Dux (1 Viewer)

Plebeian

All of our awards are based on HSC results, so Dux goes to the person with the highest UAI and subject prizes go to those who get the best HSC aggregate mark for each subject. Our presentation night is in March as a result, so all the Year 12 prizewinners come back - it works pretty well.

Our school requests that we tell them our UAIs for statistical reasons anyway, so it's not like you have to prove you're Dux like Sarah168 suggested.

I'm in the running for Dux but nothing is certain yet...

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
our school knows who our dux is. Not official or anything, just we've known since like year 10 who was going to get it.
This particular person topped all her subjects except 2 unit english. Doesn't sound like much but she really does deserve it, we're all pretty sure she's going to get 100.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
at our skool it is fairly obs who is going to get dux ... but i am going to try and beat that person! lol .. if i get dux it will be pretty amazing .. coz i am not exactly a person ppl would expect for dux .. gut we will see

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
aim54x said:
our dux is most firsts for every grade, xcept yr 12 , it has had a shake up, traditionally it was UAI, my sister got robbed because of this. but last year they changed it to most firsts i dont know wat they r gonna do now. hope it is most firsts. either way my chances are still good
Your sister was not robbed, she obviously topped less academic subjects than the dux, and was probably not as talented as the person who ended up getting dux, UAI system is much fairer, otherwise you can top std. english, gen. maths, sen. science etc and become dux over someone who has come top of say 3 & 4u maths, and come top 3 in physics, chem and adv. english. That's just my opinion.

twisted_sista00

OMG! custom status!
HSC
-blueblue- said:
at our skool it is fairly obs who is going to get dux ... but i am going to try and beat that person! lol .. if i get dux it will be pretty amazing .. coz i am not exactly a person ppl would expect for dux .. gut we will see
well if ur internal assessments arent high enough then u cant get it, already by default.
shut up and stop bragging

A_J_Gray

twisted_sista00 said:
well if ur internal assessments arent high enough then u cant get it, already by default.
shut up and stop bragging
Yeah noone likes a bragger

MoNNiE

HSC
no,
though in primary school i was very pissed off when i didn't get it and this guy did
anyways high school dux,
based on overall school academic performance

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Our school kind of had two duxes.... one was based on who got the most firsts in subjects (basically it was who the school thought would get the highest UAI) and I got that (Dux on trial results)..... but then they had a dux on UAI and a guy beat me by 0.1 thanks to extension 2 maths' scaling.... grr so I was kind of de-duxed because he got his name on the dux of the school honor board so yeah.... every school does it differently.

drama queen

gilly_aj said:
Sportsman Of The Year Buddy, Thats where its all at.
has anyone ever noticed how the Sportsman of the year is always good looking? oh except in 2004.

rumour

HSC
townie said:
I got Dux of my school, and our school simply bases it on whoever got the most firsts in their subject, personally i think thats a stupid system, but i wouldnt have gotten dux without it so i cant really complain
Yeah, same with my school, my friend who came first in 4 subjects got it, but the thing is she didn't actually come first in 2 unit maths, cause all the 3 unit people beat her!!

Dux, came first in:- Modern History, Bio, Chem & 2 unit maths

Last edited:

rumour

HSC
withoutaface said:
Your sister was not robbed, she obviously topped less academic subjects than the dux, and was probably not as talented as the person who ended up getting dux, UAI system is much fairer, otherwise you can top std. english, gen. maths, sen. science etc and become dux over someone who has come top of say 3 & 4u maths, and come top 3 in physics, chem and adv. english. That's just my opinion.
I read somewhere that Standard & Advanced English are scaled the same, & on SAM they are scaled the same, so does it really matter which of these you do?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yes, because the vast majority of the time the more able students do advanced.

Hence standard english is easier to top.

rumour

HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
well they used to do it based on the person who got the most firsts, then another dux for the highest uai... usually there is a clear winner for the person who got the most firsts... usually the same person would get highest uai. But this year we had three girls that came first in five subjects each and they would be ranked 4th, 5th or 6th in their other subject, so instead of giving a dux before they get their uai, they each got awards of excellence, and the person with the highest uai will become dux. Yes, they changed the system for our smart grade.
But what if they all get the same uai :p?

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
aim54x said:
our dux is most firsts for every grade, xcept yr 12 , it has had a shake up, traditionally it was UAI, my sister got robbed because of this. but last year they changed it to most firsts i dont know wat they r gonna do now. hope it is most firsts. either way my chances are still good
she beat him in english 3U, Physics and bussiness. he did 4U and topped dat cause he was d only student. 90.7 vs 91.4, i guess d 4u helped him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)