• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Dropping a subject + units... (1 Viewer)

KrissiA

HSC
For your HSC, did you do 10, 11 or 12 units? Which do you think is better?
I'm currently on 11 units, and considering dropping Extension History because I'm feeling very snowed under at the moment (I have 3 major works)...
That leaves me with only 10 units which means I have to do well in everything so they won't drag me down...

Advice?

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs

invading your mind
I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should ret
HSC
KrissiA said:
For your HSC, did you do 10, 11 or 12 units? Which do you think is better?
I'm currently on 11 units, and considering dropping Extension History because I'm feeling very snowed under at the moment (I have 3 major works)...
That leaves me with only 10 units which means I have to do well in everything so they won't drag me down...

Advice?
well I do 12 units coz it makes me feel safe. Like if I do shit one subject ...my extra subject can sort of save me. And also, what's the point in dropping a subject now? We only have like a couple of months left.:)

KrissiA

HSC
Oh yeah, I'd love to keep doing it, but the major work is due in two weeks - at the same time as another major work - and worth 80% (I'm really far behind) and my Case Study teacher and I kind of.. Had a misunderstanding, lol.

But I guess we'll see what happens (thoughts/opinions still welcome!)..

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I'm currently doing 12 units, which is quite a large workload compared to 10 or 11 units. You should stick to it for the time being, only drop if you're really struggling or detest it, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Number7

HSC
Doing 11 units, suits me perfectly.

I went back through the last 4 years of people n my school who got 90+. Only 1 person of about 50 had 10 units, most had 11-12 and a couple with 13. That's probably useless, except for the 1/50 with 10 units getting 90+ UAI. I think that says something

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Excellent advice as always Without Wings.

I think it really does depend on the person, for some people doing 10 units can work out well while otherwise might have 12 units and 'stuff up' 2 units and then at least have something to fall back on, as long as it isn't English you 'stuff up'.

I like other accelerated students am in a favourable position as I don't have to drop a subject but if i do choose to drop a subject then I shall only be doing 8 units this year (2 units completed last year), although as there is only a few months to go best to soldier on.

Currently though I am doing 10 units with only 1 major work subject (SDD), at the end of the year we should do a similar thread to warn\assist those year 10 students picking subjects with alot of major works as it comes to bite then back if they are not organised, dedicated student.......hmm I wasn't much help.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Did you do pathways?

And to the original threadstarter: you seem to enjoy it, so maybe keep it and see how you go with juggling 3 major works. I understand it's a lot--people were already killing themselves with just the one body of work for Visual Arts, but there's only a couple of months left and it's a good time management skill to learn now--it will be the same when you're juggling your HSC exams.

lala2

Banned
HSC
No, I'm at uni now. Why? (the example I give was for my grade last year, if that's what you were mistaken for).

broady

w3rd
HSC
lala2 - I accelerated SDD last year. Got a band 6. Quite handy

P

pLuvia

I do 11 units with no major works :p but have 4 extension subjects

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
I think doing 10 or 11 units is good for slackers (like me). That way there's psychological pressure for you to do well in every subject, knowing that each of them will count. It also means less work which is always a bonus.

superkim

HSC
i recently dropped chemistry, so now im on 10u. soon after my chemistry told me that iwas actually doing good in chemistry and that im beating half the people in the class. this has made me upset and made me regret it.

now that ive dropped chem, im in alot of shit cos im flunking in all my subjects. ):

Riviet

HSC
N/A
superkim said:
i recently dropped chemistry, so now im on 10u. soon after my chemistry told me that iwas actually doing good in chemistry and that im beating half the people in the class. this has made me upset and made me regret it.

now that ive dropped chem, im in alot of shit cos im flunking in all my subjects. ):
I'm not certain if you can do this but couldn't you ask to pick it up again since you could easily catch up? If you were doing decently in chemistry, you should try to get it back.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
I do 11 units with no major works :p but have 4 extension subjects
Whats the fourth Ext. subject? I thought you only did the Math and Jap Extensions.:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)