Einstein and Planck (1 Viewer)

geniass

I have to do an research assessment on the dot point, Discuss Einstein and Planck's differing views on whether science research is removed from social and political forces.

So far I have got that:
Einstein believed that science should be removed from social and ploitical forces, Planck did not.

Einstein was an activist for world peace and signed a petition for peace at the beginning of WW1. Planck was a patriot who supported the Nazi regime, signed a manefesto supporting Germany's invasion of Belgium.

Einstein asked US president Roosevelt to provide funds to ensure that the US developed nuclear weapons before Germany, although he never supported the development of nuclear weapons. He even discussed the dangers associated with their development.

Planck saw Germany's rapid research as a benefit to all of Germany.

Can anybody help me with anything else?

geniass

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I thought that Planck and Einstein basically agreed, but Planck wasnt really open about it at first.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
search BOS ....craploads of discussions in the past...

this was the epitomy of HSC physic's generic bullshitting question... home those skills u'll do fine :)

planck was patriot, and also scientific purist who believed that works in science are removed from the rest of the world and whatever research done was for the altruistic purpose of "good for science's sake." the outcome scientific work is for bureaucrats and administrators to take care of and none of the scientists concern(as long as it furthered the scientific purpose)... also see ferma's view as he worked on manhattan proj.

einstein started out like that until WW2 where he was forced 2 reconsider his stance. he felt that science must fit into the reality we inhabit, and interact with the greater society. scientists arent hermits in some isolated hubs scratching chalks on creaky blackboards....their work contribue and hence must affect society in someway ... einstein believed that therefor the scientists must take some responsbility in their work to consider the greater needs of humanity. - his involment in the manhattan project was 1 of the greatest regrets of Eistein... for this reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)