economy in P&H (1 Viewer)

fashi0nista

HSC
hey guys,
i need help in finding evidence for the economy (ie. trade commerce, industries, occupations) in Pompeii and Herculaneum. I know of the basics, prostitution, fishing, etc but would like more information. Using the evidence of archaelogical, written, graffiti, paintings etc
any good websites? thanks any help will be extremely appreciated!

thanks in advance!

Emily

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
fashi0nista said:
hey guys,
i need help in finding evidence for the economy (ie. trade commerce, industries, occupations) in Pompeii and Herculaneum. I know of the basics, prostitution, fishing, etc but would like more information. Using the evidence of archaelogical, written, graffiti, paintings etc
any good websites? thanks any help will be extremely appreciated!

thanks in advance!

Emily
Prostitution wasn't as big as people make it out to be. Theres paintings of the market place and in an exam you could provide the evidence of the painting and then diverge into all market place activities. In connection to that you could bring in the idea of the scales that have been found in the market place with standard Roman weights on it. Bakeries with ovens and wheat mills have been found so you could assume that bread was probably a staple in their diet which would therefore constitute a large proportion of the economy.
You could talk about the different theories that Pompeii was becoming highly business orientated by which many fronts of the houses were transformed into shops/workshops etc...

fashi0nista

HSC
ari89 said:
Prostitution wasn't as big as people make it out to be. Theres paintings of the market place and in an exam you could provide the evidence of the painting and then diverge into all market place activities. In connection to that you could bring in the idea of the scales that have been found in the market place with standard Roman weights on it. Bakeries with ovens and wheat mills have been found so you could assume that bread was probably a staple in their diet which would therefore constitute a large proportion of the economy.
You could talk about the different theories that Pompeii was becoming highly business orientated by which many fronts of the houses were transformed into shops/workshops etc...

HSC
alot of the books such as Secrets of Vesuvias ( by Cameron and Lawless ) , and Pompeii and Herculaneum ( by brennan and lazer ) have good information about the economy and industries such as metal working , wine, agriculture, textile etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)