ECOP or ECON?!?! (1 Viewer)

morganforrest

HSC
So I'm studying Media and Comms this year and have pretty much decided when I'd ideally like to study each subject.

Semester One: MECO1003, ENGL1000, GOVT1406, ECOP1001

Semester Two: MECO1001, GOVT1105, ECOP1003 and I can't decide for my last one between ECOP1002 and ECON1002?

Anyone give me an idea of which they prefer and if I'm making any drastic mistakes in the other subjects I've chosen?

Cheers

EDITED: Thanks Triangulum

Last edited:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I don't know anything about ECOP and ECON, but you've got an error in a different part of your list: GOVT1105 (Geopolitics) doesn't run in semester 1.

KarmaKitten

HSC
To answer your question,

I'd say ecop. If you want to study economics from a more social development aspect etc rather than just pure economics

bustinjustin

HSC
Since you're already doing ECOP in semester 1, you may as well do ECOP1002 in semester 2 as well so you can go on to do senior units if you so wish. Also, there's not much point in you doing ECOP1003 since
1) You cannot substitute it for ECOP1002 if you want to do senior units
2) It's not worth wasting an a spare unit on ECOP1003. Sounds interesting on paper, but I personally dropped it because there wasn't much point in doing the unit in my degree, and there were other units that I needed to in order to keep a wider range of senior units open. Search the subject reviews thread as well for a review on ECOP1003, the subject's a little overrated.

Also, given that you're doing Arts, you're probably less mathematically/scientifically inclined. Both ECOP and ECON are obviously about economics, but their approaches are completely different. Whereas ECOP is an interdisciplinary approach to the study of economics that uses historical, political, sociological and even philosophical methods (i.e it's a social science), and considers a wide range of schools of economic thought from, ECON is primarily mathematical and scientific in its approach and focuses on orthodox, keynesian economics (though there are some economic history units). The better method of the two is hotly contested, and at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.

Since you're already doing ECOP1001, ECOP1002 is meant to build upon it and apply it practically to Australian economic policy, so you may benefit. You could study both ECON1002 and ECOP1002 I suppose, up to you.

Last edited:

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
bustinjustin said:
There's not much point in you doing ECOP1003 since you cannot substitute it for ECOP1002 if you want to do senior units
That's not entirely true. Only the Economic Policy subject requires ECOP1002. All other senior subjects will accept ECOP1003 as a prerequisite.

bustinjustin

HSC
greeninsanity said:
That's not entirely true. Only the Economic Policy subject requires ECOP1002. All other senior subjects will accept ECOP1003 as a prerequisite.
Really? I was under the impression that only International Studies students could do that, since the person asking is doing Media Comm.

To obtain a major in Political Economy, students must complete the following units of study:

(i) 2 compulsory junior units of study (12 credit points) as listed below:

* ECOP1001 Economics as a Social Science
* ECOP1002 Economy and Policy

(ii) Any 1 ECOP2000 level senior unit of study (6 credit points) selected from the electives listed in (iii) (Excluding Pre-honours units of study)

(iii) At least 5 units of study (30 credit points) of senior elective units of study selected from the following:

OR
* Any ECOS3000 level unit of study
-----

Please note: Bachelor of International Studies students may substitute the compulsory junior unit of study ECOP1002 with ECOP1003 International Economy and Finance to complete a major in Political Economy.

Please note: All units of study marked with * will NOT be offered for 2008 enrolments.

Please note: Student NOT enrolled in the Bachelor of International Studies may complete ECOP1003 as an elective unit of study (provided that in doing so the maximum of 60 junior credit point limit for the degree is not exceeded).

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
You're right about the major. I just assumed someone doing Media&Comm wouldn't be majoring in ECOP. But, according to the UOS Handbook, you can still take the senior units with ECOP1003 as a prerequisite (I did and I didn't do International Studies).

bshoc

HSC
N/A
KarmaKitten said:
To answer your question,

I'd say ecop. If you want to study economics from a more social development aspect etc rather than just pure economics
That said, economics is employable in the real world, and political economy can be read in one's private time, it does not require lectures, especially if one is an economics student to begin with.

KarmaKitten

HSC
bshoc said:
That said, economics is employable in the real world, and political economy can be read in one's private time, it does not require lectures, especially if one is an economics student to begin with.

Well thats not entirely true. Political economy can lead into economic policy or economic development policy occupations etc including a wide variety of positions at NGO's and government agencies. I have several friends who have majored in political economy and have found impressive positions.

I agree with you that political economy students will find it harder to find employment because they will compete with traditional 'pure' economics students, but if you're a brilliant student or hardworking and have taken the effort to gain work or volunteer experience, then you shouldn't have too much problem finding work.

bustinjustin

HSC
bshoc said:
Going back to the original question, yes, do both, especially in first year when you have the opportunity to, and this is what you seem to be doing, or want to anyway. Hopefully this doesn't confuse you, but simply put, you'll learn the rules, formulas and laws of so-called "pure economics" in Economics, but if you want to put it all in context of the 'real' world- context is the key difference here - then you'd be interested in doing some Political Economy.

As for employment prospects, I don't believe Political Economy doesn't hurt your employability as muchas 'bshoc' has implied here and in other threads. Yes, there is probably a range of careers generally more available to Economics graduates in the world of commerce, but this does not detract from the inherent vocational value of 'ECOP'. It really depends on individual preferences, abilities and what attributes diferent employers are looking for.

Edit: You'll probably want to check out where graduates actually end up working here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)