drop ext 1 maths in school and still do engineering? (1 Viewer)

freedragon

HSC
im hoping to get into engineering at UTS (either civil or mechanical) but my ext maths mark is really poor. idk how, but im strong in my other subjects (top 5 in everything so far) except for ext 1 maths, which im miserably failing cos i cant find the time to fit it in.

i know i need ext 1 maths for uni but ive got 11 units and im wondering if i could drop ext 1(i dont see any hope in it) and do a bridging course for it later, when id have the time to fit it in. if i do that, i should be able to devote more time to my other subjects as well..

just wondering if UTS would still accept me cos it is assumed knowledge. if i make up the atar and do the bridging course later, i should be fine right? :(

please share any thoughts/comments to help me out!! :(

failwhale

HSC
if you're doing really good in chem and phys, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Deep Blue

HSC
If you are having trouble handling Ext 1 level maths, how are you going to handle it when you go and do an Engineering course? You can't exactly just drop it then.

freedragon

HSC
i understand the content because i have a good foundation in advanced maths, its just that my marks are bad because i have trouble studying for it while keeping up with all my other subjects... im not worried about coping with the bridging course, but im worried about getting accepted if ext 1 maths isnt on my list of completed subjects during the hsc

id much rather do a bridging course for engineering and devote sufficient time to improve in it then, rather than keep it, rush it and stuggle with it- and enter uni with a dodgy 3-unit knowledge basis

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
any amount of work you have to do now is doubled in uni, especially engineering.

if you're doing really good in chem and phys, then it shouldn't be a problem.
lol hsc 2011

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
if your doing so well in the other subjects, why don't you sacrifice some time to work on maths ext.1??

freedragon

HSC
i just feel it is a lost cause because of the marks im already stuck with... my teacher said i was looking at a band 4 IF i could pick it up... i think id be losing more than id be gaining if i did sacrifice more time for it :(

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
If you goto UTS to do engineering, first semester you will do Mathematical Modelling 1, Physical Modelling, Intro to Civil enginnering and some other subject. First semester and probably second semester and so on and so forth you will also meet the Glasshouse Bar and probably be at uni 5 days/week (I was in my first semester of engineering).
If you think you are hard pressed for time now, you will be even moreso in university, especially if you have a weekend job in order to get some cash to spend at glasshouse bar. Math Mod 1 is basically 3u Maths + Complex numbers and matrices and some other stuff. You complete this in about 14 weeks. It is pretty damn full-on. One of my friends did Math Mod 1 three times and he did 3u at school and got 70 something, so he was alright at maths too.

lishsghs

HSC
You can drop it and still handle engineering - my best friend is first year materials science engineering (on a scholarship i might add) and he did 2 unit all the way through year 12. He says the uni maths is stressful and you do have to work at it but if you have a few friends also doing engineering it should be good :)

mac_attack94

HSC
I don't want to do engineering but dropping ext 1 was the best thing that I ever did. I dropped it term four of year 11 and I'm still some topics ahead of my 2U class.

Aindan

HSC
I think you should keep mx1, It's all just a matter of finding the time and doing the practice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)