• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Economics by Correspondence (1 Viewer)

HSC
My school probably isn't going to run economics this year, so I was wondering how much not having a teacher would hinder me?
I would probably be able to get one period a week with the schools eco teacher, so he could probably explain the hardest aspects of the course and give me advice on essays etc.

So is it a good idea or not?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
how much time do u plan on studying for economics in any given week , keeping in ind that its a fairly tough subject even with a teacher.

hatty

Banned
may i ask why you are doing this? will it count towards ur HSC?

what i reccomend is a tutor, get him or her for about 2 hrs a week and you'll be fine.

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by Silver Persian
My school probably isn't going to run economics this year, so I was wondering how much not having a teacher would hinder me?
I would probably be able to get one period a week with the schools eco teacher, so he could probably explain the hardest aspects of the course and give me advice on essays etc.

So is it a good idea or not?
it would be pretty difficult doing it purely on your own, however, if you were able to have a period with an economics teacher each week, and you were willing to put in a lot of work, then it would not be too un-do-able

the main benefit of having a teacher is that they can explain the parts of the course that the textbooks dont do very well and also they are usually fairly good with stats and other bits of non-theory info...

if you are already a fairly good writer (in terms of essay writing) then you should be alright......

HSC
Hatty: The lines on my school aren't too great for me - I would have to choose Visual Arts, Geography or Tech. Metal if I didn't do economics, and I hate all those subjects :)

A tutor is a good idea, although I'm not sure my parents would pay for it.

Sarah: Well, I'd work on economics during the periods which I'm missing because I'm doing a correspondence course, and then, maybe 20 minutes each night study.

AGB: I was figuring I could come here and ask people to explain to me what I don't understand :)

I'm only doing year 11 this year, so if eco doesn't work out I can always kick it for the hSC

ae

HSC
it all comes to, whether you like or love the subject.

if you like it, dont do it
if you love it, do it

since without teachers, you have to be self-motivated. though you like it, it still pretty hard to just sit down and read the textbooks.
i sure enjoy more listening to my teacher than reading the textbooks.

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by Silver Persian
was figuring I could come here and ask people to explain to me what I don't understand :)

I'm only doing year 11 this year, so if eco doesn't work out I can always kick it for the hSC
haha well im sure that people here would be more than happy to help you :)

i was under the impression that you were going into year 12...its prob a good idea then if you are going into year 11 to give it a go, and if it doesnt work out then drop it :)

SMKOD

HSC
N/A
I did a corresponance course for Business Studies in 2002 and 2003. I also did eco in classroom environment.

Trust me, corespondance should only be as a last resort. It is soooo hard to get yourself motivated to work and, no matter how well you think you'll stick to a structured pattern, you will put it aside when you start getting tonnes of work in other subjects.

Mind you, its still possible to do well. I came out with an 89 in BS despite corespondance. I had a teacher at school which i also sat down with every now and then.

I dunno who you're doing your course through, but TAFE-OTEN was pretty bad. Like the info was good, but it wont prepare you. So make sure you get copies of practice papers etc. from BOS and other sources. And see if you can sit all the same assessments and tials as those in your school so that 1) you get a feel for proper assessments and 2) you get an idea of how good you are.

But definately give it a try because you're in yr 11. If you don't like it, drop it. While eco is a course which is definately suited to correspondance learning, it can be easy to fall into the trap of not monitoring world events because u aren't able to have class discussions. So make sure u read the papers/websites, go to the Leading Edge workshops (an absolute lifesaver) and buy alternative text books to use in conjunction with the materials they mail you. The Leading Edge Workbook is a really good buy and the Updated Economics books can be great for assessments.

Good luck with the course and PM me if I can give you a better insight into correspondance learning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)