ECON111 - Last minute help (1 Viewer)

toknblackguy

HSC
hi guys
well i am of course under-prepared for the econ test
circular 5...can ppl give some breif answers to the 4 questions?
the first one i got nfi

the second one, i got nfi

but the third one i can make a start...mainly by talking about the barriers of entry in monopoly situation, ad now because of this monpolies continue to make super normal profit, whereas this profit is eroded by entry and expansion of firms. and i reckon i could squeeze out some other crap if i re-read the txtbook

fourth one... please help

good luck to all

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
i've done the 4 answers sto circ. 5 , plus the 5,6,7 from flying's post in the other "micro thread"

<==== MSN me
or i can just tell u q4 here.

toknblackguy

HSC
well can anyone give me some general info about em?
i d'ont know if i'm even going to have time to prepare any answers for em

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Good luck you ECON111's ...show 'em markers wot BOS'ers are made of ! ;) :p

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Good luck to y'all ECON111ers tomorrow!!! (Also don't write intros/concls, just answer the parts of the questions... cos intros/concls take time away from actually answering the question)

Last edited:

ReaveR

HSC
I think I'm a bit fuxed too =(
I know everything, just don't think I can write three pages lol
Extra large writing here I come lalalala

As for compulsory questions, I'm fuxed for 1 and 4...
What the hell is an isocost curve, I have something in my head that its similar to consumer's budget constraint...

Mini

relax
HSC
ReaveR said:
What the hell is an isocost curve, I have something in my head that its similar to consumer's budget constraint...

its the same exact thing, except with regard to firms, not consumers - a negatively sloped straight line.

good luck all!

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
flyin' said:
Good luck to y'all ECON111ers tomorrow!!! (Also don't write intros/concls, just answer the parts of the questions... cos intros/concls take time away from actually answering the question)
Yup, i would advise that too...xcept, i brief introduction to the answer ..e.g

Q1.

intro here - a few sentences.

(i) answer
(ii) answer

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Mini said:
its the same exact thing, except with regard to firms, not consumers - a negatively sloped straight line.

good luck all!
Which all 'em must be parallel unless of a input price change for the firm.

Do you think we need to say way the positively sloped ISOQUANT is tech. ineffecient for our long responses? ..i.,e using the TP, MP, and AP curves ?

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
can we use abbreviations in the exam? like pi for profit.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
I wouldn't, unless i was short for time.
But u can if ur labeling a diagram i guess.
e.g
MC, AR, MR etc.

ReaveR

HSC
Where might I be able to find information regarding question 4 in the textbook?
Or if someone would kindly save my ass and post brief answer to it?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
4.A you should be able to do.
Prices act as rationalising and ditribution device, they are sources of income, cost. They are the language of markets, to transmit information b.w buer and seller. Allocate resources, and act as penalities or incentives.

B.
Asymmetric information. Buyer can't match the price difference of one particular good (e.g used car) with it's quailty (car accidents/new parts,replacements) because seller is witholding that information. Therefore, price is inaccurate from the buyer's perspec.
(i)
Research and development.

[In production]

Intially,
P.M.C > S.M.C
and PMB = SMC = SMC
The firm is blinded with the technological spillovers it places on society.
The social costs involved with R&D are very little, while the firm bears the development costs. that is, S.M.C < S.M.B. While P.M.B = P.M.C = SMC
The firm has thus neglected to observe the "price information" or the costs to society, because it only looks at itself.
Thus, a D.W.S.L exists coz society is not at their max. potential of benefits.
Gov. recognises this, subsidies the firm, making their costs of RD fall, enabling them to expland their development projecst.
Increasing RD increases benefits to society, and to the level that SMB = SMC.

[in consumption]

SMB > PMB. i.e SMB > SMC since PMB = PMC initially.
Underactivtity of RD is taking place. Gov. subsidies, firm expands RD operations, until SMB = SMC

(ii)

Traffic Congestion

[In production]
as above, xcept road authority's will TAX those who over use/produce the roads. i.e, commuters, who slow down delievery/courier personel who here are "society". i.e, SMC > SMB, where PMB = SMC.

[in consumption]
Neighbours of the road are suffering higher amounts of noise and pollution, that driving on the congested road. Hence, their SMB is low.
Road authority's should introduce a toll/tax/penalty so that the PMB falls, so that commuters decide its too costly to use the roads, (i.e their Costs+) so that its equal to the society's marginal benefits.

Hope it helps. :)

edit:
to sum up,
firm's and individuals do not equate their personal benefits and costs that spillover to the 3rd parties (externalities)

(a) positive externailites = in production, costs to society are lower than those who produce. Hence, more should be produced through government help (subsidty)
(b) negative externatilies = in production, costs to society are greater than the firm's, (e.g destroying environment is social responsibility, not a firm's). Hence, gv. should tax them in doing so, or assigned them property rights (Ronal Coasse theory).

Last edited:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
AcStyle* said:
hey do we need to bring a calculator?
Most likely for the calculation of elasticity, and those "marginal...." type questions.

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
haha it ended up being no calculators which was surprising

and the cheek of them, to use Q2 as the compulsory question for the third year in a row!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I wonder if it'll be the same next year... hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)