drama=bad uai??? (1 Viewer)

Mrs-Darcy

HSC
I'd love it if you drama guys out there could help me with this one.
Here's the predicament.
I'm from a small country school with not the best resources for drama and lets face it, most of the kids are in my class for the bludge. Thus, a group performance may be painful. (not to mention scary!!)
I am trying to decide whether to continue on with drama in '09 or to drop that and continue on with general maths instead.
It's a reallllly difficult decision because while i absolutely SUCK at maths and hate it (failed my year 11 yearly), I've heard that it's nearly impossible to get a good UAI if you do drama?!
Then again, I'm quite sure my crapness at maths would weigh down my UAI too..
Oh dear.. Any tips, direction, insight, or success stories from HSC drama survivors to help me with this decision of what to drop!?

L i L O

HSC
That's bullshit.
As long as you do well, pull in high band 5 or low band 6 at the least, your UAI will not be affected.

I know a guy who did Drama last year, and got a band 6 - his UAI was something like 96.5.
So yeah, it depends how committed you are. Group is only 30% remember - so unless your class is full of total fucktards, I'd suggest you just keep Drama and work really hard.

CardCheat

Under house arrest.
HSC
Mrs-Darcy said:
I'd love it if you drama guys out there could help me with this one.
Here's the predicament.
I'm from a small country school with not the best resources for drama and lets face it, most of the kids are in my class for the bludge. Thus, a group performance may be painful. (not to mention scary!!)
I am trying to decide whether to continue on with drama in '09 or to drop that and continue on with general maths instead.
It's a reallllly difficult decision because while i absolutely SUCK at maths and hate it (failed my year 11 yearly), I've heard that it's nearly impossible to get a good UAI if you do drama?!
Then again, I'm quite sure my crapness at maths would weigh down my UAI too..
Oh dear.. Any tips, direction, insight, or success stories from HSC drama survivors to help me with this decision of what to drop!?
tbqh. drama scales like a bitch. (terribly)

i would advise against it

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Depends how good you are at Drama. Think about it, between the two essays and your IP, that's 70%. Only 30% of your mark is based upon group work, and even then, you should be able to get some marks out of then. After all, there not going to 'completely' jepordise there own HSC. Lets say you only get 15/30 marks out of them

That still leaves you with a possible 85 to play with. Which, to be honest, is probably the maximum mark you could get in general maths. And if your bad at it, well, then it would be even lower.

I'm doing drama for HSC, and with my marks, I'm expecting around a high band five or a band six.

Do what you enjoy, you won't regret it.

maddie01

HSC
if your good at drama and you can pull ou a mark above 85 then it wont hit you uai too badly. Because it scales bad it might drop a little bit with a 85. You have to do what you enjoy. I LOVE drama and when you love something it shows- you are better at things you enjoy. And Absolutezero is right- if you completely flunk maths but get a 80+ in drama its a better outcome. General maths doesn't exactly scale great either.

Mrs-Darcy

HSC
Wow, thanks for all the insight and advice there...
Hmmm...
Drama would probably scale a bit worse than general maths though hey?

maddie01

HSC
Probably- but if your going to get a higher mark in drama it would be aroud the same depending on the actual marks

SpoonSamba

HSC
drama does not scale that bad

if you go by the SAM it scales better than ancient history

if i were u the biggest deterrent form doing drama is that u have a shit class and if ur gp sux like it counts for a quarter of all ur assessment so it'd mad pull down ur mark, in which case yes it would scale badly

but if u hate maths u aren't gonna work as hard and not do as well and general maths scales crap too so yeh.

but drama is time consuming if u wanna excel

yes that is my input

*Drama-Queen*

HSC
Personally, I would think that it all depends on what you want to do after school. If you want to do a performance based corse, most of it goes on the audition and not your UAI. And they're always looking for people with experience - ie having studied drama would be a grea benifit to you ...

Places like NIDA, WAAPA, VCA and Wesley go mainly on your audition and past expereience in the field.

And DRAMA is a great subject - a good relief from school life - persoanlly i would keep the drama but i guess the descion is up to you.

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
SpoonSamba said:
drama does not scale that bad

if you go by the SAM it scales better than ancient history

if i were u the biggest deterrent form doing drama is that u have a shit class and if ur gp sux like it counts for a quarter of all ur assessment so it'd mad pull down ur mark, in which case yes it would scale badly

but if u hate maths u aren't gonna work as hard and not do as well and general maths scales crap too so yeh.

but drama is time consuming if u wanna excel

yes that is my input
err, no.

electrik1991

HSC
Drama is good stress relief when you don't have to hand in essays.

be aware, group performance can put strain on the relationships with your classmates (conflicting ideas, etc)
so if they are not creative at all, they are giving you the shits and drama isn't crucial to you, I'd bail.

don't forget, if you do awesome and they go really bad they will probably drag your mark down.

It's up to you wether you think it's worth it.

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)