• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Drop General Maths? (1 Viewer)

veronica6535

HSC
In year 11, i came 1st for General Maths throughout the year, however since more of my subjects are humanities and focus on writing, i've been slacking off and now probably rank somewhere like 7th?
For my first assessment i got 49%
and the second one 71%

I was thinking should i drop it? Because if it gets counted in my UAI, is it gonna stuff me up?... i know that after stuffing 2 of my assessment plus gonna stuff my half yearly, im not gonna be as good as last year.. mainly because of teacher changes and unmotivation...

Drop or not??

Drop and risk having just 10 units?? AHHHHHHHH

HSC
the thing is, if you study general maths, and you know what to do, as you obviously can achieve, it requires less effort and pressure than your other subjects when it comes to your HSC.

i wouldnt drop it, personally.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
veronica6535 said:
Because if it gets counted in my UAI, is it gonna stuff me up?...
They only count your best 10 units. (thats the marks after scaling). So if they counted it, then it is because its not you lowest 2 units.

I don't know what you think, but its not the case that they take your best 10 units in terms of the HSC mark and THEN scale. They scale, then take the best 10 units.

veronica6535

HSC
me121 said:
its not the case that they take your best 10 units in terms of the HSC mark and THEN scale. They scale, then take the best 10 units.
really? i thought that assuming that i got like 79 in ext. 1 english and 80 in general maths.. they would take the maths then scale.. and because of my rank it will go down.. but if the 79 got counted it would have been better? oh well im confuseeeddd..

abcdeg

HSC
G-unit's awesome! don't drop it! its like the least stressful subject ever which is very helpful during exams, just dedicate a bit of time to it and you'll be fine! its not rocket science :p

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
If it gets counted into your UAI, then obviously it won't be the worst subject...

m&ss2008

HSC
i have to disagree with the others.

rather than wasting your time on a subject that may not get counted, you should study 10 units. general maths scales badly unless you're in the top few people in the state, and even then other subjects would give better marks

eman59

HSC
I love general maths... Should have put the effort for advanced but would definitely stay in gen...Oh well, to each his own

michael1990

HSC
Only drop it if your're finding it hard.

If you think you can do really well in it. Then do it, the UAC count your best 10 units if you do better in your other humanity subjects, they will be counted. Not General Mathematics.

bling05

HSC
Do your best 10 units get counted after they are scaled towards the UAI, or as raw marks? (Would an 89 in eco get counted before a 90 in general maths?)

michael1990

HSC
bling05 said:
Do your best 10 units get counted after they are scaled towards the UAI, or as raw marks? (Would an 89 in eco get counted before a 90 in general maths?)
No i don't think so.

Correct me if i am wrong but its your RAW marks that are counted towards the calualation of the UAI?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
bling05 said:
They get scaled, and then they take the best 10 units of scaled marks. Hence, you could get 95 (hsc mark) for one subject and 85 (hsc mark), yet for the UAI they count the 85 subject. This would occur when the 95 scaled to a smaller number than what the 85 scaled to.

veronica6535 said:
really? i thought that assuming that i got like 79 in ext. 1 english and 80 in general maths.. they would take the maths then scale.. and because of my rank it will go down.. but if the 79 got counted it would have been better? oh well im confuseeeddd..
They get scaled, and then they take the best 10 units of scaled marks. Hence, you could get 95 (hsc mark) for one subject and 85 (hsc mark), yet for the UAI they count the 85 subject. This would occur when the 95 scaled to a smaller number than what the 85 scaled to.

michael1990 said:
Correct me if i am wrong but its your RAW marks that are counted towards the calualation of the UAI?
UAC takes your raw marks, scales them to create your scaled mark, then adds up the best 10 units of scaled marks to give you an aggregate. Then UAC looks at everyones aggregate and determines the UAI rank from that.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)