Economics advice for 2024ers? (1 Viewer)

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
So I have a pretty awful eco teacher. He gives us barely any work, is an ungodly teacher, and gets mad when we go ahead cause we’ve already completed everything. This year I’ll pretty much be on my own learning eco, with a few my other friends in my class acting as a study group. For some assistance, from the 2023ers (or from anyone from an earlier cohort), what advice do you have for people in my position beginning the HSC now?

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
it might be a bit silly but I would try and get through as much of the syllabus as possible during jan holidays, it definitely helped me last year. Ask lots of questions, get lots of feedback

so start early

libestraumno3

HSC
So I have a pretty awful eco teacher. He gives us barely any work, is an ungodly teacher, and gets mad when we go ahead cause we’ve already completed everything. This year I’ll pretty much be on my own learning eco, with a few my other friends in my class acting as a study group. For some assistance, from the 2023ers (or from anyone from an earlier cohort), what advice do you have for people in my position beginning the HSC now?
im in the same situation !! all the best

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
I'm not an Economics student but I do have experience with this situation in terms of Biology; my teacher doesn't teach, plain and simple.

I definitely have to back up what @mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa said in terms of getting through the syllabus as much as you can. Put in the initiative to get ahead so that you know what areas are your strengths and what areas are your weaknesses; pretty much what will need most of your time and whatnot.

Complete as many questions as you can as well, just to know that you actually know the content.

If you can't depend on your teacher in terms of getting feedback, you and your study group could help each other out and give each other feedback, help each other improve; unless it's a gatekeeping situation lol.

You get always ask questions here on BoS and I'm pretty sure there will always be people to help you out :D

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
In terms of your teacher getting mad when you guys have completed everything, I think that's kind of... stupid. Rather than getting mad, shouldn't he at least give you guys extension work? That's literally beyond me-

I guess you have teachers that get annoyed when you're ahead because it shows them you don't need them lol, but some teachers appreciate students putting in the effort to do well and stay ahead.

Teachers can definitely influence people's opinion on a subject so just make sure not to let your teacher's dead attitude ruin the subject for you.

Overall, I reckon you and your group will be just fine, you'll do great!

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
In terms of your teacher getting mad when you guys have completed everything, I think that's kind of... stupid. Rather than getting mad, shouldn't he at least give you guys extension work? That's literally beyond me-

I guess you have teachers that get annoyed when you're ahead because it shows them you don't need them lol, but some teachers appreciate students putting in the effort to do well and stay ahead.

Teachers can definitely influence people's opinion on a subject so just make sure not to let your teacher's dead attitude ruin the subject for you.

Overall, I reckon you and your group will be just fine, you'll do great!
I swear my teacher got his degree when the pass rate was 50% for a true or false test. He dumbs the work down so much until we’re sitting there in agony but is disappointed when he notices “half the class isn’t paying attention”. Just today we spent 10 mins going over an example for the multiplier effect for absolutely no one. The question was something like after $50 mil of government spending AD increases by $200 mil: what is MPC? Everyone got the concept by the 2 min mark but he still felt the need to slowly go over EVERY SINGLE step of the process. We almost get no time at the end of the lesson to just do work cause he spends all lesson talking.

Anyway, so I’ve got a bad teacher. Just needed to complain.

No surprises

HSC
I shouldn't say this but speaking from my expereince(exactly same situation except we had a teacher change in yr12 so things got better)
MY SUGGESTION WOULD BE FIND A TUTOR

No surprises

HSC
I shouldn't say this but speaking from my expereince(exactly same situation except we had a teacher change in yr12 so things got better)
MY SUGGESTION WOULD BE FIND A TUTOR
U don't need to tutoring for that often, just go through contents yourself, but I would say 3 weeks(so 3 times) before each assessment would be sufficient

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
I'm not an Economics student but I do have experience with this situation in terms of Biology; my teacher doesn't teach, plain and simple.

I definitely have to back up what @mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa said in terms of getting through the syllabus as much as you can. Put in the initiative to get ahead so that you know what areas are your strengths and what areas are your weaknesses; pretty much what will need most of your time and whatnot.

Complete as many questions as you can as well, just to know that you actually know the content.

If you can't depend on your teacher in terms of getting feedback, you and your study group could help each other out and give each other feedback, help each other improve; unless it's a gatekeeping situation lol.

You get always ask questions here on BoS and I'm pretty sure there will always be people to help you out :D
yeah I mean doing what I did and going through the whole syllabus might’ve been a bit overkill but oh well

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
yeah I mean doing what I did and going through the whole syllabus might’ve been a bit overkill but oh well
Sry for asking another question but what did you do regarding contemporary examples. This is mainly for essay writing when you need a new piece of evidence to back up your theory. How did you keep track of them and how many did you remember?

Last edited:

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
Sry for asking another question but what did you do regarding contemporary examples. This is mainly for essay writing when you new a new piece of evidence to back up your theory. How did you keep track of them and how many did you remember?
contextualise them, I think it’s much easier to remember something when it’s in a ‘paragraph’ as opposed to it alone.Also try and make them overlap as much as possible. Things like the textbook help, looking at notes online, essays online, or just subscribing to news websites.

Jane Mao

HSC
Sry for asking another question but what did you do regarding contemporary examples. This is mainly for essay writing when you need a new piece of evidence to back up your theory. How did you keep track of them and how many did you remember?
Write real world examples in your notes and when practising questions - even if it's textbook review questions - endeavour to incorporate them into your answer as often as possible. When you do it enough tines things just gets stored in your long term memory and it's easy to recall. Most of these examples wouldn't change over the course of a year so start now you'd be safe.

Also for these out of syllabus research try and do it in an area you're interested in? Or link them with things you have learnt from other subjects. Like I'm bilingual so I have a lot of examples on my home country and Australia's political and economic relations.

Jane Mao

HSC
Also ik it's always good to get a tutor but I know at least three people who have band 6 in eco and never tutored. Honestly the textbooks are really well written and you can completely self learn with them and some additional research.

P.S with the way u were calming everyone down b4 the hsc I did not imagine you're in year 11 :D (wait I thought u dropped eco from the plain economics paper post?)

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Also ik it's always good to get a tutor but I know at least three people who have band 6 in eco and never tutored. Honestly the textbooks are really well written and you can completely self learn with them and some additional research.

P.S with the way u were calming everyone down b4 the hsc I did not imagine you're in year 11 :D (wait I thought u dropped eco from the plain economics paper post?)
I got my prelim eco mark and found out I did a lot better than expected, so now I'm dropping chem. Tysm for the advice though. As of this term, I've started listening to the Chanticleer podcast (from the Australian Financial Review) for my real world example research, and it has helped so much. I'll make sure to add them to my notes too.

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
New question:
I've been told that you need to have an essay worth of information memorised for each heading/sub-heading in the syllabus. But looking through the syllabus there's like 16 headings - a shit load of essays to remember. So is that how you guys memorised for eco? Or are there better ways of doing it?

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
New question:
I've been told that you need to have an essay worth of information memorised for each heading/sub-heading in the syllabus. But looking through the syllabus there's like 16 headings - a shit load of essays to remember. So is that how you guys memorised for eco? Or are there better ways of doing it?
it's better to just know your stuff

but that's kind of in the right direction.

you could write general essay plans for each concept (ie. 'Analyse the effects of globalisation on the Aus economy') and that could be how you memorise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)