Economics Marathon 2014 anyone??? (1 Viewer)

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Explain how the Reserve Bank of Australia can influence the exchange rate. (5 marks)
The exchange rate is the mechanism by which the value of the AUD is determined, through market demand and supply forces. The RBA can influence interest rates through two mechanisms. Firstly, the RBA can buy second-hand commonwealth securities. In return, the money supply increases. As a result of a larger pool of money, the cash rate decreases. Reflecting the cash rate, commercial banks then reduce their interest rates, because they require less finance to service their own interactions between themselves and the RBA in the overnight money market. Because interest rates are lower, storing money in Australian banks becomes less profitable, resulting in diminished capital inflows and greater capital outflows, and subsequently greater supply of AUD and less demand for AUD respectively. Ultimately, both of these forces then contribute to a depreciation. The converse is also true, wherein the selling of CSGS prompts an appreciation of the AUD. The RBA can also, more directly, 'dirty the float' by buying and selling stored values of currencies. For example, the purchasing of the AUD with the USD results in greater demand for AUD and an appreciation. However, RBA operations to 'dirty the float' are rare, and are prompted in extreme economic circumstances.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Analyse the differences between a fixed exchange rate and a floated exchange rate, in terms of their impact upon an economy's external stability. 5 marks

mreditor16

HSC
Hi All,

This seems where all the eco kids are lurking. So I might as well post here :)

I just wanted to wish all of you the best of luck for tomorrow's exam :)

I've had the privilege of interacting with a lot of you whether via PM, or on this thread, or on the study guide thread, or on any other thread - and I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience :)

So, for tomorrow, I sincerely hope all of you achieve stellar results and make yourselves proud.

Best of luck guys and I look forward to the post-exam discussion.

mreditor16

avi888

HSC
Uni Grad
A bit confused on examples for product and factor market deregulation? HALP pls

mreditor16

HSC
A bit confused on examples for product and factor market deregulation? HALP pls
first of all, do you know the difference between product and factor markets?

and if so, then product market deregulation is simply deregulation conducted in the product market and similarly for factor market deregulation.

FYI these aren't official terms. or common-to-textbook terminology.....

iStudent

HSC
And I look forward to getting destroyed :)
I'm still memorising my notes :'(

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Analyse the differences between a fixed exchange rate and a floated exchange rate, in terms of their impact upon an economy's external stability. 5 marks
bump lads and ladettes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)