editing process (1 Viewer)

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i thought i might want to inquire to you all about what sort of stage you are up to in your drafting / editing process of your works. I had met a man who has been recognised as a published poet, and provided valuable information and approaches with regards to editing poetry and producing greater impact on my works, and i also wanted to ask anyone who felt they would like to reply what editing processes you were sort of implementing in your work?

cruel intellect

HSC
hey.... i am pretty much finished editing, have recorded sounds and am just waiting another week to start recording the vocals.
basically i just get people, lots of people, to read them. I ask if they can see any spelling errors, if they dont understand anything, just stuff like that. also ive gotten a published writer friend to read them too, ive been going through them and fiddling recently, but yeah, thats what ive been doing of late. they have been pretty well edited for the past 3 weeks.
how about you?
peace...NM

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I've been subjecting all my friends to my poetry to see if they get the ideas behind them and for spelling errors. I also spend most of my free periods staring mindlessly at them to see if there are any better word choices. Thinks I'm up to 4th and 5th drafts for most of them.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
basically i'm using a sensory method of editing to my works, we are fortune enough to have a published poet as a head of drama at a school fairly close to us, and he was wonderful in explaining some of his processes, so i tend to test for feeling, and if anything isnt synchronised somewhat, it becomes edited

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Unfortunately, I don't happen to know any master poets so I've had to rely on the feedback from as many people as I can get to suffer the tortures of my poems. Problem: it's not possible to make everyone happy.

HSC
666_blessings said:
Unfortunately, I don't happen to know any master poets so I've had to rely on the feedback from as many people as I can get to suffer the tortures of my poems. Problem: it's not possible to make everyone happy.
I don't know any either. I wrote letters to lots, but none of them replied, or if they did, they replied with the equivalent of a postcard 'Goodluck in your HSC, etc etc'.

I ended up jigging school to stalk Showcase winners at their Universities.
Such is life.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
*bows* full credit to you for persistence. It might have been easier to pester uni professors seeing as how they're easier to track down and all...

HSC
Yes, but uni professors often have narrow areas of expertise.

If you get showcase students, they can help you not only with the poems and editing process but also with your journal, your assessment tasks, how to go through each assessment criteria and get the highest possible mark.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
All my assessment tasks are done, so the limited scope of their expertise wouldn't really bother me that much. Having said that, I'm quite happy to trust my tutor and my friends.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
whiterabbit said:
I don't know any either. I wrote letters to lots, but none of them replied, or if they did, they replied with the equivalent of a postcard 'Goodluck in your HSC, etc etc'.

I ended up jigging school to stalk Showcase winners at their Universities.
Such is life.
Dammit, where's my stalker?!

get_born

i'm finally finished my narrative poet.

waaahhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
really? wow, congratulations, thats crazy, is your work predominantly poetry or narrative?

get_born

black_man said:
really? wow, congratulations, thats crazy, is your work predominantly poetry or narrative?
its a narrative poem. its a crime fiction story that is linked with a series of poems, each one like a new chapter. It builds up and its got an ending you wouldnt expect.

Ive experimented heaps and played around with the styles and onventions to make a new fun and interesting way of reading poetry.

HSC
super katie said:
Your stalker will randomly appear about one week before his/her major work is due for submission begging you to read it and give feedback in the next 24 hours.

Demand a free lunch.
"Because you're worth it".

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
super katie said:
maybe they are doing such a great job that you havent noticed?

(note to self: make stalking LESS subtle)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)