e4 cutoff? (1 Viewer)

J-Wang

HSC
What does everyone think the e4 cutoff for this years exam will be? Personally, I'm guessing around 50/70

JChou

HSC
60/70 definitely sounds probable. I didn't do too well but it's mostly mistakes. Past papers (that's including last years) are much MUCH harder than this year's and if I had those test papers I wouldn't be making any 'mistakes' at all cause instead I would be saying that I had no idea how to do them. Not sure what the BoS is trying to do though, seems like they are reducing the standards for maths ext 1 (and 2u maths. but then ext 2 is a whole new story).

reddie

HSC
Aligning is very complex. People need to realise that the Board of Studies consider the hypothetical situation that everyone from our year 7 cohort sat the exam. That is why MX1 and MX2 aligns and scales so highly. Considering our year 7 cohort would have been ~85,000 and only ~5,000 kids do MX1, a slight decrease in the difficulty in the exam isn't going to alter how well it aligns or the E4 cut-off (it may increase 1 or 2 points max). You have to remember that for the vast majority of the state, the entire 3 unit course would be too difficult for them. A lack of really difficult at the end of the paper would only affect a small(ish) percentage of people as a lot wouldn't have been able to the questions at the end anyway (even if they were slightly easier than usual).

J-Wang

HSC
All you people that are saying 60/70 cutoff are way off. Whilst the test was relatively easy and many people will have been able to achieve a mark of 60+, you are forgetting about all the small, rural schools and also the students whom do MX1, but aren't at the 'peak' of their cohort. Of the 9000 odd people who do MX1, I doubt any more than maybe 2000 of them will have achieved over 60. Most people will have failed. The cutoff for e4 will be as usual, maybe max-ing at 53

freeeeee

HSC
Aligning is very complex. People need to realise that the Board of Studies consider the hypothetical situation that everyone from our year 7 cohort sat the exam. That is why MX1 and MX2 aligns and scales so highly. Considering our year 7 cohort would have been ~85,000 and only ~5,000 kids do MX1, a slight decrease in the difficulty in the exam isn't going to alter how well it aligns or the E4 cut-off (it may increase 1 or 2 points max). You have to remember that for the vast majority of the state, the entire 3 unit course would be too difficult for them. A lack of really difficult at the end of the paper would only affect a small(ish) percentage of people as a lot wouldn't have been able to the questions at the end anyway (even if they were slightly easier than usual).
The guy sounds like he knows what he is talking about. --> ~50/70 E4

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
All you people that are saying 60/70 cutoff are way off. Whilst the test was relatively easy and many people will have been able to achieve a mark of 60+, you are forgetting about all the small, rural schools and also the students whom do MX1, but aren't at the 'peak' of their cohort. Of the 9000 odd people who do MX1, I doubt any more than maybe 2000 of them will have achieved over 60. Most people will have failed. The cutoff for e4 will be as usual, maybe max-ing at 53
+1
couldnt agree more! the people who are saying its easy on here are the one's who are the top of the cohort in mx1

MonsterMe

HSC

Thank you. It's frustrating hearing over and over again how easy the exam was, as they completely disregard the fact that not everyone find ext maths abundantly easy, and nor does the entire state have access to fantastic teachers or tutors, let alone a high ranking school to begin with. Despite the fact I could do q14 when I got home, I ran out of time because I was trying to let myself think and not psych myself out.

reddie

HSC
+1

The E4 cut-off for the last few years has sat around 70% for the last few years (which is around 49/70). Yet some people are saying it will go to 60/70 which is around 86%. If the E4 cut-off went to 60/70, it would put the aligning of 3 unit worse than subjects like Ancient, Legal, Business, Modern and all the sciences. At the very most, the cut-off will rise to the low 50's.

Kieran95

HSC
It feels incredible to finally read a band cut-off thread that actually has some logic behind it!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
No, just no.

Aligning is based on the difficultly of the paper not the cohort, that's scaling, and the UAC does that.

(but I do agree that it won't change much)

Last edited:

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
No, just no.

Aligning is based on the difficultly of the paper not the cohort, that's scaling, and the UAC does that.
wtf are you on about? regardless of the alignment or difficulty of paper - the point is that everyone is saying the cut off will be 10-15% higher, we all found it 'easier', because most people of BoS who are bothered to compare and discuss the exam are the students (us) in the top end of MX1... because the paper was indeed actually more simple, maybe they might raise a little bit to keep it inline (as you said) with the difficulty - but not freaking 10-15%

reddie

HSC
No, just no.

(but I do agree that it won't change much)
Yeah I know that cohort is mainly considered in UAC's scaling but it is also in aligning. Aligning is determined by the difficulty of the paper but the difficulty has to be relative to something. Otherwise why does 4 unit align better than 3 unit which aligns better than chem, phys, histories etc. The difficulty of the paper has to be relative to something and just by the nature of the 3 unit course, it is automatically more difficult than most other subjects.

NickGero

HSC
Does anyone doing 4U feel ten times better having struggled their way through the Ext 2 test and gotten 70/80 than having done the 3U test and just made a couple silly mistakes?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
wtf are you on about? regardless of the alignment or difficulty of paper - the point is that everyone is saying the cut off will be 10-15% higher, we all found it 'easier', because most people of BoS who are bothered to compare and discuss the exam are the students (us) in the top end of MX1... because the paper was indeed actually more simple, maybe they might raise a little bit to keep it inline (as you said) with the difficulty - but not freaking 10-15%
okay, settle down, I never said that, did I?

Please be quiet.

I just said how he explained it was wrong, which is right.

Yeah I know that cohort is mainly considered in UAC's scaling but it is also in aligning. Aligning is determined by the difficulty of the paper but the difficulty has to be relative to something. Otherwise why does 4 unit align better than 3 unit which aligns better than chem, phys, histories etc. The difficulty of the paper has to be relative to something and just by the nature of the 3 unit course, it is automatically more difficult than most other subjects.
the board decides on its difficulty in relation to previous years for aligning. (Why does general maths align just as well, if not better than mathematics?)

The UAC decides on its difficulty compared to other subjects and the entire cohort for scaling.

Yay!

b444

HSC
So would a 55/56 be enough for a 46?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)