Eco vs Comm (1 Viewer)

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
OK, awesome. Thanks for the quick response, considering the dead-ness of this forum.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
bringbackshred said:
OK, so I'm doing my HSC this year and I dearly want to study economics at ANU.

I have 3 questions:

1. I'm doing General Maths. I will more than likely get a very high Band 6 in the subject (i.e. over 95) and I am more than capable of doing 2 unit maths, i just don't want to. Would I need a bridging course or anything of the like to get acceptance to Eco at ANU?

2. My school didn't offer Economics for the HSC. How much would this affect me in terms of Uni study if I did get accepted?

3. At Newcastle Uni, they offer politics electives with Economics. Does the same apply to ANU?

Cheers guys. Keep it real.

I was in the same boat as you, (i do economics at anu and general math in school and i wish that someone told me something, so here it is:

1. I got 95 in general maths too, you'll be ok when you do stats1008, but when you do EMET1001 you'll be F*cked as its all calculus and some algebra concepts you never touch in general like factorisation. You will need the math bridging course for both algebra and calculus module one and two, you can do thin at anu college, it works. (do this first semester, but you may only want to do 3 uni subjects, you wont have a life, you wont go out much, well never, but it pays off.

2. I did economics at high school, it makes no difference, the economics at uni is totally different.

3. yes they offer politics electives both economics politics and from the arts faculty.

Hope this helps, having someone that actually knows something answering your question, your a lucky man.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Ralph said:
I was in the same boat as you, (i do economics at anu and general math in school and i wish that someone told me something, so here it is:

1. I got 95 in general maths too, you'll be ok when you do stats1008, but when you do EMET1001 you'll be F*cked as its all calculus and some algebra concepts you never touch in general like factorisation. You will need the math bridging course for both algebra and calculus module one and two, you can do thin at anu college, it works. (do this first semester, but you may only want to do 3 uni subjects, you wont have a life, you wont go out much, well never, but it pays off.

2. I did economics at high school, it makes no difference, the economics at uni is totally different.

3. yes they offer politics electives both economics politics and from the arts faculty.

Hope this helps, having someone that actually knows something answering your question, your a lucky man.
I love you.

OK, so let me get this straight - I'd ahve to take maths courses as subjects in the first semester?

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
bringbackshred said:
I love you.

OK, so let me get this straight - I'd ahve to take maths courses as subjects in the first semester?
You don't have to, it may be a bit much in your first semester (overwhelming as change of scene, distractions as not a good time manager yet), but thats when i would do it, as the subjects just keep getting harder, so you should do it when you have the easier subjects, which is in your first semester.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
OK, I think I can handle that - i'll probably have to not do some politics subjects or something, but meh.

Venusian

HSC
Take it from someone doing econ and has failed EMET1001 - you really need to be on top of the math skills and you need more than general math. I did the required equivalent math in qld, worked for 2 years (having nothing to do with math) and then had emet in semester one, i was fucked and really should have dropped it but i thought i could get thru it....it didnt turn out that way - i then took the algebra/intergration part of the math bridging course (which by the way is one night a week for a term, and goes back to basics, and aint too hard with a full course load), i took it second semster last year and got a decent credit.....so yeah hot tip - do take that bridging course (you can even do it in the few weeks before o-week if you wanna get it out of the way) and im not even sure you'll get in(i really dont know if uac check if youve got your prerequisits or its just a reccomendation)

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
I'm quite sure it is Assumed Knowledge.

EDIT: I'm right. I don't think the bridging will be any worries for me at all. i should be doing 3U or $u amths anyway.

Thanks fora ll of the help though guys - you're all great.

*emi*

HSC
hm been a long time since anyone has posted anything on this thread but i was thinking about doing eco/arts because i much prefer eco to com (i don't like all the business-y stuff and marketing etc.) and i love maths so will i be able to pull in politics and history and philosophy and stuff like that to make eco more interesting if i do combined with arts?

And also - i know the UAI doesn't reflect the difficult of the course, but i want a course that is challenging and i was just wondering what the average uai would be for eco/arts at anu because cut off is 75 and i'm expecting something over 95 so yeah just wanted to make sure that they won't be teaching at a lower difficulty because there will be people there with lower uais...

thanks heaps =]

Evilo

HSC
*emi* said:
........just wanted to make sure that they won't be teaching at a lower difficulty because there will be people there with lower uais...

thanks heaps =]
no chance - don't worry :)

Piyom

HSC
paper cup said:
If anyone has any information about these degrees, please post.

----

Overall, the Bachelor of Commerce is more flexible than the Bachelor of
Economics.?As part of the Commerce degree students must select a core/major
area of study, and they choose from majors in:?Accounting, Business Information
Systems, Finance, International Business, Management, and Marketing. The
Commerce degree is designed specifically for students who wish to become
professional accountants and more generally for those students seeking a career
in business.

Students enrolled in the Economics degree do not get to choose a major area of
study and it has a much narrower scope.?It is designed to provide students with
an appreciation of various economic issues such as unemployment, resource
allocation, economic growth, income distribution and foreign trade. ANU抯
Bachelor of Economics is widely regarded as one of the very best in Australia.

Both the Economics and Commerce degrees equip students with skills that are
highly desirable to employers.?I would encourage your student to consider a
double degree in economics and commerce, as it broadens the career opportunities
and is only 4 years of full time study.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind regards

Jane McKinnon

Marketing Co-ordinator

Faculty of Economics and Commerce

The Australian National University

T: + 61 2 6125 3893

F: + 61 2 6125 0744

E:?jane.mckinnon@anu.edu.au

I would like to know more information for B Economics/B Commerce at ANU but
I might need to do a bridging course for maths.

mupy

HSC
ok so my friend is trying to convince me to stay in sydney to do comm/law there..
she says if i don't get into unsw/usyd i should apply for uts.
she presented me with the question: if an employer had two applicants, one that graduated from anu, one from uts, who would they choose??
does anyone have an honest/non-bias response to this very subjective question :) jst out of curiosity!

emphasis

HSC
I am going to ANU next year to do combined law. I am tossing up whether to do Commerce (major in Finance), Finance, or Economics with my law degree. Am I right to assume that Economics would be a more difficult course than Finance or Commerce? Also, which option would give me the better job prospects after I graduate?

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
I am going to ANU next year to do combined law. I am tossing up whether to do Commerce (major in Finance), Finance, or Economics with my law degree. Am I right to assume that Economics would be a more difficult course than Finance or Commerce? Also, which option would give me the better job prospects after I graduate?
Finance if you want to move into the private sector
Economics if you want to move into the public sector

Obviously you can get into the private sector with economics (and vice versa) but it has less opportunities.

Econ is harder than finance, though much of the hard courses are in the form of non-compulsary electives (maybe with the exception with macro 3, but worry about that when you're in your 3rd year)

emphasis

HSC
Finance if you want to move into the private sector
Economics if you want to move into the public sector

Obviously you can get into the private sector with economics (and vice versa) but it has less opportunities.

Econ is harder than finance, though much of the hard courses are in the form of non-compulsary electives (maybe with the exception with macro 3, but worry about that when you're in your 3rd year)

Thanks for replying. I just have a further question on whether it would be harder to get a job with the economics degree as i presume there would not be as many jobs available in that area? This is comparing it to comm/finance graduates who would probably have broader job opportunities.

Also would you happen to know the proportion of graduates with eco or comm that enter the private sector (in particular the banking industry)?

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
I've got a friend graduating last year who landed a job with KPMG's Econtech department. She is doing Arts/Econ (without honours).

Here are some employers you can work for as an economist:

- All big 4 banks
- All big 4 professional services firms
- Investment banks
- Private economics consulting firms (e.g. Access Economics)

And a whole heap of government departments:

- RBA (monetary economics)
- Treasury (economic policies/econometrics/public policy)
- Department of Finance/Deregulation (public policy/tax economics)
- ABS (econometrics)
- ATO (public policy/tax economics)
- DEEWR (public policy/labour economics)
- DFAT (macroeconomics ?)
- ACCC (Anti-trust economics/competition)
- Department of Health and Aging (health economics)

If you do Law / Eco and do well I think gov departments would be very interested in you.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Thanks for replying. I just have a further question on whether it would be harder to get a job with the economics degree as i presume there would not be as many jobs available in that area? This is comparing it to comm/finance graduates who would probably have broader job opportunities.

Also would you happen to know the proportion of graduates with eco or comm that enter the private sector (in particular the banking industry)?
What jas0nt said.
Also, pretty much any firm with large enough economies of scale and a reliance upon the market will have their own economics department or at least one forecaster and advisor. Alternatively, they will outsource this department to one of the dedicated economic forecasting firms which will have to keep up with this demand for their employees.
There are also a whole range of careers available with an Economics degree not directly in the economic-advise industry. For example, economic journalism is always an option, as well as being an economics professor and/or researcher and working on new economic theories, and it is always handy to have a knowledge of economics behind you if you were to enter politics at any stage in life.

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
I've got a friend graduating last year who landed a job with KPMG's Econtech department. She is doing Arts/Econ (without honours).

Here are some employers you can work for as an economist:

- All big 4 banks
- All big 4 professional services firms
- Investment banks
- Private economics consulting firms (e.g. Access Economics)

And a whole heap of government departments:

- RBA (monetary economics)
- Treasury (economic policies/econometrics/public policy)
- Department of Finance/Deregulation (public policy/tax economics)
- ABS (econometrics)
- ATO (public policy/tax economics)
- DEEWR (public policy/labour economics)
- DFAT (macroeconomics ?)
- ACCC (Anti-trust economics/competition)
- Department of Health and Aging (health economics)

If you do Law / Eco and do well I think gov departments would be very interested in you.
for pretty much all the government departments you need either honours/masters or a credit average +

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)