download counter/limiter (1 Viewer)

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
fuckshit fuck cunt shit.

Capped for the 2nd month in a row because retard younger brother watches 5 hours of tv-links.co.uk a day

Need some sort of traffic counter or limiter.

running XP

go!

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
netlimiter would be the easy way to go, but it means you have to install it on all the computers in your network, which in turn means that if your brother has half a brain he'll know how to get around it.

mr_brightside

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Upgrade your plan.
which costs more?

goony said:
netlimiter would be the easy way to go, but it means you have to install it on all the computers in your network, which in turn means that if your brother has half a brain he'll know how to get around it.
will have a look

mr_brightside

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Depends on who you are with now.
TPG. ADSL 2+. 18GB dl limit
$49.95 per month.

And I don't know about netlimiter, it looks like it just restricts bandwith.
I want something that installs on the home pc and shows all the PC on the networks actual downloads, not just the speeds and controling the speeds:
192.168.1.3 uploaded x and downloaded x
192.168.1.4 uploaded x and downloaded x

Or am I retarded and are using it wrong?! ^___^

mr_brightside

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Wouldn't it be easily to just hurt your brother if he wastes the quota?
1. I have no proof.
2. It will just piss us both off further.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
mr_brightside said:
1. I have no proof.
2. It will just piss us both off further.
...but all of a sudden not being able to do anything because you limited his downloads wouldn't piss him off?

Fortunately for me I am the one that uses all my Internet bandwidth. Of the 102gb used last month 100gb of it was mine and 2gb was the other 4 people in my house.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Ah i kinda misread your post. Check out the TPG website. If i recall correctly, TPG have a traffic calculator don't they? (That should be able to monitor a certain connection's daily download rate/total downloads/quota for rest of the month/other stats)

They should have one anyway...i'm not sure what TPG offers in terms of support software. Most ISPs have some sort of program to do that (i'm with internode at the moment and they have that).

Speaking of TPG...they're coming out with that ADSL2+ 150GB plan for 70 bucks a month or something. 20 bucks for more than 8 times the downloads per month? (I think you get locked into a contract though).

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Cant you look at your ISP website? I use Optus unlimited plan and can see my usage in realtime on the website.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
If you restrict his access to User on your computer, you should be able to cap him with little issues.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Good advice here people.
I have the same problem bright, my brother users much of the monthly usage allowance. A program where you can limit the amount used per day would be welcoming. When the daily usage is reached the internet access will slow to say 64kbs, and then the next day, will speed back up to 364kbs.

edit: Bigpond seriously needs to restucture their plans.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
24 month contract. :rofl:
I thought we were on a 12 month contract but only recently found out we're on a 24.

But true, bigpond is a no no.

mr_brightside

HSC
goony said:
Ah i kinda misread your post. Check out the TPG website. If i recall correctly, TPG have a traffic calculator don't they? (That should be able to monitor a certain connection's daily download rate/total downloads/quota for rest of the month/other stats)

They should have one anyway...i'm not sure what TPG offers in terms of support software. Most ISPs have some sort of program to do that (i'm with internode at the moment and they have that).

Speaking of TPG...they're coming out with that ADSL2+ 150GB plan for 70 bucks a month or something. 20 bucks for more than 8 times the downloads per month? (I think you get locked into a contract though).
1. Yes it does, but that doesn't help me either. I want to distinguish the difference between our usage. The ISP calculation don't tell me shit cause we're going through the same line.

2. The ADSL2+ 150GB plan has been out for a few weeks. Parentals will not pay moar for internets. I'm not paying more because I don't fucking cap it.

zimmerman8k said:
it seems difficult since how would the program be able to distinguish between you and your brother.
our LAN IP address? I could buy some sort of 1337 router but again, I'm not paying shit for something that isn't my fault.

zimmerman8k said:
iDEA! if u have internet security software use the parental control feature to block his fav video streaming sites.
I don't want to block him out. He can do whatever the fuck he wants, as long as he only uses half of our DL limit. That's what I want.

PrinceHarry said:
Cant you look at your ISP website? I use Optus unlimited plan and can see my usage in realtime on the website.
See Point 1 up there ^

Excalibur_ said:
If you restrict his access to User on your computer, you should be able to cap him with little issues.
nah mang. he's got his own computer.

and lulz @ bigpond.
moar like bigjoke.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
To monitor network activity like that, you could install a program onto each computer and just look at it.

Otherwise you will need to download a sniffer, which, because of it's questionable ethical uses, could be harder to find.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
mr_brightside said:
The ADSL2+ 150GB plan has been out for a few weeks. Parentals will not pay moar for internets. I'm not paying more because I don't fucking cap it.
I'm so annoyed that I can't get ADSL2+. I'm stuck paying $75/month for 8Mb. I don't think I'll ever be able to get ADSL2+ on my phone line.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
UGH I HATE IT TOO. We get capped halfway through the month EVERY month, and we're on the highest Optus plan... we have 5 exchange students from China who pay for half the internet, Optus wouldn't let them install a new connection because they all have laptops and wanted us to get a wireless router...

We need a new company ffs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)