dropping a subject now.... (1 Viewer)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
does anyone know how i go about dropping a subject..

yes yes i know the HECS deadline has passed and i don't care...

do i have to speak to the lecturer (i hope not)... ?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i think it shows up as a fail on your transcript though?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
a fail? hmm.. then i better not drop it..

i want to drop PHIL250.. its just an elective, which i need if i plan to graduate on time..

actually the reason why i want to drop it is because id ont' want to write the 35% essay which was due on friday.. :(

if i drop PHIL250, then i have to drop my other degree cuz it will set me back!! bah.... but if its going to register as a fail, then i think i'll write my essay tomorrow!!

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
ok i found this:Amendment to Bachelor Degree Rule 12(1)

12(1) Where a candidate is permitted to change the program of study pursuant to Rule 4(2) following application in writing to the Registrar and such change of program includes discontinuance of a unit or units offered by the University, or where a candidate discontinues all the units in the program of study:

a) The candidate is deemed not to have been effectively enrolled in a unit if they discontinue before the unit census date;

b) The candidate is deemed to have withdrawn from a unit if the candidate discontinues after the unit census date but no later than 4 weeks after the unit census date. In such cases, the candidate’s record is endorsed with the letter “W” denoting “Withdrawn”.

c) The candidate is deemed to have failed in any unit where the candidate’s discontinuance is other than as provided in clauses a) or b) in Rule 12(1). In such cases the candidate’s record is endorsed with the letter “F” denoting “Failed”.

ReaveR

HSC
Oh, you've still got a week then, but then you'd still be explaining to employers why you withdrew...I guess you can't say you didn't want to do an essay =p

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
k,yeah they say if you drop after census date you have financial (obviously hecs) and academic penalty. i suppose the academic penalty is the W then

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i don't really mind the financial penality.. i mean really now.. we have it pretty sweet here in aus with the hecs thing... so i don't mind paying the $600- $700 for that unit...

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
i think you can do it over the web at estudent. so what unit are you dropping? what unit is giving you the shits?? :) for me, i would have dropped law because it will probably screw up my gpa, but i kept it because otherwise i would be 2 units behind graduating on time.
I'm planning on dropping one of my units and it can be made up during the summer school. It registers (for me anyway) as withdrawn without failure.

I was wondering whether the summer school is covered by HECS though?

Also do the employers question why you dropped courses?! And what implications of such questioning?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
summer school isn't covered by hecs.. plus you pay double...

and if they employers so ask, why not just make up some BS reason why you had to drop it.. like something personal happened and that you couldnt' devote time needed for study for that subject and you thought it would be better that you withdrew it rather than failed it.

doe

HSC
N/A
i dont even think they would ask. i have a few F's on my record and it was never mentioned

as someone said, you can drop units in estudent

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
they would be pretty stupid to actually be concerned about seeing a W on a record if the subject has nothing to do with the career. it means you dropped a subject late, big woop, you would still ultimatly have the same number of cp done at the end.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
yeah i looked in estudent.. and i can drop it
but i'm not sure if it will register as a FAIL or a WITHDRAWN...
by their policy i posted above, it should register as a WITHDRAWN.. but i'm not sure if i should risk it....

oh also, a WITHDRAWN does nothing to my GPA right?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
ok i dropped the unit over estudent.. it doesn't appear anywhere on my record though!! should i be worried?

went from 14cp to 10cp...

now that burden has been lifted i feel so good! :D

Last edited:

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
jlh said:
ok i dropped the unit over estudent.. it doesn't appear anywhere on my record though!! should i be worried?

went from 14cp to 10cp...

now that burden has been lifted i feel so good! :D
i dont think a W effects your gpa, but i think that nasty W will surface on your record soon... that dirty stinky 'W' does not just disappear....

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i really don't mind the W.... i don't know why people are so against it..

i'd rather get a W instead of a F!

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
jlh said:
i really don't mind the W.... i don't know why people are so against it..

i'd rather get a W instead of a F!
yeah. i agree, but ultimately i would prefer a juicy HD there instead :)

Catastrophe

HSC
i wanna drop a subject too lol...if i drop now, will i still have to pay the HECS fee?
also, the subject is a core in my degree, BUT i'm planning to transfer to accounting, which doesnt require the unit i'm doing.

to be specific, i wanna drop comp115...which i totally don't understand and stuck now. but if i drop it, i'll be having 9cp, but i need 12cp to transfer....

can i wait till 2nd semester and get my gpa according the the 12cp i do in 2nd sem?

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
yeah you have to pay HECS since its past census date.
you can credit the core subject toward ur desired accounting degree as it will count as one of ur electives instead...meaning u used up one elective early

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
ok i dropped the unit via estudent on monday....

then i went to the SES today and spoke to them... they checked and told me i have till thursday to drop a unit with a W grade but still have to pay the hecs contributions... which i had already known..

what i didn't know was that i had to fill out a form to gain my entitled learning something.. i forget.. its something about the new hecs system and how you only have a certain amount of "credit" which you use up by doing units...

anyways... phil250 is ok.. it was interesting and i actuallly liked it. but not having done any arts units for a long while, its hard to wrap my head around how thinking as an arts student is way different to an commerce student...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)