effect of light on phenotype of plant (1 Viewer)

~bumchum~

~shake it baybee!~
HSC
oka..guyz..i gota do this experiment and itz abt tha effect of light on the phenotype of plant...and so basicaly i put plantz in tha light...and some in tha dark...buh im not sure watz supposed 2 happen....ive done research buh all i get is all this biological BLA BLA that i dun undastand...so cud neone plz explain 2 me in simple terms watz supposed 2 happen 2 tha phenotype of tha plant in tha dark and in tha light?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Laymans Terms

- Plants need light to photosynthesise
- w/o light plants die :(

So, the plant w/o light will die, the plant with light won't. There's your difference ;)

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
hmm we didnt see the plants turn albino but maybe thats just us

malkin86

HSC
Did they turn yellowy, like grass that's been under the wheelie bin for a while?

You can call that 'non-green', or 'albino'.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
This is what we did:

Genetic Barley is an F1 hybrid that allows us to see the effects of the environment on a plant’s phenotype. Using cotton wool on two Petri dishes, germinate equal numbers of genetic barley. Place one Petri dish in sunlight and the other in the dark. When the seedlings grew, all the plants growing in the sunlight were green. The majority grown in the dark were white. The different environment (darkness) affected the normal phenotype. The majority were green as there was no sunlight for the chlorophyll to turn green.

TheKing

It would be alot easier if you could learn how to type and spell properly. This is basically gene expression, the idea is that genes expressed can be affected by the environment.

That is, as the plant is deprived of light the gene the produces chlorophyll is switched off as it is not required and there are more instances of plants with "WHITE" leaves etc...

By the way, phenotype is the physical characteristic, therefore the expressed genes. This experiment shows that phenotype is not only affected by dominance but by the environment as well.

I did this topic like last term, thats what i can remember of it. Please correct me if i'm incorrect

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Originally posted by Zarathustra
...and all of the plants will be albinos in the dark whereas those exposed to light will be albinos according to their genotype - for the same reason as neo_o said:D

n.b. This will happen before the plants die
Well, ya know the entire wilting dead look could be considered as a differing phenotype

<_<

>_>

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Albino is a different phenotype - I don't know about dead:p
exactly

basically, what acmilan1987 said. I'm assuming most people are using the barley with the known genotypes (f1 generation)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)