Economics, or English Extension 2? (1 Viewer)

MiseryParade

HSC
This is my last week to decide whether I want to keep economics or pick ancient/modern history. I know economics scales significantly better than either histories, but I'm considering the change seriously because I intend to drop it anyway at the end of Year 11. The reason I can't give myself the green light and drop economics is because I'm not entirely sure whether I'll drop economics. :(

My ideal subjects in Year 12 would be MX2, EX2, chemistry and physics. I know both extensions would take a lot of work, but I do enjoy maths tremendously, and I really do love English, and it's definitely my forte, which is why I want to pick up EX2 and drop economics. However, I'm not entirely sure as to what this would mean for my ATAR.

So here is my question: would economics' scaling overpower that of EX2 significantly, or would it be a little trifle manner, like the difference between physics and chemistry? I go to a top 5 school if it matters, and based on my Year 10 report, performed above average (by quite a margin) in both English and commerce (which I know isn't the same as economics). I'm confident that I'll perform well in both EX2 or economics.

Another reason to pick EX2 above economics next year is that I really do love English and will enjoy studying for it to the point where I look forward to sitting down with an essay or creative and pouring over it for hours, whereas I'd only have a lukewarm approach to economics and definitely wouldn't devote so much time to it.

I know that I should do the subject that I know I'll enjoy more, but I'm aiming for a perfect ATAR of 99.95 and really am not sure what I should do in this situation. :( Sorry that my post is so long and full of gibberish; I'm trying to finish physics homework at the same time.

To recap, if that wall of text is too annoying:

Option 1: drop economics and pick up ancient/modern --> drop it in Year 12 and pick up EX2
Option 2: keep economics and not pick up EX2 in Year 12

What would be better for my ATAR? I know this is such a trifle and quite idiotic question on so my levels, but I've been overthinking to the point where I can't think clearly anymore coherently. :l

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You like English, so you do English Extension 2.

Simple.

(note how my argument included nothing about scaling)

Coookies

HSC
Since you do 2 sciences, why not do Biology and then drop a science next year for EX2?

MiseryParade

HSC
You like English, so you do English Extension 2.

Simple.

(note how my argument included nothing about scaling)
This is what I was thinking, but I just wanted some other opinions, especially as the deadlines about changing subjects loom closer. :/ Do you know how economics/EX2 scale though? Talent 100's study guide merely said Advanced English (and higher) and economics scaled well, without further comment on how well they scaled compared to each other.

Since you do 2 sciences, why not do Biology and then drop a science next year for EX2?
Honestly, I'm looking for a bludge subject that I can rest comfortably in. If I won't continue with economics next year, then why bother putting myself in a huge pickle by staying with it, since it's quite a lot of work and simply takes more effort than history? That's my line of argument anyway; not sure how true it actually is. :/

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
This is what I was thinking, but I just wanted some other opinions, especially as the deadlines about changing subjects loom closer. :/ Do you know how economics/EX2 scale though? Talent 100's study guide merely said Advanced English (and higher) and economics scaled well, without further comment on how well they scaled compared to each other./
You shouldn't be considering scaling at all when picking subjects...?

I did Extension 2 English and I loved it. Don't deprive yourself from doing something you'll love because "oh sorry, this scales better".

Coookies

HSC
If you want a bludge do Food tech or art (if your school offers it). Thats what I did, I did food tech with the intention of dropping it but I still did really good with no study (beat lots of people) so thats how easy that was.

Or you could do business studies, thats the easy economics and if you're dropping it, then why try so hard? Year 11 doesn't count towards anything so just focus on your other subjects but still get the work done in the one you're dropping

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)