Dumb Question :Textbooks?? (1 Viewer)

sharks05

HSC
Where on Earth do you get them from !?!:) I managed to get 2 second hand... Are there suppliers or a shop at the university?? Man do I feel stoopid at all this

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
www.coop-bookshop.com.au

You will love them, and call them friend. In about a month they will have all the text lists for the subjects in which the lecturer could be bothered posting one (ie most). First class you attend for each subject they'll give you a subject syllabus which usually has the textbook, as well as "recommended reading". Unlike school, you don't HAVE to get that specific book, because they realise uni textbooks are not cheap and we are dirt poor. If you have a chemistry textbook that covers the material but isn't prescribed it's usually fine.

Most people don't bother with the recommended reading, and anyone who says they've read everything is lying (there's no way you could read everything and have enough time left to do some actual work).

Oh yes, at UNSW they have their own bookstore and don't use the Co-Op. But the Co-Op is divine ($25 lifetime membership with 10% discount! Huzzah!).

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Most people don't bother with the recommended reading, and anyone who says they've read everything is lying (there's no way you could read everything and have enough time left to do some actual work).
I don't think its the time constraints which retard a uni students ability to do all the reading. I think it might have something to do with that

a) You could be at any number of university and surrounding area bars.
b) You're too busy doing that assignment due last tuesday to actually read this weeks work.
c) This XBox game is just so goddamn addictive
d) The 7 hours you just spent there before you got home just made reading that little bit too hard.

The biggest lesson you learn in uni is Opportunity Cost.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Yeah, recommended readings are not worth the purchanse-if you get stuck just seek them out from the library or even from your lecturer (a lot of lecturers are generous with lending out their books!), as you will probably only need it once or twice at most. But even a lot of required books turn out to be a waste of money...I have a couple of so-called "required" books from 1st year that to this day I have only flicked through.
Unless the book is something you will refer to over the whole course (such as a dictionary or a general book on physiology or something) or something that will still be a useful reference when you graduate, then you may be able to do without it.
Some books may be very helpful while you're doing that subject, but you may "grow out of it" at the end of studying that subject, and by the time you've graduated everything in the text book is more or less basic knowledge that you won't need tp look up. In this case, you can weigh up whether the cost is really worth it for only one a semesters use, or whether you can get away with just borrowing it from the library/off a friend. Other books turn out to be a waste of time altogether, so try to look through the book first or ask around the higher years to see how useful they found it before you buy. A good indicator of useless books is if a lot of people seem to be selling the same book...if lots of people are getting rid of it, it mustn't have be that useful.

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
Raiks said:
I don't think its the time constraints which retard a uni students ability to do all the reading. I think it might have something to do with that

a) You could be at any number of university and surrounding area bars.
b) You're too busy doing that assignment due last tuesday to actually read this weeks work.
c) This XBox game is just so goddamn addictive
d) The 7 hours you just spent there before you got home just made reading that little bit too hard.

The biggest lesson you learn in uni is Opportunity Cost.

Someone did and is doing Economics :rolleyes:

Everything is an opportunity Cost basically.

Going to High School is an Opportuniy cost becasue you could be out there earning money in an aprenticeship, etc.

Thats why we have to make decisions every day.

Anyway's I have signed up for the Co-op Bookshop Myself and have become a life member :cool: .

I think it is a good deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)