• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

EAS Applications (1 Viewer)

ShayK

HSC
Hey dear BOSers!

I just need to ask you all for advice about the EAS applications since my school’s careers adviser is no help :(

I came to Australia from Fiji last year in March. I did year 11 and received ESL because they thought I did not know English at all (trust me, English was a subject in Fiji since Kindergarten), and half way I was shifted from Standard English to Advanced English because apparently they thought I have the potential to do well in the Advanced course.

So getting to the point, the careers adviser told me that I should apply for “coming to Australia in Year 11 or 12 and doing HSC, receiving ESL” but that wouldn’t be a very strong application, would it? Because I’m ranking 5/28 overall for Semester 2 in the Advanced course and last I attended an ESL class was last year June-ish.

I talked to Miss about my dad’s on-going operations and the increased family responsibilities I have to handle, but she just told me that she doesn’t care about that and I just should apply for the English option :S

What should I do? Apply for the English option or the family responsibilities? :S

Prussan

HSC
N/A
I'm applying for multiple things with EAS.

My advice is to apply for both - you can put multiple disadvantage codes on the one form. The EAS information states
Many EAS applicants have multiple disadvantages, but each disadvantage is considered and assessed individually.
If you don't apply for all the disadvantages that you believe you are eligible for, then UAC won't be able to assess them. And since each disadvantage is assessed individually, UAC won't rule out you out for both of the disadvantages, if they determine that you're not eligible for one of them.
Just make sure you have documentation which supports your application; it's your best shot at convincing UAC of your disadvantage.

You never know, you might receive bonus points for both, but you won't if you don't apply! It's worth a shot!

briesykes

HSC
I would definitely apply for both.
If the situation has an impact on your education, then it is worth including in your application. Your careers advisor is crazy to tell you not to apply for your Dad's operations! I hope he gets well soon and that you're doing okay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)