Eco help plz!! D= (TAX) (1 Viewer)

Satiric

HSC
hello.

I have this eco essay due in 2 weeks about the australian tax reform. I completed most of the assessment. I just need some info on the nature of taxation reform in Australia. Our teacher said we need to include something on the three criteria of equity, simplicity and efficiency.
Any ideas on wat i can write about?
Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx a lot in advance. =DD

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
For equity u can write about our "Progressive Taxation System" where you pay more tax as your income rises - ie the progressive tax brackets which you can get from the ato website.

for simplicity use this example: back in the days before GST, all goods were taxed and what's worse is that the tax rates were different across most products. E.g. normal milk = no tax. flavoured milk = __% tax. but if you bought milkshakes that would have a different percentage of tax. get the point? how complex is that? and the stupid thing is that conusmers didn't know how much percentage tax they were paying on each product.

but in 2001 the GST was introduced. Even though this is a Regressive Tax System, it introduced simplicity in the tax system --> you pay a flat rate of 10% tax on each product except simple household necessities like plain milk and bread. this way, everyone pays tax, the tax rate is equal on every product (even though its not equal when you consider people's incomes; also some products like alcohol and tobacco are taxed heavily for obvious reasons).

I don't know about efficiency but the GST could also be an example of efficiency because some people falsify their incomes to the ATO and therefore pay less tax (under the counter sales, family businesses etc). People still do that but this is counteracted by every single person paying GST. This created efficiency in a sense that everyone pays tax.

woah there's a some light reading for you lol....

but i suggest you further go ahead and do your research - im sure the textbook prolly talks about gst and progressive tax system. also check out www.mrwood.com . also check out www.ato.gov.au for difference btwn tax rates in 2006/07, 2007/08 and 2008/09.

ohhh since the assessment is about tax reform, you may also talk abou the recent tax cuts passed down in teh last 3 federal budgets to both high (under Howard) and low (under Rudd) income earners. In a sense the tax cuts to high income earners have created inequity, and tax cuts to low income earners have created equity to a certain extent.

best of luck!

Last edited:

Satiric

HSC
wow man.
thanks a lot.
ur a legend :D
hmm..i sorta get what u mean.
thanks for getting me started.
btw wats the mrwood site bout?
i dun get it :S
lol

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
no worriez man! eco is my passion lol *rolls eyes*

my bad,,,, its www.mrwood.com.au i think i didnt write the .au before.... mrwood is awesome man! our teacher always prints off notes from there. its mainly year 12, but then again, tax reform is a major study in yr 12 not yr 11.

gl... n keep posting (or pm me)if u need further help!

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Satiric said:
hello.

I have this eco essay due in 2 weeks about the australian tax reform. I completed most of the assessment. I just need some info on the nature of taxation reform in Australia. Our teacher said we need to include something on the three criteria of equity, simplicity and efficiency.
Any ideas on wat i can write about?
Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx a lot in advance. =DD
Mr G. has read about this site.

you have been warned.

Satiric

HSC
haiderr said:
no worriez man! eco is my passion lol *rolls eyes*

my bad,,,, its www.mrwood.com.au i think i didnt write the .au before.... mrwood is awesome man! our teacher always prints off notes from there. its mainly year 12, but then again, tax reform is a major study in yr 12 not yr 11.

gl... n keep posting (or pm me)if u need further help!
LOL
that site is pretty good.
thanks again man.
u can be my eco mentor. :D
lol

Satiric

HSC
theism said:
Mr G. has read about this site.

you have been warned.
most teachers have.
as long as you don't plagiarise it should be fine.
Just use it for extra help and notes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)