no ether.

if there was an ether, there should b a noticable difference

ummm... i dont think i answered ur question.

hmmz...

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
How did he prove that the speed of light was constant in non-inertial frames?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
How did he prove that the speed of light was constant in non-inertial frames?
Let's be careful with our language here. Strictly speaking, Einstein no more proved that the speed of light was constant in non-inertial frames than Columbus discovered America. What Einstein did was provide a theory which accounted for the experimental evidence of Michelson & Morley and others, that is that there was no reason to believe in the aether, and his theory also posited that the speed of light was constant and it was distance and time that varied. Therefore, Einstein helped to prove the constancy of the speed of light but I don't feel that you should view his theory in isolation for all its innovation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)