ECON1001 Problems (1 Viewer)

yvonne_710

Don't Lie
HSC
hey~everyone, i got some economics problems here... in the attachment is about our exam 2 questions from stream 4, eps short answers! our lecturer didnt give us the full details, can someone explain? thanks...

kow_dude

HSC
I cant work out the answers for the short answer questions as well. It seems so damn easy!

Rorix

HSC
a) marginal cost pricing
b) to maximise revenue, the firm should produce where P=MC on the upward slope of the MC curve (obviously), however, at this point P<AVC so the firm produces nothing to minimise loss
c) Firms minimise cost i.e. produce as close to minimum ATC as possible, therefore q=5, P=7 as ATC = 7
d) not sure

yvonne_710

Don't Lie
HSC
kow_dude said:
I cant work out the answers for the short answer questions as well. It seems so damn easy!
it is not that easy, at least our av for this part was 2.8 out of 10, i think,so low

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
monopolies are a source of inefficiency :p

they can eliminate it by price discrimination though

otherwise, they produce for profit maximisation i.e MR = MC

yvonne_710

Don't Lie
HSC
Sarah168 said:
monopolies are a source of inefficiency :p

they can eliminate it by price discrimination though

otherwise, they produce for profit maximisation i.e MR = MC
Sarah, it seems that u r really good at ECON1001...

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
the question is so ambiguous...

a) is 7 cuz at p = 20, the firm is willin to produce up to 7 units (mc of 13 contrasting to 8th, which has mc of 21) and the firm can recoup it's variable cost (avc = 15.8<20)

b) is 0 as it firm will be willing to produce to 6th unit, provided that they recoup their variable cost (avc = 18 >10), they can't, so wise thing is not to produce...

c) well xiaoie didn't read the q properly, so i thought twas a monopolistic competition... but then again, it's perfect competition... the eqlbm q is at when LRATC = minimum... which is at q = 5... and for perfect competition, there are no super normal profit... so TC = TR... and TC = ATC x Q = 35... and TR = Q x P
so P = 7

d) is the ambiguous part... u don't really know if it is an increasing /decreasing /constant cost industry... in exam, i would have put all three scenarios down...

in this case, it is a constant cost industry, having long term supply curve of the industry as a horizontal line...

@ sarah: or the govtmt can put a price ceiling ^^

yvonne_710

Don't Lie
HSC
xiao1985 said:
the question is so ambiguous...

a) is 7 cuz at p = 20, the firm is willin to produce up to 7 units (mc of 13 contrasting to 8th, which has mc of 21) and the firm can recoup it's variable cost (avc = 15.8<20)

b) is 0 as it firm will be willing to produce to 6th unit, provided that they recoup their variable cost (avc = 18 >10), they can't, so wise thing is not to produce...

c) well xiaoie didn't read the q properly, so i thought twas a monopolistic competition... but then again, it's perfect competition... the eqlbm q is at when LRATC = minimum... which is at q = 5... and for perfect competition, there are no super normal profit... so TC = TR... and TC = ATC x Q = 35... and TR = Q x P
so P = 7

d) is the ambiguous part... u don't really know if it is an increasing /decreasing /constant cost industry... in exam, i would have put all three scenarios down...

in this case, it is a constant cost industry, having long term supply curve of the industry as a horizontal line...

@ sarah: or the govtmt can put a price ceiling ^^
the short answer part is tricky i think, oh well...it is indicated on our part2 average...in our stream, lots of ppl did wrong for d)...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)