Economics (Social Science) (1 Viewer)

Annabanana

Hey guys,

Was wondering if you can help me with a bit of a dilema...

I am seriously interested in the political economy/policits/history issues studied in this degree - however I am extremely concerned that this degree buys you a place in front of a desk, stats in hand and in a government company for the rest of your life. Is this true? This degree eliminates a large part of the just Bach Eco course - so I will not be able to find employment in places such as pricewaterhouse? (not that I want to be an accountant overly but still, I nice place to work) - as in does it remove alot of the mathematics needed for private sector employment? If it does, then I would prob not want to take the risk for myself so what similar majors other than policitcal economy and international relations could I take up if I went for straight bach eco?

Any replies appreciated:)

Anna

timmii

sporadic attendee
This is like the new "it" degree...Most of my "commercey" friends are doing it - i only know one person doing straight BEc.

It really depends what you want from your degree, many who are doing it would be doing history, political economy, govt etc in arts, so its good in that respect. It also has flexibility in that you can still do metrics, finance, economics etc within it if you were worried about "job prospects". Though if you were going to do that you may as well do the BEc - my friend is doing a year of metrics and may change degrees because the BEc better recognises the pain he's been put through. BEcSocSc is worth it if just even to escape metrics :D

Most people i know are really enjoying it, and I think it looks pretty good, although I'm happy where I am at the moment.

http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/course/FH025
Description: This is a flexible, humanities based award course. The Bachelor of Economic and Social Sciences suits students who are interested in developing a broad understanding of the social environment in which economic activity takes place, or who would like to minimise mathematical approaches.

Students complete an Award course major in Economics, Economic History or Political Economy and an Award course minor in either Government & International Relations or Industrial Relations & Human Resource Management (or vice versa).

Core Majors offered in this course:

Economic History
Economics
Government and International Relations
Industrial Relations and Human Resource Management
Political Economy

Optional Majors offered in this course:

Accounting
Business Information Systems
Commercial Law
Econometrics
Finance
Management
Management Science
Marketing

timmii

sporadic attendee
Hehe, well at the moment there's you and annabananna - in my "year" most of the website went to unsw anyway, so i wouldnt be too fussed about prospective competition emanating from this thread :D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by melbournian
Your options may be limited like many 3 year degrees are, however if you do Honours or even a Masters (or other post-grad degrees in this area) then it would greatly improve your employment prospects, in particular in the private sector. If you are worried about employment prospects in the private sector, it may be worth considering both Macroeconomics and Microeconomics in first year, which is compulsary in BEc but not BEcSoc. However, I will not be! I'd end up dropping out of uni if I had to do Macro/Micro or Quantative Methods.
It all depends on what u want from your degree. Just a note - I'd strongly recommend u doing the foundation micro and macro economics subjects, because u might find many subjects in later years assume, or even require some foundation economics. Also, if u can, always try to do an Honours degree in economics - seriously, I've been talkin to some honours students (my tutor and others) and they say u get job offers the minute u graduate. However, don't be greedy and continue to do Masters and PhD's straight after u graduate, because u'll find that u actuallywont be able to find a job as easily becasue of the 'overqualification' dilemma...unless u wanna work as an academic at a uni of course :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)