dude wheres my country? (1 Viewer)

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
hmm seeing that this is my first time 2 wander into this forum im guessing that there has already been a thread on this excellent satirical novel by Michael Moore! I FUCKING LOVE THAT GUY! 2 ne1 who has read it, what did u think of it? and do u think it was beta then stupid white men? to ne1 who hasnt read it...

GO OUT AND GET IT!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm still reading Stupid White Men (concurrently with many others) so I'm not touching the sequel yet. :)

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Okay I needed help with some bits of his last book re: presidential election - but I did enjoy it and will be reading this next one.

You should treasure Micheal Moore whether or not you agree with him. Whether or not you believe in what he is writing he is a voice with a different and independant outlook. Too much of our media ( and here I mean world media) is in the hands of only a few people. These media barrons are dictating content and spin of reporting. We need independants, we need them badly.

blah, yep, I'm tired :sleep:

Ziff

HSC
N/A
What a communist.

It's funny, you have dumbarse lefties and dumbarse righties, at least the dumbarse lefties are funnier...

Ocker

I enjoy his books, sometimes.

But you must read them as humour, rather than a in-depth political analysis.

I think he even fucked himself up once in an interview, when asked if his books were meant to be humurous or political.

If you enjoy Moore, you should check out Pilger or similar...not only is he Aussie, he is a lot smarter and factual :)

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Originally posted by Ashleet
hes a bit of an idiot, but so very very funny
I saw an interwiew with him where he said that is scares him to see himself in his movie, Bowling for Columbine, because he is just and Average Joe. He's not super intelligent or rich or anything, just average, yet he is the only person in the media asking the questions that he does. It is scary that there arent more people like him out there questioning the establishment

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Something about the second book annoyed me... I think it is his writing style actually. I agree with his messages however I find his writing style somewhat grating.... he is better when he makes tv/docos

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
He used comedy to hide the fact that he doesn't have much of a grasp on politics....I think he finds it a lot easier to bag it than to actually understand it.

Melanie Jane

I've read this but I think SWM is better. Dude? seemed to be too much complaining and not a lot of explaining or offering of ideas, unless you count electing Oprah for President. :)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
In a way I agree with Ms 12.... I agree with his ideas however he doesn't really offer any solutions or insight other than to overthrow the government or elect Oprah as president.... his books are simplistic and written in a manner which begins to shit me after a short period of time. His writingt style reminds me of a child in a playground going "Na na na na na naaaaaa I'm right you're wrong".... I dunno there is something about it that really begins to grate on me.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
His writing style reminds me of a child in a playground going "Na na na na na naaaaaa I'm right you're wrong".... I dunno there is something about it that really begins to grate on me.

here here here here!

And the fact that he's promoting 'moore' cynicism (excuse the pun) infuriates me - there is enough of it in this world.

rubylotus11

New Rulers of the World is a great book and really gives you factual insight into what is going on in the world.
I also really enjoyed SWM and haven't yet read Dude where's my country? I think that Michael Moore doesn't really see himself as a person with the answers. I think his purpose is simply to make society question what the truth is and ask us to look beyond what politicians or the media tell us is reality. For just that fact I think it's a worthwhile read.

lolzieee

rOosters ^_-
I can't stand Michael Moore.. I think he's so arrogant in thinking that he knows everything that sucks about his country that he misses the point.
I agree with him (that his country is shit :p) but I just don't like the way he goes about demonstrating it. And i don't like his writing style..

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ocker
There is no-where near enough! [cynicism]
Have you not heard of the saying - NOTHING IS SACRED?

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
hmm i gotta defend moore! i can understand that he can be irratating for ppl who dont share his views and sometimes he is not that well informed on politics so he resorts to childish humour ie. oprah for president :) which i thought was hillarious! he states in his book that there is no clear cut solution to america's politics and its problems... but at least he is pointing these problems out without fear of reprisals, there need 2 be more ppl like him! oh and ne1 who can get booed at the oscars for expressing his political opinions and npot give a shit that he pissed off millions of ppl is definetly ok with me!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I share his views, I just don't love his books. I actually think he is better in TV/documentaries.... television is definately the medium he should stick to, I think that is his strength. I really enjoyed the TV series The Awful Truth and Bowling for Columbine.

varus

the point is moore has come to terms with the stupidity of his country-and i respect him for that
if you haven't already try n watch his series'The Awful Truth' hilarious and this time u have his dickhead country in a different medium! lol its very good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)