Edvard Munch - The Scream [help!!] (1 Viewer)

k3vivyy

HSC
i'm so stuck on this !
I'm doing Edvard Munch - The Scream for one of my related texts.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/edvard_munch_the_scream590%5B1%5D.jpg

I've managed to pick up the concept of alienation in this text
through the techniques of colour, shading etc.

but i am finding it quite hard to find out more on the concept of belonging and the techniques used.

if anybody has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated =)

k3vivyy

HSC
hey :D why didn't i think of that earlier >< hehe.. thanks alot for your help !! <3

fatduckling

HSC
This is not my work.

Edvard Munch’s painting ‘The Scream’ demonstrates how interactions with others and the world around them can cause a loss of identity and sense of belonging, this in turn produces a set of negative emotions such as isolation, fear and anxiety. Bold, dark brush strokes convey this sense of fear and allude to the sexless figures dislocation and loss of identity. Furthermore the silhouetted couple in the background walking away from the sexless figure is symbolic of the result of an individual’s negative interactions and how they can limit ones belonging to other people and society thus further alienating the persona. The confusion and depression that occurs when a sense of belonging is not achieved is further connoted by the rule of thirds, being that the persona is in the lower thirds, therefore they are disempowered because of their marginalisation. The bridge is a divisive mechanism and is symbolic of the barriers to belonging that people face.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)