Downloading Music...Your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Pierotte

HSC
I feel guilty when i download stuff.

The guilt is increased 10 fold if i actually like the band.

I know the artists dont get alot of of CD's.. but atleast they get something.

I do however download rareities (sp), bootlegs and live recordings often.

I dont see the point of downloading. If i like a song I'll buy the CD.

If im not sure if ill like the CD ill listen to snippets at amazon.com (has most of the cd's im after) or ill go to a larger CD store and get them to put it on for me on the headphone things (like at virgin) rather than downloading.

Oh wait.. maybe were talking LEGAL downloading, like I-tunes and stuff. Yeah i cant be stuffed with all that.

Personally i find nothing better than getting the whole CD and listening to it complete, start to finish.
Appreciating what the composers were thinking at the time.
Thinking about the CD's structure.
Getting songs which u wouldnt normally pay attention to, but after a listen or two they become pleasently surprising at how good they are.

I dunno.

My thoughts.

Fin.

Numero Uno

HSC
Downloading free music , theres nothing wrong with it , theres little or no chance that ur going to be prosecuted ?? so yeah ill just keep on doing ..
Cd's are a waste of money

spiny norman

HSC
Generally if I download something and keep a copy of it I intend to buy it later.

It's a good thing if you want to see the quality of something without sharking out some gross sum of money to hear it.

But generally, if an artist does something I appreciate, I figure I should pay them for it. Plus I like owning the commercial good, for some reason.

persephone

HSC
I download most music unless it's a band/singer that I really like. Otherwise I download. I use Limewire. It's just much cheaper. I don't really think about how it affects the artists or anything like that.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
man, my computer is nothing but music, sure i do buy cd's too from time to time, but if it's available freely on the net, and over 5 million people download it, then i don't really put the guilt on myself, the people that put the music online in the first place are the ones that should feel guilt, if any, it's put up there ready for me, and i'm doing nothing but taking it, so i wouldnt consider myself guilty..haha..remembering how i was talking about my downloaded stuff at school in sdd, lol, the teacher heard me and was like "that's not right....shhhh! i'll pretend i didnt hear you say that. it's violating copyright n privacy laws etc etc"...gave me a lecture, i was like smile, nod..."sure miss..but.." "but no!" "yes miss...."

santaslayer

HSC
Music should be freely available to everyone free of charge. Isn't that why most artists create music? To share?

Pierotte

HSC
santaslayer said:
Music should be freely available to everyone free of charge. Isn't that why most artists create music? To share?

interesting.

..also alot of the artists whose music i like are dead...

hmm i maaay convert. But.. i still like CD's. Nice and shiny and mmm.

Some_Guy

HSC
spiny norman said:
Generally if I download something and keep a copy of it I intend to buy it later.

It's a good thing if you want to see the quality of something without sharking out some gross sum of money to hear it.

But generally, if an artist does something I appreciate, I figure I should pay them for it. Plus I like owning the commercial good, for some reason.
ditto. im an album type person not a song person thus i usually dl a few songs on an album to see if its worth getting.

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
Free, i like em' free and illegal. Why pay for it when you can get it for free?

Having said that i will go out and but the CD of a band that i really like, especially if it is an upcoming aussie band

arrested development
HSC
For bands I know I love I will always buy their CDs without hesitation, but if I'm interested in a new band I will download the album first and if it's good I will go out and buy it right away. I like to have all my pretty CDs lined up alphabetically in my CD cabinet. ;)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Even if I did buy a CD because I really liked the band or something I would still download the entire album first to check it out, and then the CD would sit in my drawer and never come out because WAV files on a CD are useless to me. I'd be listening to the mp3 copy I illegally downloaded to start with.

And I will never consider paying to download music as long as there are limitations on what you can do with them once you get them on your computer. And then there is always the problem of losing your files. If I lose my illegally downloaded music it doesn't cost me anything to get it back.

Add to that it is stupid to pay for something you can get for free.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Interesting perspectives we've had in this thread.

A few questions:

1. Does quality matter to you?
2. What formats do you listen to? (mp3, aac, mpg, mpc, etc)
3. Do you support the artists/bands in other ways?
4. Do you think this culture of downloading will change? Or will the music industry need to reinvent itself?
5. Do you think it's beneficial to artists' who previously could not get a label, to advertise for minimal funds via the internet and gain a following?

Its interesting to note that the 'sign' of supporting artists has been to buy their cd, but in fact this has more to do with supporting record labels. Which seems fine until you come across a smaller label or independent label who rely on such revenue.

It is without a doubt that most artists get direct funds from merchandise and touring, rather than cd sales.

HSC
for me, i used to be a heavy music downloader - as soon as we switched from dial-up to broadband i downloaded music and music vids non-stop

but now i feel kinda guilty just downloading music for free - id rather go out and get the CD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)