Dual Nationality/Citizenship, or Dual Passportholdership (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
Hey there,

Is there anyone here who knows anything about or actually has dual nationality/citizenship or also holds a passport to another country, ie, you were born in Australia and by some twist of fate also have a formal citizenish tie to another country?

The reason is, I'm currently reading all this red tape and formal language-written stuff on the new laws relating to the kids of former Germans (ie, my mum, who was naturalised an Australian ages ago), and I am trying to grasp what the international community, or at least the EU community calls a 'dual citizen' or someone who just holds a passport to an EU country.

So what i am asking, without my warbling on, is there anyone who's gone through the process of getting a passport or citiznechip to another country through a blood relative, and what processes did it involve? I'm contacting the German consulate in Syd soon, but I'd like to know how people presented themselves, what would be involved? It'd be good to travel on an EU country passport for all the EU countries that have relinquished border controls between their borders, like France, Ger, etc whoever else, and go through as a 'national' or a passport holder at least, of the country and not go through the miles of 'foreigners'(according to Europe, at least :) ) bureaucracy. Not that I have a clue what I am talking about, or what this would involve in todays climate.

Sorry if what i sed is just gibberish. my eyes are so heavy time for bed.. THx in advance for help

Chpas :D

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
legaly in australia you are allowed to have 2 citizenships. one australian + another country. particulary for german citzsp you have to proof that you are german (from mums/ dads side). if you can legaly prove it, germamy will give you their citezenship, BUT you have to cancel your australian citzsp. i dont know about any other countries.

chepas

HSC
ooh. cancelling aust citzenship isn't something i was counting on doing, at least not at this moment.... thx!

Carlito

HSC
hmm, im a dual citizen with australia and canada, but my parents did it for me when i was born, cause theyre canadian

lolzieee

rOosters ^_-
i'm dual citizen too... got United Kingdom/nthn ireland passport and aussie passport. Got mine when i was born too.
You'd have to check with the germans and see what their rules are about dual citizenship.. but seeing as ur mum is german it shouldn't be that hard.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
wouldnt mind one with the UK... but, being a 10th generation australian, i might have a few problems ;) If you work over there, on a working visa, can you apply for dual citizenship after a certian time period?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
No, you can apply for residency and eventually naturalisation. But (to my possibly outdated knowledge) Australia only offerd dual citizenship to MINORS, meaning Australians with dual citizenship are required to choose which country they would like to fall under once they turn 18.

The rules may have changed, but that's how it was a few years ago when I looked into it.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by piccaninny
legaly in australia you are allowed to have 2 citizenships. one australian + another country.
Really? I have three

but I thought that, you can't get another citizenship if you already have the Aussie one. However, what's possible is that you can have other citizenships before you get the Aussie one? Argh I am confused, myself/

Blackalicious

HSC
yup i have dual citizenship Singapore and Australia. but when i turn 18 i have to decide between the two because singapore does not allow dual citizenship

HSC
My mother's british so I have dual citizenship for Australia and Britain which i think is cool considering i've never even been to england

JimBob

HSC
N/A
My mum is english, so I want to get the dual citizenship thing for England and Australia, but i'm not exactly sure how i do it. I'm 17 now...

chepas

HSC
Ah k,

My project this holidays - off to the German consulgeneral in Woolahra. hurrah. But I've looked on some of their sites and some of these dual citzienship laws really tie you down to Germany even though the 'primary residence' is the Australia - especially in terms of their compulsory national service for guys... mmmm...

But with peoples mothers and fathers who are British, HK etc, have they been naturalised as Australian citizens, or (maybe this questions a long shot...) did you get your passports/dual citizenship when you were born WHILE they were still citizens of their respectigve countries?

And also, for those faced with the choice of choosing between countries, which would you choose, if you're a dual citizen but have to choose when ur 18 :D?

Ashleet

HSC
when you want dual citizenship with Australia and the uk/northern ireland through either of your parents having uk citizenship you have to be under 16 years of age to qualify. I got mine when i was 13 and thats what the rules were then

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Yup, I have British/Australian citizenship which I got through my parents ...

chepas

HSC
Lucky souls...

Finally phoned the German Consulate. I can't get a German one.... d'oh. Why did my mum have to get naturalised here! Hehe. If I stay for more than three months I have to apply for a residency permit and I think that can eventually lead to citizenship.

For those of you who have it, are you going to use it a lot? Well, does it actually affect you in a way? In any way?

Sabbo

HSC
I have an Austrian Citizenship (and passport) and Australian permanent visa. Last time I checked Austria didn't allow dual Citizenship :( Now that would be cool Austrian/Australian Citizen :)

Oh well at least since I'm permanent resident I won't have to go back and do military service (unless I go back to study etc)

I'm gonna keep my Austrian Citizenship though. Lived there for 13 years plus all the EU advantages especially when travelling :)

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by chepas
For those of you who have it, are you going to use it a lot? Well, does it actually affect you in a way? In any way?
Let's you work any where in the EU, could come in handy ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)