Dumb school drag mark down? (1 Viewer)

Vladormarx

HSC
N/A
At my school the quality of my fellow students is pretty low. If I can get as many 1st places or high ranks as possible in the subjects that I do, will it mean that I won't get dragged down or dragged down as much?

S

Shuter

Yes, finish first, assessments can drag you wayyyyy down. That said, a crap school won't tell you how to anser questions correctly really either.

raymes

HSC
as long as your assesment rank is reflective of your HSC performance (which it is in 99% of cases), you will, by no means, be dragged down by being in a poor class.

Now lets examine the disadvantages of being in a lower achieving class (by class i imply all those attempting a particular subject at you school of course). If you are in a lower achieving class and you come first in the assesment rankings but screw up your HSC exam, your assesment mark will also suffer to the same extent.

If, however, your attending a high performing school and come first in the assesment rankings but screw up your HSC, your assesment mark will be, for the most part, uncompromised.

The affect of peer groups on marks isnt as subjective and unexplainable as so many people think. For the most part, the mark people recieve is the mark they deserve regardless of the school they attend (ignoring the level education)

to understand how this works check out the many threads on scaling and the alignment of marks. its a really simple process and i think too many people post before searching and reading and it always ends up with lazarus making a repetitive post in every second thread (though im sure he enjoys it all the more ;))

S

Shuter

raymes said:
as long as your assesment rank is reflective of your HSC performance (which it is in 99% of cases), you will, by no means, be dragged down by being in a poor class.
For the most part, the mark people recieve is the mark they deserve regardless of the school they attend (ignoring the level education)
Not true, in my results alone I had discrepencies of 16 and 8 marks between my exam and assessment marks.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I hate people that whinge about their marks being dragged down. If you had put time and effort into your assessment tasks then your marks should reflect your performance in the exam. If your school is shit, that means higher ranks should theoretically be easier to come by and therefore if you get a shitty assessment mark its your own fault.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
You don't get scaled down for being at a 'poor' school itself. I mean, if you to a state school, the UAC doesn't scale you down because of that. The only factor which may affect your HSC is a class which works at a slower rate than you do...or a faster rate. IMHO, it's the attitude of the student that dictates assessment/HSC marks, not which school you go to. Somebody that's going to put in the work for their assessments and their HSC will get good marks regardless of what school they go to. I go to Casula High, and last year we had someone achieve a 96.9 UAI.

Your marks are up to you in the end. If you're not gonna make a genuine attempt at a state school, you won't make a genuine attempt at a private/selective school.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
absolution* said:
I hate people that whinge about their marks being dragged down. If you had put time and effort into your assessment tasks then your marks should reflect your performance in the exam. If your school is shit, that means higher ranks should theoretically be easier to come by and therefore if you get a shitty assessment mark its your own fault.
Second that :)

Come first in assessments + ace the HSC exam = high HSC mark

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
let me say this again. good assessment marks but shit ranking = shit hsc

mack

Banned
HSC
Vladormarx said:
At my school the quality of my fellow students is pretty low. If I can get as many 1st places or high ranks as possible in the subjects that I do, will it mean that I won't get dragged down or dragged down as much?

If you're ranked first in everything the school you go to won't mean a thing, and it will up to you for the external exams.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
its cause i explained it all in the other thread, the dumb V smart school thread. refer to that one, and you'' understand.

i detect minor spasms of sarcasm from absolution... :D

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
lesmiester_dj said:
let me say this again. good assessment marks but shit ranking = shit hsc
Depends what school.
If you go to a selective school you may have an assessment mark of 94 and be ranked 40/50 (esp. in Ext 2 Maths) - you'll probably still end up with a mid-Band 6 if you do well in the HSC exam. But generally you won't get a a good assessment mark + a bad ranking unless you go to a highly academic school anyway.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
ah crap looks like im screwed
i jus go 2 a normal catholic school..
not private or selective
our school didnt even make it in the top 200 schools! :(

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
correct me if i'm wrong tho, but say, for most of the year, ur class achieves a certain level, but then a few people decide not to try for the actual HSC exam...wouldnt that mean ur marks WOULD be dragged down as the average of the HSC exam doesnt reflect the average assessment mark, or does the Board not count marks in the average that are way-off expectations

wanton-wonton

HSC
Vladormarx said:
You won't get dragged down as much.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^ No, it means he/she won't get dragged down at all. If he/she gets a 90 in the external exam, then it stays a 90, same if he/she gets 30. This is all provided that he/she comes first in the external exam.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Although, if he simply gains a "high rank" (presumably top 5) but he's not first, he may get dragged down slightly.
But on that note, if Vladormarx is more able than his fellow classmates he should have no problem gaining 1st place in all of his subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)