Drug education (1 Viewer)

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
What do you guys think of this? As well as teaching kids in school about the dangers of drugs (addiction, overdose, reduced inhibitions, permanent side effects), teachers should teach them DRUG USE SAFETY. For example, instead of saying "ecstasy is bad, don't touch it," they should also say, "ecstasy is bad and don't touch it, but if you're going to, remember to have plenty of fluids and have people around to help you if you need it."

Opinions?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i agree.

our school had this great guy, who came to our school, from the centre for drug studies or something and instead of "dont do drugs" etc. he basically, laid out the facts, what drugs do to u, and more importantly, trying 2 teach us that if somebody DOES take drugs, wat to do to stop them dying. 120 year 12 boys listened to this, without break, for 3hrs, without any distrubance. best drug education ever

stainmepink

HSC
Zoltan said:
What do you guys think of this? As well as teaching kids in school about the dangers of drugs (addiction, overdose, reduced inhibitions, permanent side effects), teachers should teach them DRUG USE SAFETY. For example, instead of saying "ecstasy is bad, don't touch it," they should also say, "ecstasy is bad and don't touch it, but if you're going to, remember to have plenty of fluids and have people around to help you if you need it."

Opinions?

i totally support it. There will always be the few who will take drugs, regardless of what they've been taught. The teachers arent promoting the use of drugs, just informing those who have chosen to take drugs a safe way to do so. Itd be far worse if they didnt, because the kids wouldnt have a clue on how to go about it, and possibly end up killing themselves in the process.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Zoltan said:

Opinions?
What do you mean by "kids"?

Comrade nathan

HSC
I think really lame rock and rap music about not doing drugs works best.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
wikiwiki said:
miss_b - your sig probably intended the use of the word mentally unless you are a robot :rolleyes: .

Drugs aren't going to go away. We are seeing how well preaching abstinence works in America...

Education is greater than trying to force it to go away by pretending it doesn't exist.
Opps, i mistyped it and no one has noticed till now...

Sure we should educate the kiddies about safe use of drugs but at what age? Should we teach them not to use drugs first? At what age should this happen?

imo, what we need is harsher penalties for drug use/possession/trafficing etc.

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
miss_b said:
What do you mean by "kids"?
By kids I just mean people at school, at any age. Heh I'm finishing school in a few months and I still get called a kid, but it's no big deal.

As to what age, I think that's part of why schools are reluctant to teach useful information about drugs (other than litigation fears etc), because how do you decide when people are old enough to learn that info?

walrusbear

HSC
miss_b said:
Opps, i mistyped it and no one has noticed till now...

Sure we should educate the kiddies about safe use of drugs but at what age? Should we teach them not to use drugs first? At what age should this happen?

imo, what we need is harsher penalties for drug use/possession/trafficing etc.
what would that achieve??
is drug taking REALLY a crime?

treating it as a crime has pretty much done fuck all as a deterrent
really only needlessly thrown people into legal turmoil and damaging jail terms

kat_mandu

What the?
HSC
walrusbear said:

Are you implying that we should just give up and make it all legal as to avoid the issues involved?

spell check

HSC
walrusbear said:

who else but a combination of walrus and bear could come up with such wisdom

we mustn't educate people on using drugs properly because if no one dies then anti-drug campaigners will have nothing to campaign with

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Personally, I think we should take people in gaol for drug crimes and use them to educate kids about drugs.

"Hi, kids! Today we're here with Con Vict. He'll be showing you the dangers of taking 40 tabs of acid and taking a heroin enema. Bend over would you, Con?"

walrusbear

HSC
kat_mandu said:
Are you implying that we should just give up and make it all legal as to avoid the issues involved?
it's not avoiding the issue
it's addressing it more realistically

viewing drug taking as a crime is an unproductive mindset. drug addicts are sick; not criminals.
humans always have and always will take drugs.
so i guess the only way to save lives and encourage a realistic attitude to the whole thing is to stop the harsh laws and divert energy toward safety concerns. promote a real drug education based on taking drugs correctly as opposed to a fear campaign that achieves nothing

spell check

HSC
if anything it is avoiding the issue to just take a zero tolerance stance

Last edited:

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
You know what's worked? Heroin injecting rooms.

Perhaps we should re-open opium den-style places where you pay at the door and enjoy the sweet-sweet goodness of a doobie, safe in the knowledge that you're in the safe hands of staff and ganja...wooooaaahhh maaaaan.

*Lights up and offers it around*

walrusbear

HSC
yeah opium dens would have been sweet

some opiates
a nice girl to look after you...

kat_mandu

What the?
HSC
walrusbear said:
it's not avoiding the issue
it's addressing it more realistically

viewing drug taking as a crime is an unproductive mindset. drug addicts are sick; not criminals.
humans always have and always will take drugs.
so i guess the only way to save lives and encourage a realistic attitude to the whole thing is to stop the harsh laws and divert energy toward safety concerns. promote a real drug education based on taking drugs correctly as opposed to a fear campaign that achieves nothing
in that case we should say that humans have and always will murder people, so instead of making it a crime we should be more realistic and except it and just educate people how they can do it safer.

your arguement in ridiculous. I agree that drug addicts are sick and we need to promote drug education but excusing there behaviour by eliminating it as a crime will not help anything

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
a good example is nicotine and alcohol.. we put large taxes on them.. and we have made them socially acceptable.. and are phasing them out slowly.. but are facing difficulty
its lik prescription drugs... oxytocin is now one of the most addictive and abused prescription drug..

managing them is hard but lucky not many ppl use it yet..

sometimes giving the education has problems because only so much sticks in the persons mind..
things like clean needle/safe injecting rooms.. methodone program..education about effects ..etc.. work

but legalising it isnt feasible... think about marijuana its fairly common place now.. marijuana is both smoked and hallucingenic... and has been shown to be able to ellicit mental illness and smoking causes lung cancer.. burden the health system more..

if we want anything.. THC from the marijuana could be made into a pill.. but it has sooo many side effects it couldnt never make approval as a prescription drug
ectasy is as bad..

the drugs and the ppl are 2 separate things.. tat needs to be the mindset..
traffickers are the problem.. they should be punished the most..
users should be managed.. and safely..
i do not support heavy drug use and i think we need to make a place before addiction hits..

i dun lik a tough stance.. but there is a drugs problem esp of harder substances..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)