Dumpster Diving (1 Viewer)

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I dumpster dive with my friends, we have a local Food not Bombs group.

Does anyone else dumpster dive? I'd love to co-brag about our exploits and findings.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I am interested in, but uninformed on this subject. I've had mates who were into it.

Can you recommend any reading on the subject?

yoddle

is cool
HSC
hahaha I'm happy you have defied the stereotype i was pigeonholing you into.

No i can't really recommend that much reading other than wikipedia, we're basically self-taught. It is featured in a zine-turned-book called Evasion, by CrimethInc, which I'm yet to read but sounds good.

But the name explains it all really; pretty much sneaking around at night time sifting through bins out the back of supermarkets, getting food and other random stuff people chuck out. It gets really addictive, because you find some awesome stuff, becasue supermarkets have to be so picky with what they display, a lot of completely edible and enjoyable food is chucked out. E.g. dented tins and cans.

There is a huge place that wholesales to school canteens and stuff near my house, and once we got five boxes of chips about a week out from their used by date (chips don't go bad til weeks after their best before anyway), which we gave out at this art thing. And its really fun to dive too cos you have to bushbash and go under a couple of fences n shit.

What we don't use at home for cooking we give away on the street.
Politics aside, its so much fun!

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
You don't know me man, you don't wear my chains.

I want to go now, sounds fun. Someone take me.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I haven't died yet.

But seriously, I'm sure you can judge for yourself whether you think its hygenic/clean enough for you. Juts use common sense and wash the food before you cook with it.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I dumpster dive with my friends, we have a local Food not Bombs group.

Does anyone else dumpster dive? I'd love to co-brag about our exploits and findings.
I find dumpster diving a good way of concealing oneself, however I do not consume any matter there as it may have degraded beyond edibility.

Boxes

Banned
HSC
my friend who works at woolies tells me that the shit they chuck in the dumpster is good shit.

Last edited:

yoddle

is cool
HSC
my friend who works at woolies tells me that the shit they chuck in the dumpster is good shit.
Yes I work there too and it kills me what we chuck out. You get the sack for taking home damaged stock (e.g. cans that have fallen out of their box or broken easter eggs)

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Oh man, I really want to do dumpstar diving. But I live in the suburbs, and the only dumpster around here is in the back of Woolies, and thats guarded by cameras.

Do Woolies care whether you go dunpster diving behind their shops?

yoddle

is cool
HSC
they have cameras on their dumpsters??? OK that must be a mainland thing.

Well we got Woolies all the time (not the one I work at though), after they've closed, and they don't care, because, they're not there.

The bins will be locked but as long as they've got a plastic lid you can still get stuff out. Coles' bins are generally easier, around here anyway, because they have smaller bins therefore they're always packed up to the lid.

So yeah, just go after they've closed. I doubt anyone would call the cops or anything if someone sees you, pretty sure its not illegal anyway.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
they dont really have cameras on their bins, in the back of the shop theres a depot where trucks offload their cargo for woolies. Anyone can just walk in, but there are several (very visible) cameras and they cover the entire depot.

kandyman

HSC
dumpster diving is fucken awesome. SHits all over eevry other sport apart from tabble tennis

Tumnus

HSC
I've heard of it. Personally i'd like to do it once i move into town. I've heard of this guy who partnered up with the stores and they'd ring him up when they had a large load they had to chuk (caus like if one jar in a packet smashed they had to throw the whole thing out! sounds crazy to me n i don't know if they still do it like that nowadays) he'd fill up his ute with all this great stuff. As long as you avoid things like meat, milk, n eggs you could probably tell very well if smthing is bad or not.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I was forced to dump 2.1kg of fine garlic in the bin at work tonight, then when i finished, texted my friends, who are going round after we close to dumpster dive it.

hehe:hippie:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)