• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Drop Ext 1 English? (1 Viewer)

fuzzy09

HSC
Lately i have no idea what the hell is wrong with me, prolly stress, i dunno
but here are my subjects and rankings, i just need some help deciding whether i should drop ext 1 eng.

We just recieved an assesment that is supposed to be 20mins in length and visual rep for ext and ever since then ive totally flippd and i cant fucking write anymore, my writing sounds like stuff i wrote in yr 10, so i dunno if is hould drop it or not, it'll take the pressure off but yeah :s

v.a 2/22
english 4/15
gen maths 4/54
bio 1/14
business 1/17 - although its a good ranking im averaging 70-80s
ext eng 1/2 - 1 mark diff, but crashing badly

please dont write that i should shutup or watever cause im already feeling like shit, :(

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Drop it if you dont like it, I dropped it in like 3 weeks LOL

yummy-cookies

HSC
Are you under a lot of stress from your other subjects at the moment now?

If you are, and can't bring yourself to seriously attempt this task, drop it right away. If you are prepared to work for it, decide after you do the task and get your results back.

And don't look down on yourself to much. I'm sure your English isn't as bad as you think.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Really depend on your aim. If you are aiming fairly high, e.g. 95+ uai, then I would feel slightly uncomfortable of you doing only 10 units and with general math and visual art. Not to dumb you down or anything, as you maybe pretty smart, the fact that 50+ students in your school does general math, I would presume your cohort isn't spectacular. If your aim is indeed high, then my suggestion would be to hang on for a bit longer - my writing style during May was far worse than my writings during October (prehaps find a tutor). If otherwise, dropping it would be my suggestion.

Ultimately, of course, you do what you feel most comfortable. HSC is rarely an indicator of a person's worth in whatever career and there are countless route to success after HSC.

A quote someone gave me in bos.
"What will get to you is the paranoia/pressure you put on yourself over things that aren't worthy of it, or if you over-compensated the level of concern as per actual reality of the situation."

spoonbender

HSC
Given all your other subjects, it could really help your UAI but if there's no prospect of you doing well enough to benefit, then there's no point putting up with it.

I found that it was a real pain in the ass and I was doing crappily anyway. Dropping it changed my life. :D

EDIT: "ext eng 1/2 - 1 mark diff, but crashing badly" wait, is that your rank? If so, and your coming first, then I'd say keep it if you think you can keep this up. Also, a class of two? :p

Last edited:

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
i'd suggest keeping it, seeing as you only have 11 units. obviously, if you REALLY hate it, then drop it, but otherwise, you sound like maybe you just have writers block. once you work through that, you'll be fine.

reboulle

HSC
It really depends on a few things.
Ext. 1 needs time. When I was flipping it about an assessment I found I knew what I was doing better when I gave myself enough time.
You might be going through a rough patch also, I know I did. It could be stress. Still, to be coming first you must have some decent ability.

If it really is bringing you down then maybe consider dropping it, just don't make any sudden decisions without good planning towards it. Maybe see how you go in the next assessment and then decide?
Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)