• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

EAS not enough compensation (1 Viewer)

rantman

HSC
N/A
I live in the 'Greater Western Sydney' area and go to a pretty dodgy school... get y allowance and live in a low socio-economic area (near Ashcrroft & Cabra area). I find that max 5% of places reserved for disadvantage people who score within 5 marks of the UAI cutoff is not sufficient. Some people out here have major problems, including financial hardship, family problems, adverse social environment, dodgy schools as I have already metioned, high unemployment, high crime, etc. I think the amount of places reserved should be increased, so too the UAI cutoff range of 5%UAI. Anyone been through similar circumstances agree?
People should also be judged on how disadvantaged they are because some people get onto the EAS who only meet 1 or 2 of the criteria and some people have like 3,4,5+ and end up with the same treatment.

LazyBoy

HSC
what about those who have to work to live and tehrefore could not get a chance to study? what about those who couldnt afford to get to a decent library. Information is not cheap, it might be for the end user in the library but maybe the council where they live cannot provide adequate facilities.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
To be honest, I cannot see how someone's performance in an exam can be predicted because you simply do not know how someone would do in an exam if they do not actually sit for it. Similarly, you cannot simply assume that people who are apparently disadvantaged would actually do well enough to earn a spot in a course if their studies are not severely disrupted by apparent social influences.

If a higher proportion of places for courses is allocated to EAS students then why not just bump it up to 100%? After all, as you implied, all 'disadvantaged' students would be able to get into their course of choice if their studies are not interrupted by their 'problems.'

Now I am not saying that EAS is completely rubbish but all you seem to be worrying and thinking about is yourself. You do realise that many people who are not able to cheat themselves into a course do not get into the course of their dreams, despite all of the hard work that they put it right? Now how is it fair when someone who works their ass off all year but ends up missing out on getting into the course that they want to just because someone who did basically no work during the year stole their place?

How do you propose that the degree of someone's disadvantage is judged? I ask this because you could pretty much argue that most people are disadvantaged. Also, how do you propose that people are supposed to work out how much their degree of 'disadvantage' affected their score? Put simply, you cannot do such things in a way which would prevent people who worked hard from having their hard earned places in courses stolen.

Unless you spend every opportunity you get to study(ie. the only times you do not study are when you sleep, eat and have showers) then you are really in position to say that your scores were greatly affected by your circumstances.

Last edited:

Paroissien

HSC
Why did you take so long to say something relatively simple?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Not every EAS student gets into the 5% of places just as not every non-EAS student gets into the 95% of place.

You can claim disadvantage and all that, but in the end a lot of it comes down to you. There's libraries where anybody is welcome to go to study in peace. Knowledge transcends socio-economic status - you don't need to be rich to learn.
Out of interest, whereabouts do you live?

I sort of see where you're coming from, but the fact is, a lot of people in disadvantaged socio-economic groups receive inferior education because of lack of resources, often HAVE to work (ie, for me, i choose to work, but if i decided to quit for the hsc it wouldn't bother my parents to give me money), have bad home situations (again, i don't know if you've experienced this kind of thing, but my parents are currently splitting up and that is more than enough of a distraction-yet it's not half of bad as some of the situations i used to see when living in campbelltown)... not to mention that everyone can access libraries with decent resources, as a lot of these areas are lacking when it comes to public trasnport.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree re: this guy's ideas on EAS, but I do think it should be taken more into consideration. there's personal responsibility, but your individual circumstances also have an undeniable impact on your opportunities.

Last edited:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
rantman said:
I live in the 'Greater Western Sydney' area and go to a pretty dodgy school... get y allowance and live in a low socio-economic area (near Ashcrroft & Cabra area). I find that max 5% of places reserved for disadvantage people who score within 5 marks of the UAI cutoff is not sufficient. Some people out here have major problems, including financial hardship, family problems, adverse social environment, dodgy schools as I have already metioned, high unemployment, high crime, etc. I think the amount of places reserved should be increased, so too the UAI cutoff range of 5%UAI. Anyone been through similar circumstances agree?
People should also be judged on how disadvantaged they are because some people get onto the EAS who only meet 1 or 2 of the criteria and some people have like 3,4,5+ and end up with the same treatment.
I agree with Slide Rule. If too many places were allocated to the disadvantaged students then that would be overlooking the majority. And I think that if you get less than 5 points less than the required UAI you may not be able to stomach that particular course anyway. Fee paying courses are about 5 off the cutoff as well I think.
Btw I'm eligible for EAS so no one have a go at me for being biased. :(

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
theres so many applicants for eas... so not many ppl will get a place

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
rantman said:
Grow a pair and get the fuck over it. There are people with learning disabilities who will find it much more difficult than you (I for one suffer ADHD which means it's almost impossible for me to concentrate on anything for an extended period of time), but you know what I did? Focussed on my study instead of some bullshit safety net because there are people who will find things much more difficult than me and hence deserve it more, and I am very disappointed if my place ended up going to somebody who felt to lazy to get off their ass and walk to the library.

rantman

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Grow a pair and get the fuck over it. There are people with learning disabilities who will find it much more difficult than you (I for one suffer ADHD which means it's almost impossible for me to concentrate on anything for an extended period of time), but you know what I did? Focussed on my study instead of some bullshit safety net because there are people who will find things much more difficult than me and hence deserve it more, and I am very disappointed if my place ended up going to somebody who felt to lazy to get off their ass and walk to the library.
You say that some people are more disadvataged than others, thats exaxtly what I am saying and that is why people who get onto the EAS should be judged upon the degree of disadvanatged they experineced. Because the current scheme judges people on whether they faced some form of disadvantage or not, and so even if if you have ADHD you would be treated the same as a person who was mentally-abled and simply went to a priority funded school, thats what this thread is about.

azn_spirit

...messed up...
HSC
Geez I don't get why your complaining so much, like if they increase it then the people that worked their asses off will start complaining that some ppl have an unfair advantage in which some are already at the moment, you should be grateful that they're already reserving 5% for guys like yourself.

And Withoutaface, cheers, I knew somebody would step up and say it sooner or later. Point is EAS is good enough, I think the Diversity and Equality Unit at each Uni already have enough work trying to work out whos eligible and whos not, so don't be too greedy, better to work hard yourself rather than rely on a safety net.

lala2

Banned
HSC
withoutaface, don't mean to be insensitive or probing or anything but what's the maximum amount of time you can concentrate before you just burst? It must be hard, having ADHD, and having to do the HSC (or having done it), and if you're in uni, it's not going to be easy either.

Well done for being such a survivor--now that's what I call a real survivor, not just some reality TV show (though it could be quite hard for the contestants, I don't know)

rantman

HSC
N/A
azn_spirit:"people that worked their asses off will start complaining that some ppl have an unfair advantage in which some are already at the moment, you should be grateful that they're already reserving 5% for guys like yourself."

You idiot, "unfair advantage"? You are saying these people have an "unfair advantage" because they are disadvantaged, how can you have an advantage by being disadvantaged in the first place, thats why they are on EAS, get a brain azn_spirit!

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
lala2 said:
withoutaface, don't mean to be insensitive or probing or anything but what's the maximum amount of time you can concentrate before you just burst? It must be hard, having ADHD, and having to do the HSC (or having done it), and if you're in uni, it's not going to be easy either.

Well done for being such a survivor--now that's what I call a real survivor, not just some reality TV show (though it could be quite hard for the contestants, I don't know)
It's not so much a maximum amount of time, it's just that just about anything will distract me, and I found my main problem was in class where I'm trying to listen to the teacher but no matter how hard I try to concentrate I stop concentrating without my realising. I'm planning to counter this during uni by doing background reading for the lectures so they're easier to concentrate on.

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
Btw I'm eligible for EAS so no one have a go at me for being biased. :(
Don't mean to probe, but out of curiosity, how do you know whether you are eligible for EAS when you are sitting for the HSC this year? Can you send in the application before your HSC year? Or are you just guessing you will be because you do have major disadvantage?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
waf, i never realised. though, after you ahve said it, and knowing how well you did, i feel that i can do it as well. that is to get into the course i am aiming for.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
i agree.. i am now inspired to try my best >_<"

and btw what does EAS stand for ._."

MouNtY

I'm from a low socio-economic background, and i agree with a lot of things that withoutaface and slide rule have said on here, but basically my opinion is, and i know it might be cliche, but i still think it doesn't matter where your from or the types of problems you have, but if you want it badly enough there's always a way for you to get what you want. Now with the eas thing, it's great if you use it and whatever, but the reason i didn't apply for it was similar to the reasons some of yous before had given.

Basically i think that if you want to do something you need to work for it, and with eas you're just depending on something that you've not worked for, sure you might be poor or whatever but like people have said before, that's never stopped anyone from walkin to a library, or askin for help, and if i gained a place because of it, i'd feel like i would've stolen the place of someone who might've worked really really hard to try and get into that course.

Now no one here could accuse me of being biased, as i have disadvantages in my life that some of you would've cried over. But i know you need to work for what you want, and i tried to get through the HSC with as little effort as possible, and i managed to get into uni, now it might not be a uni that's crash hot, but it's on a path that leads me in the direction i want.

I don't mean to sound like people who apply for eas suck because i know what it's like to feel as if you need to scrape all that you can together to try and make it and i'm all for that, but just in my situation, i don't really want things that i, or my family haven't worked for.

But i mean if EAS works for you, then why the hell not.

Last edited by a moderator:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Slide Rule said:
People with ADHD are typically more visual and kinesthetic learners than auditory:they learn by doing things and get the whole picture first and work the details out later. They have strong spatial functions, so things like emotions (the good and the bad), creativity, visualisation usually come easier to them. Organisation, planning things out - these are not easy because they have weaker auditory/sequential functions.

But it varies from person to person. I like to plan things, but a am totally unorganised and am always late to things (including school). Oh, and being more creative does not mean being good at art. You should see my handwriting... or my stick figures.
I think Slide Rule's summed it up perfectly here, people with ADHD learn in different ways which are not necessarily catered for in the classroom. For example I found that I would learn more in maths by going blindly into the questions and having a crack myself and then going back to look at examples than paying attention to whatever the teacher was doing up the front.

Asquithian: I agree totally, there are far too many people that take things for granted.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
i deserv +10 uai, because i had everything i wanted in my room which kept me from studying efficientlyu

i dare all you idiots to try studying with msn and mirc on, its the hardest thing ever

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)