Econ201 2007 (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey,

I am planning to do ECON201 as a summer course program and I was wondering if anyone who did the unit and wouldn't mind giving me some advise on the unit?

Also I am hoping to buy the econ201 book before the course starts, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me what set textbook is for econ201? And if anyone who did ECON201 this year(2007) is selling their textbooks and lecture notes etc?

Thankz!

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Right now I am studying for the final exam in this unit.

It's a good unit; very interesting. My advice is just to study the goods and financial markets that you learned about in ECON110. Understand the algebra, graphs and concepts associated with both, and you'll be well equipped to take on the first section of ECON201 where you'll learn about extended forms of those markets;— the IS-LM model and the AS-AD model.

You'll also learn more about the labour market and how it relates to the other markets, and you'll learn to evaluate monetary and fiscal policy implemented by the central bank and the government.

The textbook is called 'Macroeconomics' (Second Edition) by Olivier Blanchard & Jeffrey Sheen.

If you liked ECON110, then I think you'll really enjoy ECON201.

Luke.

HSC
As Luke^ said, a lot of the work extends from the u learnt in econ 110. So it wont hurt to do a little reading before hand.

What I remember from econ 201 was that there was quite a bit of reading and the tutorial questions were long. However with the finals, it was possible to pass with just studying 6 weeks worth of work? You dont have to focus on everything and there will be greater emphasis on some weeks.

My friend did summer course for the subject and she said they went easier on them.

and thats my fractured knowledge of the subject : 3
Do have fun.

dracover

HSC
well its much harder then 200 if u can i'd suggest 200 ova 201.

201 is further macroeconomic stuff so like others have said its extention from 110 but u learn new models i fink from memory some IS-LM model and stuff like that so its extention but also a new set of things u cant rely on old knowledge and develope on that unlike in say 200. gl either way and wen i did it the textbook wasnt that useful the notes were extensive and plenty.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Macroeconomics is more interesting... and I wouldn't necessarily say it's harder.

I haven't done anything all semester. I'm studying for the exam by revising the textbook and nothing has been too difficult thus far. It just requires a bit of thorough reading.

I've been told the summer course is even easier. Like I said, if you did well in ECON110 and enjoyed it, do ECON201.

I didn't even do any good in ECON110, I got 52. I failed the first two midsemester exams, but I blitzed the final exam, and I enjoyed learning the concepts, so I chose ECON201 over ECON200, and I don't regret it. And get this— I got a distinction for ECON111.

I'm thinking I'll probably get a credit, maybe even pull off a distinction if I kill the final exam.

Tabris

HSC
I got a D for 110 and HD for 201, now in 311, i am sitting on a D for ECON311 before a killer hard final.
I got a D for 111, and D for 200, i stuffed uo badly in ECON309 and got a pass 52 (my only "pass" unit)

It aint "Real" economics until third year...i got a feeling they dumbed down 1st and 2nd for the foreign students...

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
Tabris said:
I got a D for 110 and HD for 201, now in 311, i am sitting on a D for ECON311 before a killer hard final.
I got a D for 111, and D for 200, i stuffed uo badly in ECON309 and got a pass 52 (my only "pass" unit)

It aint "Real" economics until third year...i got a feeling they dumbed down 1st and 2nd for the foreign students...
Wow your cocky. So what the "foreign" students don't do 300lvl units???

And to the OP this years ECON201 has been all over the place the lecturer in charge doesn't seem too interested in the unit (just gotta see the messages on WebCT lol) but luckily Alex Blair took over half way through and he's pretty good. So if you have Alex in summer school it'll be quite enjoyable :)

The unit it self is pretty interesting, make syou think about the policies being presented in the election campaign and what their effects will be on the economy and how sometimes the candidates seem to contradict themselves (like saying the'll keep interest rates low while at the same time giving out tax cuts).

HSC
jake2.0 said:

And to the OP this years ECON201 has been all over the place the lecturer in charge doesn't seem too interested in the unit (just gotta see the messages on WebCT lol) but luckily Alex Blair took over half way through and he's pretty good. So if you have Alex in summer school it'll be quite enjoyable :)

The unit it self is pretty interesting, make syou think about the policies being presented in the election campaign and what their effects will be on the economy and how sometimes the candidates seem to contradict themselves (like saying the'll keep interest rates low while at the same time giving out tax cuts).
ooo!!! alex blaire eh! i had him for econ110. yeh hes good!!

btw thanks for all the advise!!

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
This unit was one of my favourites. We had a different lecturer though. For the exam, use the i-lecture if you can. You can do it all in a few days

Tabris

HSC
jake2.0 said:

Alot of the foreign students failed 309..... rumors of 50%+ fail rate was circling about.

Your still reading from a textbook???

I have read that Blanchard and Sheen book, its nothing compared to the 2-3 journal articles thats demanded of us every fortnight.

What you learn in 311 and 309 basically throws out the theoretical stuff....you learn how the ISLM doesnt work.

You learn that all the theoretical benefits of flexible exchange rate does not work in reality and sometimes a fixed exchange rate is better off.

You examine how crowding out is just pure theory and that in reality your curves dont shift back.

You will see how MP isnt just about setting interest, taylor rule, constrained discretion v Rules, Blinder's taxonomy.

I have seen foreign students answer questions from the lecturer in charge of the tutorials and non-of them has any idea on what the answer is, go off track into something irrelevant...

Foreign students usually fare poorly, the language barrier is pretty much still there.

Apart from them, there is lots of competition, the only people doing 300 level Macro and Industry are the people graduating in economics.

Ask anyone who has done a third year eco students what they think of money& finance(ECON360?) compared to ECON309 and 311, and they will tell you how different the level of difficulty it is.

[/rant]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)