Dropping bio but I wanna study nutrition in uni?!?! (1 Viewer)

jerresaaa

HSC
So I currently have 12 units, and I'm having a hard time coping with the workload.

I'm thinking of dropping bio before my half yearlies so I have more time to focus on subjects that I find difficult, such as math and chemistry. With that in mind, the science courses I want to do in uni obviously require biology, so I'm at a dead end. Of course I can do a bridging course, but I'm not keen on keeping bio until HSC.

In the first assessment task, I did pretty bad, and I like chemistry more than bio and ironically did significantly better (ranked in the top half of the cohort). By dropping, I know I'll have more time to focus on my other subjects though I won't have a 'safety net' in case I screw up a unit. Any suggestions?

(sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, its my first post :spin: )

Last edited:

patpatpat

HSC
If bio will be your weakest subject (besides SOR-1 it's probably your worst scaling subject) then drop it.

Can always pick up a textbook over the holidays before uni, or learn on the fly.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Whats the ranks/number in respective subject cohorts?

I recommend looking at past student performances in HSC external exams..

klee98

HSC
I really don't get how 'Safety nets' are suppose to help you. If you're having trouble balancing all these subjects, wouldn't hanging on to one more just complicate things. Logically speaking, the amount of time you have to spend gets spread up even further apart. Also, less efforts into the subjects you care for. Anyways, that's my 2 cents on safety nets.

Do what you must to accomplish your goals.
P/S if you've lost faith in a subject, chances are you're not going to do well in it and it'll only hinder your progress.

Constantine

HSC
Look at it this way - if you are doing so bad in biology, chances are it won't help your ATAR and so it will most likely, not aid you in getting into nutrition at the university you want. (I have no idea what the ATAR requirement is for nutrition but it doesn't really matter here.)

Your high school subjects DO NOT have to reflect what you want to do in uni. In fact, the smart thing to do is to do the subjects you are strong at, increase the potential of you getting the highest ATAR in order to actually get into your dream course. What you do in uni have a much bigger influence at what you do in life than high school subjects.

In addition, for nutrition is it recommended or assumed? I think bridging course > doing bad at bio and thus your HSC tbh. Trust me, at uni you'll also meet people who haven't done bio and are starting that nutrition degree.

It's not the end of the world to go into nutrition without biology, that's why bridging courses are there! Of course, you also have to be realistic about the amount of catching up you will have to do if you want to do well in uni. Also, all of these advice probably won't work as well for someone going into engineering or actuarial study without doing any maths because it's such a huge chunk of the pie. Based on what I've heard about nutrition though, do work hard in that bridging (should you choose this path) but there's no reason to dwell over it now - focus on your HSC.

tantantan

HSC
I'm doing bio right now and i really regret my choice of keeping it bcos its so boring. you dont even need to think about the information thats been spoon fed to you. There is no question to think about. bio is not a hard subject, Honestly you could half the course through the holidays when hsc has finished.

my friend is doing bio engineering at uni this year, and she got in the course while not having studied any sciences besides maths.
I know that chem has better scaling than bio and if you enjoy it, its a win-win situation for you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)