Duke of Edinburgh Award service (1 Viewer)

Kittikhun

HSC
Hello.

What did you guys do for your service? At the moment I don't know what to do but I'm contemplating about St. Vincent de Paul. The thing is since I'm not Catholic do you think they will still accept me? Do you guys know any other service I can do? I don't really care what it is if I'm at least helping some else in need; except if the times are not in the weekends which if it is will conflict with my timetable. I live in the Campbelltown region and any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
I did service at school. If you are doing Bronze, you can get away with service by doing a first aid course. I am sure st vincent de paul wont mind. Just go up and say you are doing DOE and I am sure they will work something out.

Have you tried the hospital? My friend did his at Royal North Shore and he loved it (well he is going to med school). So try a hospital?

benn07

HSC
I taught computers to one of my mums friends, and my mums friend is going to be my assessor person.
Other things people did were:
-any volunteer work, like at the local tourist information centre
-work at the local nursing home
-help at pre-school
But yeah, SVDP will accept you!

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
I did both bronze and silver
for bronze i did work for st vincent
but for silver i did a first aid course last year they accepted it

Kittikhun

HSC
Problem. I have gone to SVDP and they said I was too young. I then went to the Salvation Army and asked them but they said they have priority for the people who are on the dole first but they will call me in the near future which they haven't, so I'm going to bail out of that whether they will call me in the future or not out of guilt. I have also already done a first aid course before I started the award so that option is out.

So how does one ask to do service at the hospital? I've got no other choice ,anyways, but I want to be ready in order to have a higher chance of success of actually doing volunteer work at the hospital than being rejected because I'm too young or because I have superficial medical knowledge. Do I just walk up to the front desk of the visiting area and just ask?

Thanks.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Kittikhun said:
Problem. I have gone to SVDP and they said I was too young. I then went to the Salvation Army and asked them but they said they have priority for the people who are on the dole first but they will call me in the near future which they haven't, so I'm going to bail out of that whether they will call me in the future or not out of guilt. I have also already done a first aid course before I started the award so that option is out.

So how does one ask to do service at the hospital? I've got no other choice ,anyways, but I want to be ready in order to have a higher chance of success of actually doing volunteer work at the hospital than being rejected because I'm too young or because I have superficial medical knowledge. Do I just walk up to the front desk of the visiting area and just ask?

Thanks.
you just go and call the hospital you are interested in. Since you are young, they are unlikely to give you the service. Last resort, go do service in your school library!

selablad

HSC
A couple of my friends did their service at animal places, if you like animals - the local vet, the RSPCA and some horse stable place I think they did (one each, not all of them :D )
Even if you're not religious, you could try your local church (that's what I did - I'm not religious, but my grandmother is). You could either help them or they might know lonely old people to visit and stuff, or they might have volunteer programs or something, because churches are all community-based and that...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)