ECs (1 Viewer)

omni16

HSC
Hi BOS! I'm currently taking a gap year and I've been thinking about applying for a coop scholarship at unsw. The problem is I didn't do too much in year 12 besides being in the table tennis team and a drama comp. This year I've been doing a lot of volunteering and working but I'm not active in sports and stuff because unfortunately I missed out on the registrations for soccer and just gave up. So I was wondering, what suggestions do you guys have to demonstrate leadership?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What general interests do you have?

omni16

HSC
What general interests do you have?
If you mean hobbies and shit I do in my spare time, I like playing different kinds of sports like basketball, soccer, table tennis and handball with my friends but I'm not an active member in a club :/.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
In my opinion, it isn't worth trying to force yourself to do something to get it on your resume.

If you're interested in sport, then I would recommend joining a club. Maybe you can help coach one of the younger teams?

omni16

HSC
In my opinion, it isn't worth trying to force yourself to do something to get it on your resume.

If you're interested in sport, then I would recommend joining a club. Maybe you can help coach one of the younger teams?
I defs agree. That's a good idea but I'm not sure of my chances in such a role, esp considering I haven't done something like that before. Will try tho. Thanks

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Its not too late to start coaching. If you look on websites regarding your local district for a sport (I know mine does this for my soccer district), they might have a "members wanted" or "players wanted" section.

Also, when the club has training nights, it might be worth going to the club president or even e-mailing them if they need any managers or coaches. If you find the website for the club then you can probably find someone to contact.

Most likely managers will be needed, speaking from experience. It might cost a bit to register (~$100) but if you are keen then go for it!

omni16

HSC
Hey guys, thanks for your advice. I managed to get a coaching position but for a mixed U10 team. Is that alright? I was hoping for a higher age team.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, thanks for your advice. I managed to get a coaching position but for a mixed U10 team. Is that alright? I was hoping for a higher age team.
If you're inexperienced in coaching, then I'm not too surprised.

Attend the sessions on a regular basis and if you see some things which could do with improving, then there is your opportunity to manage some projects. To get the best out of ECs, you should go out of your way to take on extra responsibility while exercising your creativity.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Good on you for getting the position!

It doesn't really matter that they are U10's

These types of positions can either be long term or short term and you'll see that its quite a great experience coaching a team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)