Eeeeeeeeeeekkkkkk!!!! (1 Viewer)

Megz

Oh...it's you!!!
Ok, I need help peoples.....I am doing a Bachelor of Arts/Diploma of Education...
I am having major difficulties trying to work out which sort of units I am meant to be doing, cos in the handbook it just says 12 of these units, 12 of those....and when I look these units up...their prerequisites are "to be enrolled in BEd(Primary) or BEd(Sec)"...and I have no idea what I am meant to be doing!!!
Does anyone have an idea, or is doing this course?
I want to focus on Mathematics (is that possible?) and/or Geography as my main area of teaching...

muli

Megz...

Don't stress too much, reading through the undergraduate handbook at first regarding your program, it does come across as a tad confusing. Buuuuuuuuuut in essence you're really just looking a little too deep into what some of the pre-reqs are.

I'm gonna list a choice of subjects you could do first year that will fill the pre-reqs for second year. You don't necessarily have to chose them, but it might point you in the right direction.

NB. If you're wanting to teach maths, you will have to enroll in MATH units, and a lot of these have pre-reqs of high marks in HSC maths, so I'm working off the assumption you got above 90 (which makes sence, seeing as you were smart enough to join up to the MQ Board ;)) But yeh, still check the pre-reqs cause i'm not sure what maths ya did.

1st Semester
EDUC105 - Education: The Psychological Context
MATH135 - Mathematics 1A
GEOS111 - Society, Space and Environments

2nd Semester
EDUC106 - Education: The Social and Historical Context
GEOS114 - Global Environment Futures (Not essential)
MATH136 - Mathematics 1B

There is also room in that first year for another non related subject each semester. (eg: i'm doing BMedia, yet I had room to chuck in a music unit for first year) So yeh, that will be a relaxed timetable for you at the moment, so if there's something else ya wanna chuck in, go for it.

Looking towards second year, you will want to enrol in the 200 level GEOS, MATH and EDUC units that will fill your pre-requisites for the TEP units.

Don't worry if it's all a little daunting now, it will start to make sence once you start. Good luck

Megz

Oh...it's you!!!
Thanks...but still more

Thanks Muli...it helped a lot....
I decided last night to settle down and actually start readin most of the undergraduate handbook (the bits that concerned me andyway) and they were a few of the units that i considered doing...and as for maths..year....didn't do too badly...did Ext 1 Maths, and got E3 for that which is a pre-req for most of the maths units...
But...how many units do I, or should I be doing per semester?
Also, does anyone have a suggestion for another unit which I could do for 1st semester if I have to do another one?
Do I have to get this all checked out with the Dean or anything? or is that all done at enrolment?

muli

Generally, they suggest 4 units per semester (12 credit points). This is so that you can evenly spread the workload over your time at uni. I don't have the handbook on me at the moment so I'm not entirely sure on the amount of credit points ya have to do / the length of the course, but I think it was something like 92 credit points over 4 years? so if you work off 24 cp a year, that pretty much works out.

Personally, I'm only taking 3 units each semester this year (18cp in total). But I'll make up for it the next 2 years when I'm doing 25cp each year.

The best way to pick another unit is to pick something you enjoy! You could very well get sick to death of learning about maths and geography, which you'll be doing a LOT of for the next few years, so stick something in there that can be your 'chill' unit. I love singing so music will be my chill unit, i'm doing the basic MUS100 this year and taking the Vocal Studies units for the next 2 years after. So if you were ever curious bout learning a language, now's the time!

On your final point, unlike school, no-one's there to hold our hand through this process. There won't be a dean sitting at the enrolement desk saying "You should do this" or "Mabye try this". If you meet the prerequisites, they'll admit you. There will be academic advisors present on the day (i think) if you want to run through your choices with them, which I plan on doing just to make sure, but all they're worried bout at enrolement is meeting pre-reqs and putting you into classes.

See ya round!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)