Dropping to Standard- Too late? (1 Viewer)

AJohnston1121

HSC
Hey,

Do you guys rekon its too late to drop down to standard? I went soooo very bad in my Advanced Assemenet 5/15 and i'am starting to think. I try my hardest and I still can't score high. People who don't even study beat me. Its soo disheartening.

I'am in Yr 12 now do you rekon it would be too late to drop down to standard?

I believe they have done One Module so far- Image

We have done Brave New World/Bladerunner.

Both Standard/Advanced are doing Area of Stduy now- same test/same journey.

Jacks

HSC
hey, one bad mark isn't a reason to drop down...I recommend you go and see your teacher and ask them what they think, I personally wouldn't drop down now, but it may still be possible, though if so will probably require a lot of catch up work. You may be able to get some outside help such as tutoring and improve at advanced, but again I'd ask your teacher if they think you are coping ok with advanced and get their opinion. They may leave the decision up to you if it isn't too late, but remember there are people here who can help you, and there is still time for you to improve before the HSC. :)

^___^
HSC
don't drop down cos you did one bad exam/test/assignment

there were all these kids in my yr that were scoring 30% and that didn't stop them from continuing advance

AJohnston1121

HSC
Well the thing is I do get tutoring. Essay/English Tutoring. My essays well i thought had improved. In History i'am going great guns when before my marks were shocking. But English is my biggest worry. I just don't know if I think I can handle it. Just like I dropped down from 2Unit Math to General. English is going to pull my UAI WAY!!!!!!!!!! Down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
yeh one bad exam means nothing man, persist with it ull b fine...plus i think itll b hard for u to drop coz ull b one module behind and personally i think its too early for u to lose all hope...

^___^
HSC
hahha

as they all say

doing well(really well, not just above average) in a shit scaling subject, is equivalent to doing well in a good scaling subject

Jacks

HSC
EDIT sorry ... what I meant to say is that it doesn't scale better so don't make the decision based on how bad you think you'll go, and the affect that it may have on your UAI, it won't really matter...one assessment doesn't have that big an effect so I'd stick it out...like I said though your teacher would be able to recognise whether or not you're really struggling, it's not entirely unusual to do bad in one or two assignments... Though doing well in standard will see you better off than if you were to do really poorly in advanced. I do agree that it seems a little early to lose all hope though, but like I said speak to your teacher if you're really concerned. I'd be more than happy to help you if you need it.

Last edited:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
dont drop to standard dude
i did pretty crap in my 1st assessment
but its onli one assessment
theres always opportunity to do better in the next ones!
stick with it

^___^
HSC
Jacks said:
well remember that advanced scales better than standard anyways
NO!!!!!!!!

they both scale the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arrgh, for better explaination, please visit the uai scaling forum

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
miss_gtr said:
Teachers are bitches, I'd drop down.
Go old post bumperage!

my advice? no.. you'll have to catch up the other subjects over again.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
i did relatively poorly in my first assessment but ended up with band 6, so dont be disheartened. even if you do have a tutor - maybe you're just not doing the right things with them. talk to your teacher and ask them what they think you need to improve on and work on that.

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
yeha dont drop there would be far too much work to catch up on.
and many of the pplz who dropped from advanced to standard are not doing very well as they get distracted by those students who have a worse understanding then them.
stick with and and get a tutor (as i have just done)

mouldy_bread

HSC
I dont see why one assessment has you running and hiding. I was doing pitifully in eng x, then in my last essay I put a lot of effort and my own opinions in and voila 18/20. Its given me confidence that I sholudnt drop it or advanced.

justinreedy

HSC
The problem with moving to standard will be the catch up factor. If you are struggling at the moment, do you think you would be able to cope with that extra work load?

If you think you will do better in it, taking the fact that they scale the same into account, you might as well change.

I find it interesting how you say you are doing better in history essays - I find English essays much easier. They are definitely two different ball games. After a lot of work I'm becoming quite good at history essays, but whenever I sit down to answer an extended response I always take the subject into account. You just have to find what it is your marker is looking for, once you have gained that skill you are half way there (the other half requires you to know the material).

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
standard and afvanced english scale the same. here is the reasoning. there are two papers in the external exam for the hsc. one paper, both standard and advanced do the same paper. the second one corresponds to what each had done in the modules. so it is only in AOS where the scaling occurs.

advance students as opposed to standard students do better in this section. this is due to better understanding and better analytical work done by advnaced students than by standard students. the scaling factor then comes into the equation with the other three modules. the candiature is better in advanced compared to standard.

i hope i helped.

well my advice would be to look ahead to what you are going ot be doing. in advnaced, you will be doing shakespeare whereas in standard one does not do shakespeare. do advanced if you can cope with shakespeare, and you can do paper one well. its best to ask your teacher about the aforementioned stuff that i just said.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
lesmiester_dj said:
standard and afvanced english scale the same. here is the reasoning. there are two papers in the external exam for the hsc. one paper, both standard and advanced do the same paper. the second one corresponds to what each had done in the modules. so it is only in AOS where the scaling occurs.

advance students as opposed to standard students do better in this section. this is due to better understanding and better analytical work done by advnaced students than by standard students. the scaling factor then comes into the equation with the other three modules. the candiature is better in advanced compared to standard.

i hope i helped.

well my advice would be to look ahead to what you are going ot be doing. in advnaced, you will be doing shakespeare whereas in standard one does not do shakespeare. do advanced if you can cope with shakespeare, and you can do paper one well. its best to ask your teacher about the aforementioned stuff that i just said.
no, i dont think you have that quite right - advanced english and standard english are NOT scaled the same. the reason that both do the same AOS paper is to allow a comparison for the scaling to take place between them - ie. didone group do substantially better than the other and, if so, should this difference be reflected in the relative marks of the other paper?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)