Effectiveness of Online Courses? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I recently stumbled across various online courses for Year 11 Physics such as the Macquarie StudyLab, Learnable, Atomi etc. and I was wondering if anyone has done them so I can get a good idea of how effective they are. Are they good and viable substitutes for tutoring? Thanks.

YonOra

HSC
Some of my friends have used Atomi, and from what I've heard it's fairly good for VERY basic concepts of whatever topic you're studying. It structures the very foundation of the topic, with very generalised and non-academic (for the lack of a better word) language, diagrams, etc. I think thats what you'll find for all of them.

So it's not a direct substitute, as i would imagine tutoring is specific to the person, as appose to these programs where they teach to the 'lowest denominator'.

HSC
Some of my friends have used Atomi, and from what I've heard it's fairly good for VERY basic concepts of whatever topic you're studying. It structures the very foundation of the topic, with very generalised and non-academic (for the lack of a better word) language, diagrams, etc. I think thats what you'll find for all of them.

So it's not a direct substitute, as i would imagine tutoring is specific to the person, as appose to these programs where they teach to the 'lowest denominator'.
Would you have a good recommendation for a solid substitute for tutoring (in particular Physics)?

YonOra

HSC
I don't do physics (or any sciences for that matter, thank god), but theres an abundance of resources out there. Or maybe consider alumni tutors? A lot of the high performers at my school (who do science) will often go to students, not institutions etc.

Ye so, for sciences not the best person to ask, sorry. (too opinionated about tutoring lol)

HSC
I don't do physics (or any sciences for that matter, thank god), but theres an abundance of resources out there. Or maybe consider alumni tutors? A lot of the high performers at my school (who do science) will often go to students, not institutions etc.

Ye so, for sciences not the best person to ask, sorry. (too opinionated about tutoring lol)
I would go to student teachers because I myself find them to be better however the independent ones are usually expensive ... but thanks anyway for your input :)

HSC
We always tailor our online lessons to start with building a foundation for our students. From there we build them up with more difficult questions through too extension exercises. If you do use an online course as opposed to a tutor, make sure the course is exposing you to applying the information, not just memorizing it. This is important in HSC science subjects since they want you to be able to use and apply what you learn, not just to regurgitate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)