• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

DreamGirls (1 Viewer)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
See it.

If only for Jennifer Hudson's breathtaking rendition of "And I'm telling you I'm not going".

Magical.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
i was going to watch it. no one to watch with. and meh. don't like beyonce that muchhh.

sophiaaah

HSC
went to an advanced screening with one of my friends.
thought it was very...um...meh.
beyonce kind of sucked, jennifer hudson is a great actress though. i heard beyonce was nominated for an oscar for best actress (not sure if that's true), which is pretty bizarre, because jennifer hudson really shone in her role- unlike beyonce.
hudson's little (ha) solo "and im telling you im not going" went on for waaaay too long though, and all of the meaning and credibility behind it flew out the window. everyone in the cinema was so bored by the end of it.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Your opinion is WRONG.

"And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" was the absolute highlight of a somewhat enjoyable film.

And JHud just won a Best Supporting Golden Globe, well deserved.

Beyonce got nadda. hee hee...

cirque

HSC
N/A
I was at a preview screening for it... one of the radio advance screenings. I absolutely loved this film, I can see why critics in America gave it such a good response...because it is the first musical since Chicago that actually gets it right. Yes they burst out into song... but it's done with such brilliant artistry that I couldnt help but be swept away... the audience at my screening applauded Hudon's astonshing solo number... but did groan at the end when she burst out into song... I hate the fact that audiences were so willing to accept Moulin Rouge's use of this technique, but now see the musical as so 'annoying'... why oh why have we become so cynical?

But god Jennifer Hudson is phenomenal "And I Am Telling You" is one of the best musical numbers on film EVER>

sophiaaah

HSC
AlleyCat said:
Your opinion is WRONG.

"And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" was the absolute highlight of a somewhat enjoyable film.

And JHud just won a Best Supporting Golden Globe, well deserved.

Beyonce got nadda. hee hee...
yay im glad she won.
and v. glad that beyonce didn't :)

i don't know, at the beginning/middle of "and im telling you im not going" i was in awe. i just think it dragged on a little too long, to the point where i stopped feeling her desperation.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Really?

The end of the song was the best part.

"You're gonna loooooooooooove...

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

HSC
Saw this yesterday. Really boring and predictable. Hudson can sing. I don't know why this got so many oscar nods.

0Jade0

HSC
"And I'm telling you I'm not going" Did go on for way too long. I was getting rather bored.
I'm not a big fan of musicals. I don't like the talking... suddenly singing. And singing to someone who talks back to them.
I am wondering when this acting talent of Beyonce that has been hyped up forver is going to come out. She fails. Jennifer wins.

slowjam10

HSC
I saw Dreamgirls on tuesday night and i liked it, the acting was quite good and the obvious stand out was Jennifer Hudson, the music was also really good, each song had a great beat etc and i also like how the movie transported you back into the sixties with the sets and the costumes it reminded me of the show American Dreams which in Austrlia is called Our Generation with the actress Brittany Snow it used to be on Channel Sevena and it was about a family in the 60's and the kids were on Bandstand.

Also would anyone else like to see in a remake of Cleopatra ...hmm ?

HSC
Seen it today and loved it. It made me happy when they were vindicated. Great performance from Beyonce and she surely is a multi-talented artist.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
0Jade0 said:
"And I'm telling you I'm not going" Did go on for way too long. I was getting rather bored.
I'm not a big fan of musicals. I don't like the talking... suddenly singing. And singing to someone who talks back to them.
I am wondering when this acting talent of Beyonce that has been hyped up forver is going to come out. She fails. Jennifer wins.
I'm not a fan of spontaneous singing either. I liked the songs, but not the talking-to-each-other-through-singing. It would be okay if it really was a musical, but it was sort of half-musical half-movie.

I liked both Jennifer Hudson and Beyonce, but I really liked "Listen", as you can see from my avvie and schtuff. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)