• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Economics at Macquarie Uni (1 Viewer)

Yugoslavia

HSC
N/A
How difficult is the mathematics aspect in economics through the first, second and third year at mac?

xAnDi

HSC
recommended at least prerequisite level of 2unit maths, but there are subjects you can take at macq to make up for it, if your ability of maths doesn't meet the standard level

Yugoslavia

HSC
N/A
Is it compulsory to take the mathematical units for the economics major if you only have a general maths background ?

xAnDi

HSC
Nope :) But if you cant keep up with the level of maths in the course, its just highly suggested that you take up a maths unit to help you

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
To what extremes does the mathematics go to?
the difficulty of mathematics in the economics subjects depend on which subjects you choose to do in your 2nd/3rd year at Macquarie.

Don't be worried about extremes, form a study group and you'll do fine in the subject.

Yugoslavia

HSC
N/A
the difficulty of mathematics in the economics subjects depend on which subjects you choose to do in your 2nd/3rd year at Macquarie.

Don't be worried about extremes, form a study group and you'll do fine in the subject.

I was wondering on subjects such as ECON 203,ECON 204 and ECON232?

Flying

HSC
I'm in the same position. I need to choose a major for by next year and don't have a clue. I prefer commerce fields (finance and economics) rather than business fields (commercial law, HR, marketing).

I really would love to do an economics major however I barely passed general maths in year 12 and from my experience with ACST101 my ability at maths is seriously limited.

I've been told to do MATH123 or something as a people unit.

1) I know the OP has already asked but can anyone give me examples of what level of maths are involved in economics at MQ? Like actual examples.

2) Would doing MATH123 or whatever it is help someone, whose mortal enemy has been maths.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
not sure about macquarie

but the maths would get pretty intense in an economics in an economics major, I imagine calculus would be used a lot

Elwood13

HSC
ECON203 is probably the hardest econ subject of undergrad. A lot of calculus etc. If you can choose between 203 and 204, choose 204.

Just my opinion obviously.

Kingportable

HSC
The thing is i love maths and business, but i also really enjoyed English Advance we had a great teacher who chose awesome texts and i just can't kick the habit will there be much english in Eco? Also can you double major like in commerce? Is anyone taking a Japanese elective i wanna pick it up just to read more manga and watch anime directly haha.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)