Effects of mass increase on relativistic space flight... (1 Viewer)

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
this is in reference to the syllabus point:

discuss the implications of mass increase, time dilation, and length contraction to space travel.

Now time dilation is easy, but how about length and mass?

A simple response to mass might be that mass increases needing more fuel, but this seems to simplistic as the processes should occur within the frame of reference and should be ok.

Likewise, how does length contraction impact on space travel?

Any ideas?

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
from the travellers perspective (relative motion) the distance to be travelled will seem shorter due to length contraction so effectively, less fuel will be needed.
same deal for time dilation.. the trip time will seem shorter.
so it's no probs for the on-board travellers.

but because of mass increase, for us on earth, the spaceship's gonna seem heavier and heavier. The cost of producing enough energy to launch such a mother of a ship is a bit beyond us.

i think anyway.

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+
from the travellers perspective (relative motion) the distance to be travelled will seem shorter due to length contraction so effectively, less fuel will be needed.
same deal for time dilation.. the trip time will seem shorter.
so it's no probs for the on-board travellers.

but because of mass increase, for us on earth, the spaceship's gonna seem heavier and heavier. The cost of producing enough energy to launch such a mother of a ship is a bit beyond us.

i think anyway.
yeah see thats kinda all I got, but i dunno it just seems to obvious.

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by ...
Rahul might be helpful in this area ;)
what's that sposed to mean? :p

main things you neeed to understand this is the term 'relative'.
the relativity of simulataenity basically explains that an event for one person will be differently viewed by a person in another frame of reference.

as for relativistic implications on space travel, i think its important to understand time dilation firstly. since you understand this, it should make length contraction easier. you just need to keep in mind the s=d/t relationship of time and length.

as for mass, again you have to keep the term 'relative' in mind. for the people on board, everything will be 'normal'. but observers on earth will notice that the mass will increase infintely. the graph of the speed/speed of light vs the mass increases exponentially. it makes it impossible to reach the speed of light or near impossible to reach relativistic speeds. but thats not really important in dealing with the concept, its a thought experiment.

i think, that length and time dilation would 'assist' space travel, but mass dilation poses problems.

Last edited:

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
mass dun actually increase exponentially, its asymptotic as u draw near c, making it impossible to accelerate to c, restricting the speed in this convention

as for time dilation, 1 disadvantage is that it essentially make long trips useless. by that i mean for 20 yrs to pass on ship, thousands or millions of yrs might have passed on earth, or its destination, which makes its original purpose obsolete, alsio newer technology that enables faster travel may be developed and can overtake the old, eg. a peioneer ship may set out first but arrive at destination 1000 yrs after it has already been inhabited or colonised or whateva

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
mass dun actually increase exponentially, its asymptotic as u draw near c, making it impossible to accelerate to c, restricting the speed in this convention
yes sorry thats what i meant. :D

for that time dilation point, very interesting :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)