Economics and commerce similarities (1 Viewer)

klaw

HSC
Hello. I have heard that at UNSW and USyd, people in their first years of economics and commerce degrees do exactly the same subjects. Can anybody confirm/deny this? If I fail to meet the cutoffs for commerce, I am planning to do economics and transfer to commerce. If I do this, will I have to do an extra year? Also, how hard is it to transfer? Thanks.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
at Usyd,
commerce --> more core subjects (11 right now)
and if you do econ, you will have to major in at least 1 of Econ or Econometrics. You can do both too.

klaw

HSC
tlodg said:
at Usyd,
commerce --> more core subjects (11 right now)
and if you do econ, you will have to major in at least 1 of Econ or Econometrics. You can do both too.
Thank you for your response but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I should have phrased the question differently sorry :(. What I meant to ask was if commerce and economics had the same first year subjects. I understand that being different degrees and all, they must be different at some point. However, a few people have informed me that the first year subjects of economics and commerce degrees at UNSW and USyd are exactly the same. I just want to find out if this is true, because if it is, it means that I don't have to spend additional time completing my commerce course even if I transfer.

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
i thinkk the diff is that economics majors dont hav to do accounting subjects.

not sure though :S

klaw

HSC
kunny funt said:
i thinkk the diff is that economics majors dont hav to do accounting subjects.

not sure though :S
Thank you for your response but again, it wasn't quite what I was looking for :(. What I want is for people to confirm/deny if the first year subjects for commerce and economics degrees are identical at UNSW and USyd, because then I will be able to find out whether I need to spend additional time completing my commerce degree if I transfer.

klaw

HSC
wikiwiki said:
yes they are. at usyd you just take accounting as an option. fucking look up the handbook next time, and prove you deserve a spot. jesus.
Thank you for your response. I have misplaced my copy of the handbook so I am unable to look it up :(. However, I do agree that Jesus is an inspirational figure and we should aim learn the ways of Jesus in order to follow his footsteps. Perhaps if I behave like Jesus enough I'd be able to prove my worthiness for a spot in studying commerce at UNSW/USyd?

Last edited:

klaw

HSC
wikiwiki said:
perhaps. the handbook is online, sunshine.

Don't be smart with me, you can't compete with my intellect.

Find the handbook online, compare the course prerequisites for economics and commerce, and plan ahead.

A) what happens if you don't get the transfer
B) make sure if you do get the transfer you can claim all your subjects.

ie what major do you intend to do in commerce? You will have just enough room for one non-accounting commerce major junior unit per semester.
Ahhh I see... the name "handbook" is very misleading! I had no idea that it was on the net :(. Perhaps they should rename it to hand-ebook to avoid confusion in the future? I am in no way attempting to compete with your intellect. After all, I am the one requesting information.

I have considered the possibility that I won't get the transfer. That is why in my initial post, I asked about the difficulty of getting a transfer. Transferring is just my backup plan. I'd prefer to get into commerce straight away but I want a backup plan just in case I don't make it.

Hmm... Is it possible to not be able to claim my subjects if they are exactly the same?? I never thought it'd be a problem if they were exactly the same subjects, I guess I'd have to find out.

I have not yet decided on what I intend to major in, but there's plenty of time :).

volition

arr.
HSC
At UNSW, Commerce and Economics degrees both have the same 6 core subjects. If you're doing it fulltime, then that means you choose 1 'exta' per semester.

1st semester:
ECON1101 - microeconomics
ECON1202 - quantitive methods A (maths for commerce people :p)
ACCT1501 - Accounting 1a
4th subject

2nd semester:
ECON1102 - Macroeconomics
ECON1203 - Quantitive Methods B
ACCT1511 - Accounting 1B
4th subject

After these 6 core subjects, everyone is free to go and pursue study in their chosen major(s).

The main difference between economics and commerce that I've noticed, is that economics people MUST choose at least one economics major to study (and they may take a commerce major as their 2nd), while commerce people are able to choose any majors they like.

As for how easy it is to transfer between economics and commerce at UNSW, I don't know. My guess is it probably wouldn't be hard.

Conspirocy

HSC
volition said:
At UNSW, Commerce and Economics degrees both have the same 6 core subjects. If you're doing it fulltime, then that means you choose 1 'exta' per semester.

1st semester:
ECON1101 - microeconomics
ECON1202 - quantitive methods A (maths for commerce people :p)
ACCT1501 - Accounting 1a
4th subject

2nd semester:
ECON1102 - Macroeconomics
ECON1203 - Quantitive Methods B
ACCT1511 - Accounting 1B
4th subject

After these 6 core subjects, everyone is free to go and pursue study in their chosen major(s).

The main difference between economics and commerce that I've noticed, is that economics people MUST choose at least one economics major to study (and they may take a commerce major as their 2nd), while commerce people are able to choose any majors they like.

As for how easy it is to transfer between economics and commerce at UNSW, I don't know. My guess is it probably wouldn't be hard.
OMG why tell him...look up the handbook...every 2 seconds on this thread...''that didnt answer my question''.

Seriously, if u didnt say anything he would have gone to usyd for sure considering how lazy he is.

Imagine this guy in a lecture... or asking questions in a tute

jpr333

HSC
Ha let me get this straight you are trying to protect unsw from people like him in a canditure of a totally different year to your own on the miniscule chance he might be in a lecture or tutorial you attend and somehow dampen your own experience at uni with his excessive questions? Laughable paranoia.

For a transfer you'd need about a credit average assuming your uai is around 90.

Conspirocy

HSC
lol yeah fair enough...but common how annoying is he acting...

lets examine
Are the subjects in com and eco the same...answer yes
Does that mean i get excemptions for them if i transfer...answer yes (but do u even need to ask that...yeah they are going to make you do all ur economics and accounting subjects again....nooooooooooooo thats two years of people who will be annoyed by him)

again thats probably my view, and not representative on any unsw people.

I could bump into him, who knows though lol

Last edited:

klaw

HSC
Thank you volition :).

Conspirocy, be afraid, be very afraid. I will come to UNSW and corrupt all the people in my cohort so they will all ask annoying questions! It is like a plague, soon, you too will be infected and become "people like me" as jpr333 puts it.

Seriously, I don't understand why you commerce people have such an attitude towards me. As I stated in a previous post, I had no idea that the handbook was available online. It is MORE work continously asking questions and checking responses than it is to simply find it in some book. I have asked very specific questions and been nothing but polite when telling people they didn't quite answer those questions. What was I supposed to do? Say thanks and move on when they haven't answered my questions?

If you do happen to bump into filth like me, I guess you should spit on me or something to show your disgust.

Much love,
Klaw

turtleface

HSC
klaw said:
Conspirocy, be afraid, be very afraid. I will come to UNSW and corrupt all the people in my cohort so they will all ask annoying questions! It is like a plague, soon, you too will be infected and become "people like me" as jpr333 puts it.

If you do happen to bump into filth like me, I guess you should spit on me or something to show your disgust.

Much love,
Klaw
lol

yeah I think all those subject choices and majors etc are super confusing, seeking clarification is probably worth the risk of being lambasted.

Conspirocy

HSC
klaw said:
Thank you volition :).

Much love,
Klaw
first of all i never said you were filth...just perhaps had the potential to be annoying. Maybe in this respect you are, and generally ur a nice person. Maybe in this respect im being a prick, and generally im a nice person too (unlikely).

dude, just saying that if you can't even research how to get into commerce on your own...you might have difficulty fitting in. Also, to some you may have been impolite
someone says : "yes they are. at usyd you just take accounting as an option"
u say: want is for people to confirm/deny if the first year subjects for commerce and economics degrees are identical

didn't u listen to what they said...sorry i think the point was made clear...unsw eco and com are the same, usyd eco doesnt have accounting as a core 1st year subject, you can take it as an option instead.

u say: "Perhaps if I behave like Jesus enough I'd be able to prove my worthiness for a spot in studying commerce at UNSW/USyd?"

okay fair enough u responded to someone swearing at u...but still i rkn u deserved it cause u can easily look this info up. also Jesus wouldnt get in, cause carpentry doesnt scale well.

u say: "I have misplaced my copy of the handbook "

now u were just lying there, u dont have a copy of the handbook...u could have asked whats a handbook and ppl would have told u, and no drama's

u say: "Perhaps they should rename it to hand-ebook to avoid confusion in the future?"

yeah the uni is going to change the name cause of u thats either stupid or arrogent...anyway they call it the online handbook at unsw ps. u could have googled handbook if u had any initiative

thats why i personally find that u were rude.

my opinion, and im sure i'll cop it from other ppl who say im being slack or something...but thats how i see it.

klaw

HSC
Conspirocy said:
first of all i never said you were filth...just perhaps had the potential to be annoying. Maybe in this respect you are, and generally ur a nice person. Maybe in this respect im being a prick, and generally im a nice person too (unlikely).

dude, just saying that if you can't even research how to get into commerce on your own...you might have difficulty fitting in. Also, to some you may have been impolite
someone says : "yes they are. at usyd you just take accounting as an option"
u say: want is for people to confirm/deny if the first year subjects for commerce and economics degrees are identical

didn't u listen to what they said...sorry i think the point was made clear...unsw eco and com are the same, usyd eco doesnt have accounting as a core 1st year subject, you can take it as an option instead.

u say: "Perhaps if I behave like Jesus enough I'd be able to prove my worthiness for a spot in studying commerce at UNSW/USyd?"

okay fair enough u responded to someone swearing at u...but still i rkn u deserved it cause u can easily look this info up. also Jesus wouldnt get in, cause carpentry doesnt scale well.

u say: "I have misplaced my copy of the handbook "

now u were just lying there, u dont have a copy of the handbook...u could have asked whats a handbook and ppl would have told u, and no drama's

u say: "Perhaps they should rename it to hand-ebook to avoid confusion in the future?"

yeah the uni is going to change the name cause of u thats either stupid or arrogent...anyway they call it the online handbook at unsw ps. u could have googled handbook if u had any initiative

thats why i personally find that u were rude.

my opinion, and im sure i'll cop it from other ppl who say im being slack or something...but thats how i see it.
I did listen to what they said. First two responses did not say anything about whether they had the same subjects or not. I had stopped asking questions after I read Wikiwwiki's response.

I'm sure Jesus would have found a way to get in, he can be very persuasive after all :).

I thought the handbook wikiwiki referred to was the UAC guide, which I did lose. And the renaming to hand-ebook thing was obviously not serious.

Last edited:

The Jerk

HSC
klaw appears smarter than most that have posted.

Conspirocy: rather than dismantling his posts to mount a pointless and long winded argument, next time look up each word in the dictionary and quote an antonym. It would be much more effective. I'm sure wowwki and blueclean will dry the sweat from your brow.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)